Returning monk, Sentinel of Fate, Re-Spec...

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Lordvoss, Feb 17, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Lordvoss Guest

Hi guys i am returning from a long journey trough Vanguard and Aion, but back to EQ2...
    I am level 78 atm and have around 100 AA
    I was confident that my STR and Int line was fine but i guess that have changed. I want to max my DPS and i mostly solo but could also Group/Raid. DPS is my major concern.
    What is the new AA line to go as for Brawler and monk tree, I know that it might have changed with the new expension.
    Every feedback and help would be very appreciated, i am happy to return to nek servers and see my guild is still Alive (Embracers of light)
  2. ARCHIVED-BlueX Guest

Basically the two major things of note for dps are our new Flurry AA, and Crane Flock getting lower recast and a duration AA. The Mantis Bolt proc also got a boost.
    I would basically spec dps like this:
    Str: 4-10-0-0-8 (DA, Flurry)
    Agi: 4-10 (Reuse)
    Sta: 4-10 (Proc)
    Wis: 10-10-2-2-8 (Proc, Crane Flock, CF duration)
    Int: 4-10 (Crit chance)
    The remaining 3 points, put in whatever you think will help you most (e.g. Pressure Point, Baton Flurry, Eagle Spin).
    If you really want Chi, you can drop the Sta line and get it, but I wouldn't really recommend it.
    Having been specced Chi for a while, over time I found it less useful than it appears on paper, because of timing between auto-attacks and long recast. If you start Chi in the middle of a long fight, your CAs are already spaced out too much to take full advantage of Chi's casting speed buff (i.e. you still can't get 2 CAs in between auto-attacks since you already spaced them out). So to get Chi's full effect, you pretty much have to lead off with it, which is sometimes not desirable for groups / raids. Also, it's recast makes it inefficient in a good group. E.g. you use it, but then it's not back up in time for the next boss fight. So, it goes unused far too often just due to mechanics.
  3. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Xerq@Crushbone wrote:
    That is pretty much my spec except 1 less point in mantis bolt and I grabbed the death save.
  4. ARCHIVED-Cylmore Guest

BChizzle and Xerq, any chance you guys can screenshot all three lines of how you're set up? I'd like to see some long range set ups (I have 136 points now but want to look to the future too). Of course I have my own ideas and don't want to copy, but I'm sure there are things I haven't thought of yet. Thanks!
  5. ARCHIVED-Colton1234 Guest

BChizzle, Do you run seperate specs for tanking / DPS or do you just run the 1 spec ?
  6. ARCHIVED-BlueX Guest

Cylmore wrote:
    I'll see what I can do there. However, I'm only at 206ish AA, and spent most of my existing points in the class and subclass trees, so my shadow tree is barely started. Also, our sub-class tree is mostly garbage for dps. There are some obvious things to take (anything that increases damage or lowers reuse on CAs), but otherwise it's a bit subjective.
  7. ARCHIVED-Cylmore Guest

Very cool. Like I said, I'm not looking to copy, I'd just like to see what others are doing. I'm trying to see different opinions and make some informed decisions. The best way for me to see it tho is graphically so I can visualize my line. I'm at 136 so a good look at how someone spent 206 works great. And of course, it'll make me ask questions so I can understand things better.
  8. ARCHIVED-urgthock Guest

