Returning after *many* years - some basic questions.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by dorotea, Dec 15, 2019.

1. dorotea Well-Known Member

I used to know all of this but a lot that I remember may have changed so I am asking some questions as if I never played before. Sorry for the questions being so basic.

1. All-access is the only way to subscribe to EQ2 right? There is no cheaper subscription that is only for EQ2 and not any of the other games? Yes I know subscription is optional.

2. I need to figure out what expansions I already have and buy all the newer ones if I want them. This isn't like SWTOR where if you buy the latest one it gives everything earlier.in one package. Right? With a pre-order of the one about to launch available if I want whatever benefits it gives as I level up new characters such as a better mercenary.

3. Is there any reason to choose or avoid particular servers *other* than what is obvious from reading the descriptions. For example server X is empty and you cannot ever get a group or server Y is so crowded there are log-in queues. I am assuming the best start is on a basic server since I am starting a new family of level 1 characters and do not want to buy my way to any higher levels. Or be on a progression server. Not yet.

4. For a new player - and assuming I get all the expansions - are any of the packages now for sale especially worth getting to level-up a new family of characters? Or are they basically fluff or very marginal improvements tailored for bored or rich level-caps? By way of example I know years ago LOTRO had some wonderful packages that gave all characters on an account very nice benefits - useful things not fluff - that they couldn't readily get any other way.

Thanks.
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Tangris Well-Known Member

1. Correct
    2. If you buy the current BoL you get all the previous expansions.
    3. If you want a time locked server or regular server that is the big difference, Maj Dul is the busiest followed by AB ( I think), none are so busy you will have a queue, so pick what ever server fits you.
    4. The CE and PE xpacs have useful and fluff additions, you get improved mounts and familiars for each toon with those editions, if you get the PE the mounts and familiars are better than the CE ones, they have stats so that is a boon, plus a free house for each toon, more free mercs available, as well as a bunch of other stuff, see the expansion page for an exact description, there is even a link on the main page which shows you the stats of the CE vs PE stuff, note with the PE you get both mounts and both familiars so you can always use the look of the one but use the better stated one.

Have fun, good luck.
    jeremiya-AB, Soara2, Momo and 3 others like this.
  3. dorotea Well-Known Member

Thank you for the fast *and* comprehensive answer.
    Downloading now - got the latest expansion and all-access. Made a note to avoid Maj Dul I prefer things a bit less crowded than most people do - perhaps because I enjoy harvesting and exploring and am not heavily reliant on finding groups though some things do, of course, require them.

I hadn't been sufficiently clear. I understood the choices with respect to ordering the expansion - I was referring to the celebration bundle and any other bundles that I may not have noticed that are still available. I don't know enough yet to understand how much if anything is actually useful and how much is fluff or easily gotten just by playing the game. Thus I am not a collector of mounts or cosmetics and would not want to buy a package for such - but if a package gave a 15% run speed bonus for all characters that was not available anywhere else and stacked with all other run speed bonuses that would be valuable to me.
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Dude like this.
  4. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

The celebration bundle is mostly just some bonus goodies. Nothing you can't play the game without, just some items that will probably never be available again and cannot be obtained without purchasing.
    Soara2, Momo, Tangris and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tangris Well-Known Member

^This.
    Soara2 likes this.
  6. Tangris Well-Known Member

Also the bundle is 1 item, not one item per toon, so while the stuff is good, I got one, it is not like the expacs where it is one per toon. If you play on AB look up Whiskey, we have a small guild with all amenities, we will leave ya alone ;)
  7. dorotea Well-Known Member

Thanks again. I saw that reference to one item per account in another thread and was horrified. How in the name of all Gods can they do that and not bother to even mention it in the package description? Nothing wrong with it being only available to one character and yes I know that is what they have always done but not all people looking to buy it were here to know that, or if they were may have forgotten.
    Soara2, Juraiya and SynergyBlaize like this.
  8. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

The 66 slot backpack is good and you can not get that in game. You can get other large slot backpacks but only so many I don't think at this point without buying items like this you can fill all 6 backpack slots with huge backpacks like this.
    Breanna, Dude, Soara2 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Sious Member

please also remember the game is not "made" for low lvl any more. i mean with this that you will fly through the lvl's.
    if you want to have the experiences of all the zones you will have to turn of quest XP and or lvl lock yourself every couple of lvl's.
    If you don't do that and you are actively playing you will be 100+ in like 1-2 weeks max. if you focus on lvling it will be even quicker.

Also, mercs are REALY OP in the early lvl's

To get the full experience you will have to play on progression servers
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Dude like this.
  10. dorotea Well-Known Member

Sious - after half a day playing 4 new characters I definitely agree with what you say in many ways. And that is without hitting the agnostic dungeons - with a good mercenary - yet. But the way I play a live server is a better fit than a progression server.
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Tangris like this.
  11. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Alternately, you can turn off COMBAT XP and focus on only doing quests, like have done to go from level 90 to 100 when I returned to the game in October. I'm in no hurry to hit level 110, but the XP requirement at level 100 is so high that I've already done 4 expansions worth of content to only gain 20% into the level.
    Soara2, Juraiya and Cyrrena like this.
  12. Dude Well-Known Member

The only reasonable way to level from 100 to 110 is using the PoP adventure and crafting signature lines. All other XP pales in comparison.
    Soara2, Sigrdrifa, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  13. Raff Well-Known Member

Yes this...add full vitality (and maybe a vitality potion) and a couple of XP potions & you are 100 to 110 in a few hours.
    Soara2, Dude and Cyrrena like this.
  14. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Avoid the agnostics like the plague if you are in this for the content and experiences, for the journey!!!
    Soara2, Dude, Breanna and 1 other person like this.
  15. dorotea Well-Known Member

>Avoid the agnostics like the plague if you are in this for the content and experiences, for the journey!!!<

Truth <emphatic cough<. I was making the point that the agnostics dramatically support what Sious was saying about fast and excessively easy leveling.

I have created a few classes that are not known for quick and easy leveling. I very well may let them do the agnostics while I redo content with a class that kills more quickly.
    Soara2 likes this.
  16. Geroblue Well-Known Member

The only time I have seen Maj'Dul and Skyfire crowded is on weekends. Particularly in the evening.

Late Sunday night, not so much.

Of course, this varies.
    Soara2 likes this.
  17. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

It will be lots busier when the expansion releases.
    Soara2 likes this.
  18. ForsakenFalcon New Member

enjoy LFGing all week for zero group content cause your 300 resolution to low for group content but solo dungeons do not drop gear up grades so your stuck at this dead end wall of wanting to do group content but can't simply due to stats and no matter how much you would like to earn and make up the remaining 300 res can't at all cause they simply do not drop lol

had i known about this **** before i took all this effort to quest up to date and pay for the old expansion and 3 months subs i think i would of seriously invested in another game cause right now im paying money to legit just sit there and do **** all rofl
  19. Carynn Well-Known Member

New expac tomorrow. All new gear. There were threads upon threads of what you had to do to get gear to group in CD, and could have done a search to find out, or simply asked. We would have made you swear more with the plat reqs.
    Raff, Soara2, Juraiya and 1 other person like this.
  20. ForsakenFalcon New Member

You mean the panda gear every one told me i needed and even when getting that brought some better gear off broker and infused most of it and still just under 1.7k res? XD