Release date of tradeskill timeline PoP

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Kenneth, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Meirril Well-Known Member

I don't think you're main point is as valid as you'd think. While its easy to think more crafters = less need for crafters that makes several assumptions. First is that the people that don't like crafting will start to like it. I like crafting...except for the actual making stuff part. Be honest, there is nothing about the crafting mini-game that can be described as interesting. Most people that aren't into crafting will want to do anything else and will be willing to pay someone else to make it for them so they can avoid "grinding". A lot of them won't even bother to figure out what they can make or go out of their way to buy expensive recipe books that they have no intention of crafting the products.

Second point: Most non-crafters don't have 9 alts. They aren't going to bother making a crafting alt for each trade skill. So even if they love the idea of using their crafting skills, it isn't like they are going to cover every class.

Third point: Very few people craft for profit. A lot of new crafters will try for a little while, but there is stiff competition on the broker and it generally boils down to a few dedicated crafters in each profession that continue to stock a range of items that sell. Sure, people dip into that market, but after they don't make a lot of profit for the amount of time (and plat) invested most lose interest. Seriously, working the market takes time and effort. It is basically an unpaid job.

Fourth point: people that provide the raw materials have always made the profit in crafting. Remember that part where I said there are a lot of crafters? The ability to make items isn't scarce. It has never been scarce. The difficulty of producing items has been reduced to the point that its trivial. The only reason crafted items retain any value is due to the scarcity of materials. Often, crafted products broker for LESS than the raw materials. Harvesting and getting drops generate the lion's share of profits, with actual crafting only getting a small amount. Honestly, the only way to get a significant profit in crafting is around launch week or doing commission crafting. Tips are way more generous than broker fighting.

So in closing, short term wise I think you personally will be hurt in the ability to sell crafted items. If you really want to make a profit, you should be selling harvests instead of crafted products. Long term wise, a month from now the bubble should crash and all of the "new" crafters will wander back to adventuring full time. This is more of an opportunity than it is a problem if you are worried about making plat.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  2. Alenna Well-Known Member

if they had made it a commissonable recipe it would be an awesome crafting reward.