AA builds are very personal things due to the flexibility encountered with different people having different levels of gear as well as personal preference. However, with that said, here is my take on 2 AA builds. One for tanking and one for soloing/DPSing.
    Solo/DPS:
    Brawler tree:
    Starter - 1
    Str - 4 10 8 2 8 (Chi = BEAST)
    Agi - 4 10
    Sta - 4 10 (Don't get rid of this. It is doing great DPS on parses)
    Wis - 4 10 8 2 3
    Int - 4 6
    Total = 98
    Monk tree:
    Horse kick - 5
    Rising phoenix - 5
    Rising dragon - 5
    Morning star - 5
    Five rings - 5
    Stifling palm - 5
    Punch - 5
    Cobra - 4
    Talon - 5
    Tsunami - 5
    Outward calm - 5
    Mend - 5
    Will of heavens 1 - 2
    Will of heavens 2 - 3
    Iron stance - 5
    Superior riposte - 1
    Silence - 5
    Snow blindness - 5
    Outward tranquility - 5
    Numbing blows - 5
    provoking - 2
    Total = 92
    TSO:
    Health - 5
    Power - 5
    Swinging strike - 5
    Offensive prowess - 5
    Battle hardening - 5
    Sneering assault - 1
    Tactical precision - 5
    Cobra - 3
    Thunder strike - 5
    Inner focus - 1
    Mend - 5
    Cobra - 5
    Followup - 1
    Mitigating blows - 5
    Bob & weave - 2
    Hidden opening - 2
    Total = 60
    Tanking:
    Brawler:
    Starter - 1
    Str - 8 in endline only (Tiger reflexes)
    Agi - 4 10 3
    Sta - 4 10 10 2 6
    Wis - 4 10 10 2 8
    Tenacity - 4
    Total = 96
    Monk:
    Horse kick - 5
    Rising phoenix - 5
    Rising dragon - 5
    Morning star - 5
    Five rings - 5
    Stifling Palm - 5
    Enhance Scowl - 5
    Enhance infuriation - 5
    Tsunami - 5
    Outward calm - 5
    Mend - 5
    Will of heavens 1 - 2
    Will of heavens 2 - 3
    Body like mountain - 5
    Iron stance - 5
    Superior riposte - 1
    Dragons rage - 5
    Outward tranquility - 5
    Numbing blows - 5
    provoking - 2
    Total = 88
    TSO:
    Health - 5
    Power - 5
    Battle hardening - 5
    Offensive prowess - 5
    Rescue - 5
    Sneering - 1
    Tranquil forewarning - 5
    Tactical precision - 5
    Deflecting blow - 5
    Aversion - 5
    Inner focus - 1
    Mend - 5
    Mitigating blows - 5
    Meditative healing - 5
    Bob & Weave - 2
    Hidden openings - 2
    Total = 66
  9. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Don't follow this Urgthock's aa's they are horrible,
  10. ARCHIVED-urgthock Guest

BChizzle wrote:
    Rather than being as dismissive as you were, why don't you try giving constructive criticism instead. Tell me why they are horrible and be specific with your reasoning and examples. Or is it simply yet another issue of I say it's this way and I am right and everyone else is wrong?
  11. ARCHIVED-Silzin Guest

Some things i would do differently on the tank spec is drop WIS and get INT. the 4-10-10-2-8 for INT would be better for me when tanking. since i only have about 40 ish crit before i take the int chit it helps with the agro crits and the int endlines help with taking double attaches and in eminences. I think Tenacity is useless, maybe 1 ranck, but 2 death saves in 20 sec's... i dont see the 2 extra points being worth it. Monk spec looks ok, but i like the Evade. and i also know that a lot of monks dont, but i like to be able to not to have to FD to lows aggro when i am OTing, so i can just seep dpsing and drop some hate. I dont like Meditative healing, but i still use it. so cant say not to. other then that tank looks fine to me. for the dps.. I dont see as much of a boost for CHI as it should so i have droped it, i am just to close to the caps to make it worth the point investment . agen i like the 10 crit... and the rest looks pretty slandered. but i do mostly grouping and some raiding and spend most of my time in my tank spec.
  12. ARCHIVED-urgthock Guest

