(Request) Limit "awkward thinking" in mechanics

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Semperfifofum, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

It's fun to be smart. But it can be annoying too. There are things in EQ2 that require what I call "awkward thinking" to make the best of it. Things like:

1. Don't wear transmuting gear buffs, or go to the extreme of changing your AA's, before transmuting transmutation stones of low level (Treasured) so you get more fragments. Now with the new TM stones, this may evolve.

2. Be in offensive mode to tank better as an SK.

3. Use Exorcise as a plate healer for DPS.

Some of them, like Exorcise, have so effectively fixed problems with the class that I expect people to say, "Oh, no don't take it away!" I agree with that, but do we want all this backwards and inside out thinking?

I'm honestly asking, would you rather the mechanics were more straightforward? There are probably a million other similar awkward thinking examples in EQ2, I just wanted to start the conversation with a few.
    Cyrrena and Rosyposy like this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

This is a fifteen year old game, and a lot of the weirdness is the devs spackling things over to try and address player complaining.

I feel pretty safe in predicting that there will not be actual class balancing unless and until EQ3 appears.

In the meantime, you do what we've been doing for 15 years... you have alts of many classes, so that when the devs swap stuff around and your current class sucketh mightily, you can instead play one that's gotten buffed. Remember that SKs originally were half-rate wizards in tin cans and couldn't tank their way out of a paper bag, but look at them now. People regularly betray a toon to its counterpart class when one is better than the other.