Response to Survey

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Grouse, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grouse Active Member

I just took the new survey and that started me thinking about the future of EQ2.

I have never understood why WOW has so many active servers, while EQ2 is shrinking. In my opinion, EQ2 is simply a better game. It also has one of the best housing/tradeskill setups available -- second only to what Landmark had.

One thing that could be done is to dedicate someone to "housekeeping" -- getting out the big and little bugs that distract people from enjoying the game. Fix things from transparent ground/shadows in some zones (big) to platform labels on the travel maps in The Bonemire (little).

The next thing would be looking at character progression balance. For example, one of our guild members came back to raise his level 95 character to level one hundred and dropped out again, simply because the grind was too boring. I currently have one ALT at that level and it almost took longer to get him through level 95 than it took to get from level 90 to 95. One of the issues is running out of parallel zones to go through. From 90 to 95, you have many major zones to advance though. (Destiny of Velious, LU63, LU65, LU66, LU67, Chains of Eternity) From 95 to 100 you only have a view zones. (Tears of Veeshan, Altar of Malice) What was interesting was having completed the signature line at level 95 up to Shattered Seas: Pirates' Plot, only to get a message that you need to be level 97 to enter Brokenskull Bay: Bilgewater Falls (Solo). (I found a work around via the mission system.)

I would recommend expanding the content for levels 95-100, possibly with something that will prepare you for the major changes that came with KA, which I still don't really understand.

I still believe EQ2 is one of the best games online. Otherwise I wouldn't keep coming back. I suspect it is the little things that are keeping the population small.

2. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Little things like the immense alt killing grind the game has adopted recently on top of the now and future pay for faster research or be left behind forever model on top of content riddled with bugs that make us feel like live is beta on top of developers having a 'don't like it, don't play it' attitude towards the dedicated playerbase on top of poor design decisions such as the whole concept and mechanic of ascension on top of the game feeling like an ACT app on top of...well that's enough I guess. But those are the things keeping our population small.

I would bet that the main reasons people are still here at all are
    1. They like the solo aspects of the game such as crafting and taking a long time in lower level content
    2. They have a strong core group of friends who play the game whether to do things in number 1 or raid together or whatever and are reluctant to move on to greener pastures because people > gameplay.
    3. They have an established role as one of the best at something, and starting over somewhere else would be even more tedious than bastion of tranquil faction along with being unpredictable.

But it's certainly not the game's 'little' things that are sending/keeping people away. And it's certainly not an overwhelming positive feeling about the direction of the game that is keeping people here.
    Neiloch, -Soteria-, Juraiya and 13 others like this.
  3. Grouse Active Member

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with everything you've said, except it is the little things that make the game feel "like live is beta".
  4. Uxtalzon Active Member

I didn't get it, but if it's the same as the first, then...

1. Disapprove
    2. I have not played this expansion
    3. I have not played on progression servers
    4. Unlikely
    5. Yes, I have experienced more than five crashes or disconnects in the last 30 days.
    6. I am currently a subscribing Member.
    7. Unlikely
    8. More communication, whether good or bad. Maybe try to live up to the Daybreak's main website page for once.*

* (I'd actually have a wall of text that's polite, constructive, and has no profanity, but could still get me banned if I said it. lol)
  5. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

If your answers don't align with what they want to hear, they will toss them any way.
  6. Riktor New Member

We all may have a different opinion on what is the most glaring issue with EQ2 right now. To me I play this game to have fun, I have fun by playing a high damage low survivability/low utility class. I switched from conjuror to a warlock in 2006 (please don't point conji's current place in the dps settings) and right now with summer around the corner why would I log online, what would be my motivation?!?

There is no other MMO out there that I would waste my time on, I've tried quite a few (Rift, WOW, AoC, Warhammer online, Secret World, GW2, Star Wars, etc.) I always end up back here. EQ2 is the best PVE game out there but right now the fun factor is very very low due to class balance and no I will not be switching again for obvious reasons.
  7. Twinbladed Well-Known Member

They are not going to make the game better at the cost of loss in profit. If they intended on getting more players they would have expanded their market. They don't care if the game dies or not. They are in the milking process. So what you see is what you get. You must have taken noticed that every bit of content isn't actually newly modeled, and they just recycle mechanics and idea that were already in the game. You add in a market place where players can spend cash to advance in the game and you have a product that is going to die. The more you keep doing it, and the smaller your population, the faster the death.
    Neiloch, Xephane, Mizgamer62 and 2 others like this.
  8. Pharone Active Member

I stopped reading at that point. I mean seriously, why do people keep saying things like "they don't care if the game dies or not?"

