Requests from a Master Weaponsmith

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Troubor, Mar 1, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-evilgamer Guest

Powers wrote:
    exactly, non-tradeskillers specifically target ore because they know they can make some serious plat off it, I mean when the common sells for 50sp a piece its easy to understand why peeps target ore specifically
    when you see a toon selling a stack of 2000 carbonite on the broker, they are just farming ore for the money, nobody trying to just level needs that much ore
    thats great except when you go to harvest yourself like powers said it rediculous sometimes because as soon as the ore pops, someone else is harvesting it
  2. ARCHIVED-Rashaak Guest

/grumble

Take talks of ORE to a NEW thread! For cryin out loud! I've been nice about it...but damn ppl! I know theres a damn problem with ORE or lack there of, but create a new thread!!
    This is discussing Weapons and how to make them better. NOT to make ore drops easier!!!!

Now someone PLEASE get this derailment back on frellin track!!!
  3. ARCHIVED-Domino Guest

Terron@Splitpaw wrote:
    I'm still thinking about that, but I think most likely yes. The current imbue on the wands has never seemed very useful -- personally, I've played two different mage classes to 70 or higher and most of the pre-60 levels they had mastercrafted wands ... and I can probably count on the fingers of both hands the number of times I actually clicked them for the nuke.

However, if there are woodworkers out there who can tell me that they have customers begging for the clicky nukes, we could leave one or two ... it just seems to me that they'd be more useful and desirable given the imbues described above, instead.
  4. ARCHIVED-Kitsune286 Guest

Would be neet if they were changed to the standard proc off spell hit. Thought, some of them had neet particle effects at the end.

Edit: Oh ya. I used to use a wand on my paladin for a certian mob in Labs of Lord Vyemn. I couldn't use a bow back then, soo...
  5. ARCHIVED-Rashaak Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    I'd have to agree with changing the effect honestly. I got one for my Mystic some time back but that was before I figured out it was a clicky affect, not reactive based on attacks so I ended up switching to a Mace. If the same affect could be maintained on the item but make it an actual proc affect, then it would be more beneficial even for a spell caster...
  6. ARCHIVED-Domino Guest

Kittsune@Unrest wrote:
    Yeah -- mobs like that guy in Labs are the only occasion I can think of when they're actually useful, but now crusaders can use bows, and besides, clicking hex doll debuffs is probably more useful on a mob like that, so I'm thinking they'd be more desirable with the other effects.
  7. ARCHIVED-Rashaak Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    true...
    Hex dolls ARE nice, however the debuff's take TOO TOO TOO TOO TOO TOO TOO TOO TOO TOO long to cast :p
  8. ARCHIVED-Kitsune286 Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    Most bows. ;)
  9. ARCHIVED-Oakum Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    Hex doll debuffs take to long to cast so I almost never cast them.
    As far as the clicky nukes go. I think wands should provide some sort of small nuke that does not need to be clicked to cast.
    If they remain click to cast, then I would say make them with finite nr of charges and be destroyed when used up. Bigger nukes could be made from rare wood and still be destroyed when used up.
    I would be happy with a choice of both ways personnally. I dont like the ssssloooooowwwww clicky nuke they have now.
  10. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    When a caster-type who knows the wands asks for one, I get asked for an imbue that's RP appropriate (Disease for a necro, for example), or for "That cool lightening bolt one".

Might ask the casters if they use them regularly. Make 'em proc instead, that'd rock.
  11. ARCHIVED-Rashaak Guest

Oakum wrote:
    *ponder*
    So...your saying...
    Click to cast CONSUMABLE weapons?
    woah....
    I...I...kinda like that actually...
  12. ARCHIVED-SteelTalon Guest

It may be simple enough to keep the current wand imbues, but change them from an activated nuke to a chance to proc off of a hostile spell.

Another idea I haven't seen mentioned that I was thinking about would be to have another kind of imbue or adornment for weapons (made only by weaponsmiths) that would grant extra damage against a certain mob type. Along the lines of the Lore and Legend Master Strikes, these <creature>-bane imbues would grant extra damage for every swing against, for example, Skeletons. The bonus damage would be based as a percentage (maybe +10%, and +15% for a rare-based imbue?) of the normal weapon damage, so that it could scale through all tiers.

