Returned to EQ2 after years and now lost...

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Gothric, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Gothric New Member

I played EQ2 quite often until Echoes of Faydwer and started a few weeks ago again. But the game changed got so complicated, is there a actual guide explaining all the new stuff?

And whats the point in creating spells these days? Since the spells I create (journeyman) are not better then the ones you get for free anyway...

Kind regards
    Gothric
  2. Healsu Active Member

I would suggest 2 things Gothric

First maybe think of rolling a new toon on the TLE server that way you can play your way and not be too far behind that server would be inline with where you where when you took your break and it would take you no time at all to get leveled up.

second find a casual guild that can lend you a hand as there has been a lot of changes to game and a lot to get caught back up.
  3. wiouxev2 Active Member

Here is a very general guide I made myself when I'm starting a new toon. The list is pretty daunting to "get back up to speed"

1. Gear (KA Crafted- Twark or Bloody Tooth)
    2. Adorns (white, purple, war runes, ethereals)
    3. Masters
    4. Epic 1.0
    5. KA Pre-reqs
      1. ToT Sig
      2. Greenmist 1.0
      3. Languages
    6. KA Sig
      1. Ethereal Offhand (30 KA quest achievement)
    7. Guild (for guild buff)
    8. Merc (Zhugrus or 10yr vet reward)
  4. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Play on TLE. Unless you make eq2 your life there's no chance you'll catch up to the playerbase with all the grinding you'll need to do
  5. Finora Well-Known Member

Journeyman spells should be better than the same spell at apprentice level that you get free. If they aren't, it's a bug and should be reported. And there are always expert and grandmaster spells to make to upgrade further.

I believe back in EOF when you left the old naming scheme was still in place for spells, but it's essentially the same now (with the addition of grandmaster and a handful of ancients). From worst to best it goes: Apprentice(freebie)< Journeyman(playermade common)< Adept(mob drops)< Expert(playermade rare)< Master(mob drop)< Grandmaster(playermade fabled)< Ancient(mob drop)

For the rest of it, it has gotten complicated to some degree, particularly at the high levels. At lower levels though it's not really all that bad. You have your aa which you should be familiar with, spending them is pretty much the same as back in EoF other than more points and tabs, idea is the same though. You do have the slider that I don't remember when it was added and the autogrant aa so you won't even have to grind them unless you just want to. Also the tithe points (diety points) if you have that expansion, I forget which one that was. Those, while useful just kind of come on their own and you just have to remember to spend them when you get to 10 points, since it won't save anymore after that.

Otherwise it's pretty much get some gear, kill some stuff and move along until you get to higher levels, like 90+.

EQwire has some useful links and you can look yourself up on the EQ2U thing and compare yourself with other players of your level.
  6. harvash Active Member

I too had a break of about 18-20 months. Luckily, the wife kept raiding for awhile (maybe a 6 month break), so that has helped to bridge the knowledge gap a little.

I spent a sufficient amount of time on the forums, wiki and EQlibary to help fill in the grey areas - I think I have enough hand on it all to move forward, but yeah - take your time, do your homework and maybe join a newbie friendly guild. Even though you're a returning player, a guild with an affection for helping others learn and grow would be great a boon.
  7. Gothric New Member

Thank you for your help guys!
    I saw that the TLE server is only available for all access members and I dont have enought time to play EQ2 too often. Furthermore, I dont want to start again from scratch.

It is not my intension to catch up with the other players, I only play 2-3 time a week for an hour or two. So. I am just looking for a guide explaining all the new stuff.

Wiouxev2, where do I find you guide? It looks promising. Furthermore, I will inform myself reading in the wiki, EQlibrary and the forums like this one.

Thanks again!
    Gothric
  8. Anhari Active Member

Unfortunately Wiouxev2, your suggested steps will be out of reach to Gothric for some time as most of this will require level 95 or higher to attain (100 doing it completely solo). I doubt that he is at that level of content yet.

Gothric, as far as using the Wikia, make sure you either use FireFox as your browser, and/or make sure you have an ad-blocker installed. the Ad-ware on that site is unbelievable!
    Dude likes this.