Of course, they care if the game dies or not. If the game dies, they LOSE THEIR JOBS. You have to be crazy to think that they don't care. Sheesh people get a grip.
    -Soteria-, Juraiya, Lateana and 2 others like this.
  9. Twinbladed Well-Known Member

This isn't the only game they work on. You honestly think they are getting paid top end on a game that doesn't profit highly anymore, especially after the dev cut? Most of these people can go get jobs elsewhere if they lose it, and they already know this. You think think all those devs they got laid off are jobless?

Edit : Daybreak company does not care. They don't have to, they will lose nothing if the game dies.
  10. StoneLegion Active Member

Yes because all the EQ2 Devs really are working on H1Z1 the other game that is dying and most their devs are going as well. Where do you think they are going to work on? Unless there is some secret game in the background they need them for the company is just going to end up folding down the road.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  11. santargria Well-Known Member

My biggest issue so far is requiring old content be done to move to new content - and I mean A LOT OF IT!

Epic 2.0 is a real joke IMO with having to do so much old content and faction grinds.

In the many years I've been a player, I've switched my main 3 times - and did many of the required quests on one of the original mains (I still have the toons) but my current main hadn't done ANY of the requirements - which really sucks.

IMO, the devs really should give some thought as to what occurred previously before creating content that requires OLD content to be completed.
    Juraiya, Lateana, GrunEQ and 4 others like this.
  12. Pharone Active Member

Actually, I attended a number of FanFaire/SoE Live conferences before SoE was sold and renamed DBG. I can tell you from the people I met at the conferences that first off, most of them work specifically on one game. For example, there is an EQ1 team, EQ2 team, DC Online team, and H1Z1 team.

If DBG was to shut one of their games down, I seriously doubt they would move all of those team members to another team. I just don't see DBG's parent company OKing the idea of increasing the cost of their other games by moving team members to them from a closed down game. Instead, I would expect them to cut those costs.

So, again. I do not in anyway think that the developers are trying to kill the game. That's just silly to think they are.
    Lateana, Leonitas and Azian like this.
  13. Anoxia Member

So far I am having a lot of fun on Stormhold making videos and visiting places I missed. But I won't lie. I have no problem dropping EQ2 and move on to another game if it is better for me (like I am interested in Pantheon and enjoying ESO once again).
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  14. Yannos Member

because its not a better game, EQ2 has been my longest played MMORPGs ... i started in the closed beta and played it till i got the 1.0 mythical. After that the game got boring and i took a break. I vowed to never touch WoW because of like so many others who have never played it "WoW is bad, its ultra casual, its dumbed down, its easy .... yada yada yada". Then one day my wife decided she wanted to play WOW as one of her friends played it ... so i decided to try it.

WoW is a very good game i know its popular to say other wise but there is a reason it has so many subscriptions, its fun, it has good developers, it has ease of access yet complicated enough to keep people playing(and if you don't think it does you probably never did any of hardcore raiding). there is too much of an echo chamber around MMORPG players that like to put down WoW because "its easy" but when you turn around and say "if it was easy you must have completed every raid at the top level right?" ... only to have the respond "well i don't play WoW"

well if you don't play WOW then maybe you should stop talking about how easy it is.

WOW's content is top notch ... compared to EQ2s which has been trash
    WoW's character customization is better yes they have only 10 choices but those 10 choices make more of a difference to your character than 350 AA in which 300 of them are MINOR stat increase ... "oh boy i can increase my potency by .5% gamechanger!'
    the Bloat of EQ2 is insane, you have 20+ different stats any many of them are completely redundant
    the Classes of EQ2 have gone from being unique to just a mass garbage similarity. unlike WOW who in the legion expac took a step to not only define each class but clearly define each spec inside of a class, so that for example a Tank warrior plays differently than a DPS warrior.

the only thing EQ2 does better than WoW is crafting and housing, thats it everything else WoW is far and away better than EQ2.
  15. StoneLegion Active Member

