Returning player a tad confused.

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by CervecaPorfavor, Dec 10, 2012.

1. CervecaPorfavor New Member

Hey folks! Just wondering what other expansions I get with CoE? Let's say I want to play a beastlord, do I have to buy age of discovery as well?
  2. Le Clown Active Member

3. Snowhaze Active Member

Actually, AoD is the only expansion that doesn't come with CoE and I believe AoD introduced the beastlord, so I would guess, yes, you probably do have to buy AoD to play a beastlord, use mercenaries and reforge.
  4. Badfinger New Member

I considered coming back also, but $80 is too harsh in this day and age, that's just too far out of line, imho.

Free to play on our old high level characters is also ridiculous, have to pay to even use the current gear.

They got a little too greedy, considering the game's age, imo, $80 + sub, no way, way too many other options.

I have a level 90 and paid for a sub for at least 3 years, that's just too much to see if it's worth coming back, now.

You would think they'd have spammed us old timers with cheap return offers, they got nothing to lose, everything to gain. *hint hint*
  5. Snowhaze Active Member

$80 is a bit steep, but you really don't need either of those expansions for a good while if you are starting new. I paid for both (for my wife's account as well) and am having a blast, so even though the game is old, its still fun and worth the money imo.

Knowing what I know now, I would start a gold subscription and probably buy AoD for leveling with mercenaries and the research assistant, then when I hit 80+, I'd buy CoE if I was still having fun and wanted to continue.
  6. ZUES Well-Known Member

The only thing AoD is good for anymore is skyshrine powerleveling and mercs. Don't waste your money. One expansion later and all the benefits of AoD got no attention what so ever.
  7. Raethen New Member

Doesn't AoD also enable the last 20 AA points? Also Beastlord was introduced with AoD.
  8. Sogapa Active Member

You only need AoD for the mercs, beastlord, reforging and that last 20 AA.. A lot of people have trouble finding something to spend that last 20 AA on anyway. Reforging is nice, but not necessary. Mercs can be helpful, but are far from necessary. I would say don't bother with AoD, until you decide whether you want to stick around.

Skyshrine comes with DoV, so you would still have access to that content. Although I guess in the OP's case he wants to specifically play beastlord, so in that case he would need AoD....but could wait on CoE until he is 90