Reslove, its not right, here is why...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Dabb, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dabb Active Member

I understand what you are trying to do with resolve vs powerful crazy stat pools but why should a well geared raid base of players have to suffer resolve loss vs mobs with 290 resolve when you have duplicate classes? How is that fair? So 24 raid geared players because of dupe classes has a disadvantage at 270 resolve vs a boss with 290 resolve, tanks getting pounded, dps severed...how is that right? Forcing players to play the "right" classes to fully resolve the raid? No, this is not good. So what if you have 7 mages? or 3 Swashy's or 4 fighters, that's what ya got, and everyone's resolve should tally up on the resolve vs boss multiplier...fix this please. You are gonna lose a lot of player base because of discouragement, and I am sure my thoughts are not alone in this. Another suggestion would be to add more resolve to GU100 items to make up for duplicate classes to at least obtain a resolve closer to the boss threshold.

Thanks for listening
  2. Feldon Well-Known Member

No. Every class contributes a different amount of Resolve to the raid force, but if two characters of the same class show up, their classes' Resolve buff only counts once. So raid forces with 3 Dirges only get +10% Resolve -- the same amount they'd get with 1 Dirge.

Seems VERY VERY VERY late in the game to be trying to enforce the "24 classes, 24 raid slots" idea.
  3. Nockturnal Well-Known Member

Yeah but how cool would that be, 24 classes in 24 slots.
    Febrith and Arielle Nightshade like this.
  4. Feldon Well-Known Member

How about 24 people who want to raid being able to raid?

What would be cool is Duality. I can just flipflop between Ranger and Assassin without betrayal and all that dancing.
    Wurm, MalcolmXBox, -Soteria- and 7 others like this.
  5. Dabb Active Member

exactly how about let 24 people raid whatever classes they want and everyone get the resolve buff, instead of forcing all different classes
    MalcolmXBox, Xillean, Hiza and 3 others like this.
  6. Gninja Developer

The resolve values are nowhere near balanced with the expectation that you have 24 different classes in raids.
  7. Mermut Well-Known Member

How many different classes IS the expectation?
    Mizgamer62 and Feldon like this.
  8. Gninja Developer

The current numbers are balanced around having 12-14 unique classes in a raid.
  9. Mandoblast Active Member

That is the perception with Resolve though. Consider these facts:

1. Resolve values are different for each class
    2. Resolve values are lower for "desirable classes" such as ward based healers and T1 dps
    3. Resolve values do NOT stack causing a wasted slot on a 2nd class in raid to meet a resolve check.

Most of the time my guild raids with multiple warlocks, defilers, dirges, troubs, illys,congy, and coercers. We do not have an active BL, wiz, necro, channeler. When we stack warlocks, we lose 5 from not stacking so if we had a different T1 class, such as the wiz, we would gain the 10 that the wiz has plus the loss of the 2nd warlock which nets 15 resolve.

How is this resolve mechanic not promoting 24 different classes in raids?
  10. Sylke Well-Known Member

The problem is that the current iteration of this mechanic unfairly penalizes guilds/raids that may not be fielding a full 24-member raid, but has multiples of the same class (i.e. the majority of raid forces).

This forces guilds to try to optimize a raid setup by forcing players to other characters to make up the Resolve difference.

If we assume an average of 10 Resolve per class in the 12-14 class paradigm, that puts us at an assumed 120-140 Resolve from buffs for a full raid. (Rather large assumption, but we'll go with it).

Rather than the "no stacking" mechanic we are using now, something like this would possibly be better:
    1. Class buffs remain the same, except they stack with each other.
    2. Each archetype can contribute up to 50 (~random number) Resolve, with each class's buff going into that pool.
    3. Once the 50 for an archetype is reached, no more from that archetype will be counted
    A "standard" raid with minimal class duplication would then field 150-160 Resolve. This is slightly higher than the current balance and lower than what that same raid would provide in the current design, but this would allow raids with more class duplication to still provide the necessary amount.

However, I personally feel that the Resolve should come from a player's gear rather than buffs, but still give each class a 5 Resolve buff that stacks with everyone else's (including same class). This would create a "full raid" advantage. (Well, technically, I feel that this mechanic should be forgotten entirely, but if we're stuck with it, that would be my preference.)

If the intent behind some classes having higher amounts on their buffs is to create incentive to bring those classes to raids, this the entirely wrong approach to create that incentive. This is a gimmick, not a real need.
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

That seems a reasonable number, but given that the difference between the resolve of two classes can be upwards to 10, that's still a wide delta for resolve even with the 12-14 uniques.
    -Soteria-, Mizgamer62 and Livejazz like this.
  12. Kaarkula Active Member

I guess I was confused as to why this was needed at all... Feel like I missed something somewhere.
    Mizgamer62 and Livejazz like this.
  13. quisling Well-Known Member

So. When it comes to healing at least, the BALANCE is so messed up that you have to include an artificial stat as a tactic (THAT WILL NOT WORK) to get people to include the "lesser healers". Geezus.
    -Soteria-, Mizgamer62 and Livejazz like this.
  14. Livejazz Well-Known Member

I believe Feldon's comment stands: it seems quite late in the game's history to implement a mechanic which forces raid leaders to make sure they have sufficient unique classes in their raid force.

What if you simply don't have sufficient numbers of those classes on-line? PUG, or don't raid? Either of those seems a quite less-than-attractive solution, but they both seem superior to pulling 10 times, knowing that all you'll get is a massive repair bill & a lot of hard feelings.

What was the point of this mechanic?
  15. Tohopka Active Member

26 classes ;)
  16. Mermut Well-Known Member

And how do you stuff 26 classes into a 24 man raid? :p
  17. Tohopka Active Member

Thats the issue, there are actually 26 classes but only 24 raid spots.

I'm just going by feldon's last sentence for correction is all :D
    Mizgamer62 and Feldon like this.
  18. ugloopni Active Member

We just have to keep asking I guess.
    Arielle Nightshade and Hiza like this.
  19. Aivet Well-Known Member

A very hungry beastlord warder. :D
    Xillean likes this.
  20. Silvers New Member

I definitely don't think 12-14 different classes is the number you achieved. It's more beneficial to take in a garbage inquisitor into scourge rather than an okay player playing a dps. The way I wished it would work is to simply be based off of gear rather than having class balance based off of resolve, even though I think class balance is pretty decent at the moment. You can't want us bringing in a swashbuckler or inquisitor into raid (when they're arguably the worst classes in the game) just because they're more resolve for the entire raid.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.