returning player, can't run game on new win10 computer

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Eradani, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Eradani Well-Known Member

returning player with brand new computer. i've used Launchpad to update the game but everquest2.exe crashes with no message shortly after starting. it seems to be waiting for something as several times the window has said "not responding" for a short time before crashing. i have upgraded my drivers and checked through the posts here.

EQ2 build: 14069L validated several times
    eq2 folder copied from old computer and then updated with launchpad
    deleted contents of cache folder

Hard wired to the web (ie: not wifi). Zone alarm firewall has permanent exceptions set.

windows 10 home 64-bit (10.0 build 15063)
    directX 12
    16 gig RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060

Hard drive free space: 165 gig

In the eq2 install directory (was there before also):
    d3d10.dll
    d3d10core.dll
    d3d10_1.dll
    d3d10_1core.dll
    d3d11.dll
    D3DCompiler_43.dll
    d3dx9_31.dll
    d3dx9_35.dll
    d3DX9_43.dll
    last night i'd DL'd dx9 setup from somewhere else and installed it into system files (i suppose but who knows with win10). this morning i DL'd feldon's dx9.zip and found the files were already in the eq2 folder
  2. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Perhaps you need to run game installer because of firewall. It should take care of it.
    Try also to run the game as administrator (right-click on Evequest2.exe in game folder).
  3. Eradani Well-Known Member

the game doesn't have an installer in the way that other windows programs do. it just needs the files copied.

and i forgot to mention that i'd already tried running as administrator and that didn't help
  4. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

You still need the DirectX9 installation, even though you have the new directx, it's still a problem. Sorry I don't have a link.
    Finora likes this.
  5. Eradani Well-Known Member

i did that already hun - i installed it to whereever win10 puts it and then i went to unzip feldon's file into eq2 folder and it was already there
  6. Eradani Well-Known Member

/grrr can't edit. i believe dxdiag only shows the highest directX version - plz correct me if i'm wrong
  7. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I would run installer. It will take some time and some bandwidth though. Check eq2 download section if you decide to do it.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I would also recommend reinstalling the Launchpad from the Download the Game link on this page.
  9. Eradani Well-Known Member

the launchpad works fine, Sig
  10. Eradani Well-Known Member

i found something in the Event Viewer about .net giving an error and it triggered something about needing several versions of that installed also to make eq2 run correctly. but i have a horrible headache from the new screen and font size so i've moved to my other computer and will check on the .net when my headache clears up
  11. Juraiya Well-Known Member

Eradni, Win 10 installs the latest DirectX, but EQ2 requires DirectX 9 specifically, which is an older DirectX. That means you need version 9 in addition to whatever the most current version is.

I'm not sure if that's what you had meant in your third post, but it looks like you meant you have the version Windows 10 installs. Which is NOT version 9.
  12. Eradani Well-Known Member

d3dx9_31.dll
    d3dx9_35.dll
    d3DX9_43.dll

from feldon's site and also, they were already there
  13. Eradani Well-Known Member

just in case anyone looks through this thread in the future

i must have messed something up while i was trying to make windows readable for me before trying to run eq2 as i ended up...

resetting windows (new form of reinstall) to factory settings and then being very very careful about was i was tweaking and eq2 ran. at first, it took minutes for the launchpad to come up but then i disabled all the spare mcafee processes that were running and everything is fine.
    Juraiya and Rosyposy like this.
  14. Nesh New Member

Windows 10 Streaming Client works (Kinda)
    however for the Windows 10:Spring/Fall 2018 Creators updates its an absolute shite workaround.

wile it works , its slow as all hell.
    You can move the folder to eq2.old and go fishing for some content/s

ie paks etc.. however with DS-HELL Technology the streaming client works , even with wifi game will run..
    you can re-add music and packs folder as game runs to drop load times. you will however have to likely remove them every time to re-launch ......

(unfortunately the new bigger Apartment one side has sweet Cable oh be upto 200M-1 gig / & AT&T/FIOS/others ... , and My side Only AT&T DS-hell of 25-75 megs if it rains kerrrrrrrrplop goes even those speeds. ) (IT for a living .. so as the Dark elf lady says : "You call this a selection, I call it an ultimatum" the DSL only bit has me wanting to "RAGE KILL without Mercy" till they offer cable on this side of the street again... , I do like Linux or other IT consulting work were moving a few Terabytes of month is nothing.. DSL feels so slow ... not rsync'ing a TB in less than a week over dsl.. )

so whilst the streaming client dose work load times can be pure garbage.

if i had a Linux Proxy Server I could reduce the Streaming clients load times over time. however have to clean ie un-install re-install about every time , can use old eq2 folder to keep copies of assets music/paks custom UI's its a cut paste copies every launch