Region of Interest?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Bindon, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Bindon New Member

Hi all,

I am a returning player and have recently purchased the newest expansion.

So far so good but the questing in the Planes of Magic has been frustrating. Difficult to find points of interest and generally not sure where to go to complete the quest.

I downloaded the map add on which is nice but I would rather not rely on third party apps to make questing smoother.

Anyway, I am level 100 and trying to make headway in the Planes of Magic but the blue ROI is nowhere to be seen. In lower zones on lower level characters this is visible on the map and very helpful.

I can't seem to toggle this in the user interface. Can anyone give some advice?

Thanks for your time.
    Kheldar and Saw-Lau like this.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

It doesn't exist in newer zones. I just google "EQ2" and the name of the quest. The wiki has waypoints for just about everything. Copy the waypoint, get back in the game, type /way, and then paste the waypoint. That will take you right to where you want to go.
    Kheldar, Saw-Lau and Cyrrena like this.
  3. Bindon New Member

I see.

Thank you for the quick reply and I will follow your advice while questing.

Hopefully, the devs will reinstate this quality of life feature.
    Thanks.
    Kheldar, NrthnStar5 and Dude like this.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I think the reason they quit adding all the "hand holding" features is because there are people who want to figure things out without spoilers.

If you are stuck, first press J to open your quest journal and read the full quest text there. It will usually give you quite a lot of info on where to go. If that's not sufficient, then https://eq2.wikia.com/ is the place to go (bookmark it!). Type the name of the mob or quest into the search box.

As for "third party", the whole user interface in EQ2 is XML files. UI developers are using the basic data the game sends out and just restyles the XML, for the most part. It's not "third party apps", just customized XML. Your regular install actually comes with a UI editor app, direct from DBG. You can customize one window, or your whole UI. You'll find a lot of UI mods at EQ2Interface.com

There is a third party app that you may really want, Advanced Combat Tracker. ACT is a logfile parser. Most people use it to see what kind of DPS they're putting out, and it's particularly useful for figuring out what your best cast order might be. If you raid, you definitely will want to use ACT's custom triggers, which use text-to-speech to call out when certain triggers show up (if you're fighting in a raid, so much stuff is flying through your chat windows that you can't always catch the warning that Big Bad Mob is about to throw a devastating frontal AOE, or whatever).

Another third party app that's really useful if you're into Norrathian Interior Decorating is the EQ2 Layout Editor. The game allows you to save house or guildhall layouts to a text file, and to load saved layouts. The Layout Editor can allow you to manipulate the stuff in that text file very precisely, then upload your changes. This means you can line up all your books on a shelf neatly, or create some spectacular builds that really need more than hand placement (take a look at the Norrathian Homeshow forum).
    Momo, Rosyposy and Saw-Lau like this.
  5. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

As stated, the blue highlighted areas of interest have gone the way of the dodo. I suppose in an effort to get players to explore the entire area / zone - they're just not added to new content. The only real way is to blindly guess based on vague descriptions (where to go) - or rely on eq2maps to assist in finding the thing / web search.

I for one, would enjoy having a little click-box toggle to turn the area of interest on and off at will. There are times where I want to pull out my last grey hair when looking for "the thing in the place in the zone near the area by that other thing" as vaguely outlined in a 1 sentence blurb in a quest entry.

Take for example the signature line of Planes of Prophecy - the opening quest requests that you "search around the peaks near the fount for the arcane doodads". So, naturally - I looked around the very tops (by definition, a peak) of all the pointy outcroppings for nearly an hour before flying lower into the valleys to find the doodads.

I'm sure someone's having a laugh at that somewhere - but in truth, that's really only funny once (circa 2005)
    Soara2, Kheldar, Cyrrena and 3 others like this.
  6. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

This, exactly. The option should be available, and toggleable, for those who wish to have the challenge or not. A simple checkbox in options or by right-clicking the map should suffice.
    Kheldar, Breanna, NrthnStar5 and 4 others like this.
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I did this too. As a science nerd, the peak is very different than the foothills, or if talking glaciers, the tongue.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  8. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Bleh. I signed up for a hand holding game,...not sure what happened to it. Lol
    Rosyposy likes this.