Perhaps part of the recipe for the imbue or adornment would be the 5 dropped Lore and Legend pieces for the desired creature type, along with the imbuing material (for imbue) or powders/fragments (for adornments). Since the creature types are already defined via L&L books, I figure this idea would be a little easier to implement.

I imagine the tooltip on the item would read like (in the Skeleton example):

Skeleton Bane
    Adds 10% additional weapon damage on target
    *If Skeleton

I always wanted to be able to make weapons that were designed to kill a particular creature type. (Vampire Bane anyone? )
  13. ARCHIVED-Rashaak Guest

Fineous@Butcherblock wrote:
    They 'had' something similiar to what your talking about. Called Wyrmsteel weapons, they were Fable crafted weapons and had a damage proc that only affected Darathar
  14. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

As a Mage, I can't remember the last time I used the clicky wand.

Proc-based wands are just so much better, imo.
  15. ARCHIVED-Iseabeil Guest

Ive played several mages and I cant remember a single time I actually used the clickie of the imbued crafted wands. They just havent been worth using :/
  16. ARCHIVED-Qandor Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    I packed a wand on a necro to 70 and a wizard to 60 and I can honestly say I have never once cast that nuke on the wands although I did dutifully imbue it onto everyone I made and used. It is definitely time to go another direction with wand imbues.
  17. ARCHIVED-Terron Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    Certainly from T4 up the boost to crits would be more useful, but it would be less useful at the lower tiers.
    I found the clicky effect of wands very useful in T2 and T3 on several toons. particularly my illusionist and fury. My fury even used it early in T4.
    I used it for the initial attack when soloing, when the time to cast did not matter.
    Once my fury had her AE nuke she started using that instead, and switched to using scimitars, which have the same stats but the melee proc.
    I am planning on doing the same with my latest toon - a defiler.

There is also the matter of replacing the six current wand imbues with just two, which as a woodworker I would not be happy with, though if one of them turns out to be desirable that would be good compensation.

There is no significant difference between the different damage types currently though.
    Keeping one clicky effect wand would be enough for those few people who find it useful.

My preference would be for them to be changed to have effects like the temper adornments, though only a few of them would seem likely to be used - magic/runic - nuke as now, cold/glacial - slow + smaller nuke, poison/serpentine - DoT.
  18. ARCHIVED-Terron Guest

Rashaak wrote:
    Similar wands already exist.
    They can be bought from the Bloodlines merchants after doing enough quests, and are given as quest rewards.
    The Wand of Flames is a mage only level 25 charm item with 5 charges that does a nuke.
    The Wand of Polymorph is similar but debuffs Agi and Str rather than nukes,
    There are a couple more.
    They have useful effect for level 25, but are rather weak by the time you are able to buy them.
    I would like to see crafted versions of them.
  19. ARCHIVED-Mikkahl Guest

Um, is there some reason the casting time for the nuke on a wand couldn't be made MUCH shorter? Then a lot more of us would actually use them!
  20. ARCHIVED-RandomStream Guest

Rashaak wrote:
    Back in the days of sub-components, before LU 23 I think, as a weaponsmith you could use soft metals or gems as a substitute for ore for making Tempers. You could use ore but you did not have to. It meant all the ore that came out of the ore node could be used for making weapons or armour. (I think carpenters, jewelers, tailors and woodworkers *may* have used small amounts as well)
    Furthermore Alchemists had a separate node, fungi, so all that came from ore nodes was ore.
    In addition, while a weapon might need ore for the blade, crossguard and pommel, one cluster each was all you needed. So from harvesting one node you could make one weapon (ignoring imbuing material). Now if you harvest a node there is no such guarantee, most items on tier 3 and above require 4 (or more) ore with no substitutes, also there is a 50% chance of getting loam, so you need to harvest approximately 3 nodes to find sufficient ore to make one weapon! (Of course we did get, multiple harvest from the node, which might have pushed back the expected harvest per node to one weapon per node, but is by no means obvious.)
    Then we had tinkers inflicted upon us ! Consuming lots of valuable ore!
    (\starts to rant) Couldn't the tinkers use food nodes! Nobody wants food nodes! Not even Provisioners - they can't sell food at a decent price! They have no use for food nodes - Only person who wants food nodes is Nuggin - pesky little halfling.(\stops rant)
    Where I am going with this is - Do we need so many (ore) components in Weapons? More generally do we need so many components in recipes?