Well first off, let me say thank you for giving clear and concise, reasoned responses as to why you have and would make changes to your personal AA build. Also let me state I do not (of course) have 250 AA yet but these are my current planned AA builds. Also, as always, with the hard cap limits on AA one must give in some areas to gain in others. Also let me say that I have never tanked in a raid, nor do I raid much. So my particular tanking spec is for Heroic content.
    Silzin wrote:
    I took the WIS because I view this setup as an AE tank spec, something that TSO has hammered into my consciousness for the last year and a half almost. Most of the time when I am tanking in a group I will have a dirge to increase my crit and so I give up a bit of melee crit in order to increase my AE DPS. Also, since I exclusively tank heroic content, I find it easier to deal with the harder hits and double attacks etc, with the many other survivability tools we have at hand such as bob and weave, tsunami, etc.
    Silzin wrote:
    It may very well be useless even at 1 rank as it necessitates a bit of clairvoyance on my part to know when to use it. There is a good chance I will move these points elsewhere after I experiment with it a bit unless they change this AA.
    Silzin wrote:
    Again, I only ever tank heroic content so no OTing really going on here. And I believe my DPS spec leaves me just enough survivability and aggro resources to tank in an emergency if I am in a group (as DPS) and the tank goes down.
    Silzin wrote:
    Since I do not have a lot (hardly any really as I don't raid on my monk) of endgame gear, I do recognize quite a bit of an increase from Chi.
    Again, thank you for your reasoned responses and I will definitely look to make changes if my gear reaches a point where I stop to see gains from my current setup.
  13. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

urgthock wrote:
    I'll keep it simple for you, any monk using chi and saying its "BEAST" should never be listened to.
  14. ARCHIVED-BlueX Guest

Ok, so here is my dps spec so far. Keep in mind this is purely for group / raid dps. I may even spec slightly differently for solo.

[IMG]
    3 pts left for whatever.

[IMG]
    15 pts left to play with. That's enough to take Evade Check or fill out some solo AAs. Note that the right line is pretty much useless (accuracy is a non-issue. power issues are resolvable by other means), but it beats putting points in taunts for a dps spec. This is also why I chose to put points in Mend, Will of the Heavens, Outward Calm, and Tsunami enhancers instead of filling out the right line. They are at least useful for keeping yourself alive through AEs and detrimentals so you can keep dpsing.
    Also, I hate combination, but it is extra dps if you can ever get it to work.

[IMG]
    Nothing special here. I want to get that last point for our raidwide, cobra circle, lightning fist, and the 2 bottom dmg CA enhancers. The rest is subjective (for dps).
  15. ARCHIVED-Xill Guest

BChizzle wrote:
    Amazing, 2 incredibly useful posts in a row. How do you do it? But really you could have let him know what you thought was wrong with what he posted, it didn't even have to be detailed but just saying that is only going to ensure another clueless monk is running around.
  16. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Xill wrote:
    I have been repeating the same thing over and over again for years I can't be anymore helpful. Besides he is a great example of what not to do.
  17. ARCHIVED-AustinB Guest

If I get another piece or two of SF gear that has stats like +8 DA/crit on the same item I'm going to be dropping the int line completely. I'm also going to be dropping points from the DA in the strength line in order to get the block chance. This will also free up a lot of AA point that can be used elsewhere.
  18. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Xill wrote:
    Not a good idea, unfortunately or fortunatly our end game gear is have alot of crit bonus but not alot of crit you probably will want to keep the int line going.
  19. ARCHIVED-AustinB Guest

I haven't seen any of the raid level jewelry, but if it follows from the heroic level gear I would expect each piece to have something like 10 crit and DA on most of the pieces. My plan was to pick up the brawler armour and the raid jewelry to keep my crit and DA up high.

My goal is currently to get about 100 to 110 self buffed crit chance, it would be nice to be able to get that without having to spend 14 points in the int line.
  20. ARCHIVED-urgthock Guest

BChizzle wrote:
    I'm sure if you are in an end game raid guild and have good enough gear, you are more than likely near the caps on what Chi offers. However, for the majority that don't sprinkle raid mobs on their Wheaties for breakfeast, Chi is beast.
    *Gasp* I said it again!