As a newer player things I like to see improved:
    • Some way to have more players in low levels if it's old or new I kind of miss having no one around.
    • a way to fix the mouse shooting up bug. Sometimes it happens to me 100's of times a day.
    • Fix the strange shadow issues turning terrain invisible and such. Some zones are really bad.
    • More Engine improvements for performance.
    • A way to help fix Housing / Guild Halls from less crashing when entering them if if the hall is crazy decked out. Maybe some sort of throttling or something to prevent the crashing A quick work around maybe allow people to change the teleport in location in the halls as well as maybe allow the players themselves to use a command or something to enter the hall of their choosing location.
    • With Inflation and the Lack of low level players I think might be time to consider allowing players to buy/sell to the broker as a F2P user if the age of botting is over for that style of botting. New Players are doomed because of the inflation now. Even if you allow them to have silver buy access they can't buy anything because everything is too expensive due to inflation.
    • PQ's are quite Interesting. Maybe add more to lower level zones that offer some unique fun rewards that is not based on end game gear for new players to be part of but also bring the community into other zones as well? Including Starting Zones!
    Over all I'm enjoying the game a lot. Besides crashing 50% of the time entering my guild hall and my mouse jerking into the sky and the massive inflation making F2P at this time Impossible I enjoy it a lot. I do understand the Idea is to encourage players to go from F2P to Member but I think due to NOT the new players fault for such a broken inflated market now it's time to allow them to be part of the game a bit more.
    I also love to just see more things around the world to do. The familiars is a great example of something that has people going around the world to older content and such. I like to see more reasons for people to go back and do content.
    Warning this from sort of a newbies perspective.
    HaphazardAllure, Prissetta and Grouse like this.
  16. Uxtalzon Active Member

You just described Landmark.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  17. Ellah Active Member

I don't get why people are so horrified that there are features and shortcuts that are available for cash. Sure, I'd love to have lots of money to be able to buy these things, but I don't.. if someone does then good luck to them. My toon might not be as strong as theirs with their gm abilities that I'm having to research, but they are investing money into a game I love and so I'm getting something from that too.

Seems wrong to resent a commercial endeavour for charging for things...
  18. Conifur Well-Known Member

It is not that they are means available for cash advancement and I don't resent their commercial endeavor. It is the fact they recently changed almost everything they did with regards to improving your character that makes it virtually a requirement to pay cash or never be at the level of those who do. There is no real way possible anymore, other then being really lucky on RNG, to keep up unless you spend cash. They gated mobs behind spells that you pretty much had to pay $ to get or you could not kill. They changed the way you upgraded spells so you had to go in order instead of skipping if you had the upgrade. The drop rates for doing it without spending money are virtually nonexistent. When they release the next expansion if you have not paid $ you will not even be close to improving the Ascension spells, then you have to decide on if they are more important then your class spells. The gap between those who spend money and those who do not will widen even more. The problem is the "investments" people are putting into the game do not seem to be making it back into the game. They release updates that don't work, full of bugs, untested. Their "expansion" is one small zone with a lot of pre-reqs from old content. The "big" update of the PG was pretty much a failure. Their response was "if you don't like it, don't play it." I can't speak for other but I don't resent them for offering an ability to pay to improve - but when that is pretty much the only route they leave open - I do find fault.
  19. StoneLegion Active Member

Newbie here. Please explain this one I only know very little because I saw it on a stream.

But it seems like for this one person they had 10-11 skills they needed for decent raiding. They had to use the research system at the time there was apparently no books dropping?

Either way long story short he could spend 100's on decreasing the research time. But not just by a few hours but a month almost. These skills if I recalled took 30 days or so to max out per skill? Maybe was less or more like I said newbie here.

He said to be in a decent raiding guild most people needed these skills to do quite well.

So could you please explain why you feel a feature like this is not Pay 2 Win even more so since Raid Guild First has always been a MMORPG's biggest Win 2nd to your own Characters Achievements.

I love to explain this in detail if you don't mind about this example of an instance.
    Mizgamer62 and captainbeatty451 like this.
  20. Conifur Well-Known Member

When you pay to research it completes it. It shaves months - not just a month off the time and is about $80 per spell to take it to GM. It technically really was not Pay to Win because there is no winning in the game, that was until they put in PG where there are winners and losers, then it became pay to win. I did not and am not paying to improve my spells, I am going the old fashion way and my DPS is noticeably above those who have, though I still do pretty well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.