Returning class question

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Aurelius, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Aurelius New Member

Hey all! I’m looking to return to EQ2 after being away for several expansions. I’ve been away from the EQ2 scene so long that I’m going to start back with a new toon to relearn and rediscover the game. And to that end, I’ve been reading what I can about the various classes and how they might have changed from what I remember.

I’m hoping to solicit some class feedback. I currently carry two jobs, have a family with three kids (the oldest of which is currently being treated for cancer), so my play style revolves around the ability to solo/molo the majority of my the time, but I'd like to be able to jump in with group activities as my time allows. Since I traditionally gravitate toward and enjoy tanks classes, I’ve narrowed it down between the Berserker, Paladin and Shadowknight. Any feedback on how these classes might fit the bill (or even maybe something else I haven’t considered) would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your time!
  2. rutro Well-Known Member

Welcome back!! First off I commend you for your dedication to life in general. Also, I wish you God Speed when it comes to your children. Tanks- Zerker for awesome dps and AE, Pally- would be better going Guard- less dps but good aggro control SK- same as Zerk but you have mostly disease dmg. and self heals are base on active spells vs proc heals as a Zerk. I would go with Guard or Zerk if you want to raid, and SK if you just want to be OP....LOL!
  3. Aurelius New Member

Thank you very much for the quick response!

As far as game goals, I don't foresee me having time to raid, but I do like instance grouping as time permits. So, im looking for a tank that's enjoyable to solo but can also get the job done in a group.

Thanks again!
  4. Aurelius New Member

A quick question based off additional reading, is there much difference between the Zerk and SK AoE damage? And is there much difference between the two's solo survivability?

Thanks again!
  5. Cragfire Well-Known Member

I returned to the game roughly two months ago after a several year break. I took up a new Zerker with my level 100 boost; have to say I'm quite happy with the class.

As a tip, work crafting up as well and get the goblin merc as soon as you can. He has a buff that's always up which procs a 100k AE heal on every melee or spell hit. It's pretty awesome.

What I'm getting at, between Zerker and SK, play the one you like more. :)
  6. Aurelius New Member

Thank you for the response! Is the goblin merc available to everyone? And it sounds like it's via crafting? Does it letter which craft?

Thanks!
  7. Cragfire Well-Known Member

The goblin merc is gained via the crafting questline in KA; where you set your gathering goblin (AA) free but can then higher him back later on as a merc.

Available to everyone, that I'm not sure. I wouldn't see why not. Though if you have zero crafting he can take a while to get. Crafting Epic 1 (original kunark), with proof of the pudding, and finally the crafting line in KA.

Note I went from 55 to 100 crafting, Epic 1, Pudding and Epic 2 for crafting all in a weekend. Ug.. it was rought but got it done.
  8. Ashenheart Member

I am in a very similar situation (child with long term, complex health issues). This limits my play time to mostly solo. Occasional groups. No raids. Mostly, I run my necro. But I have been having a good time with a zerk and an inquis (battle cleric spec'd). Using a fury merc with the zerk and a sk merc with the inquis. No problems with solo content (i.e. I only die against boss mobs occasionally).
  9. Billzbub Active Member

Forget the goblin merc for now. It is FAR easier to get Zhugrus, and he can heal pretty well. All you need is a jumper mount which you can get by doing quests in Butcherblock at level 35. Then you go to the level 100 overland heroic Zek zone and disco all the locations. It will give you an achievement, and the reward is the ability to higher Zhugrus, who is in the same zone over in a tent by the entrance to the heroic Zek instance. He's very easy to get, but he trivializes content all the way up to level 99.
  10. Cragfire Well-Known Member

True, true.. Zhugrus is awesome and is far easier to get...