Regarding the conversion to account-wide tithe xp.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Grishtik, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Grishtik Member

I personally believe making the deity/tithe xp system account-wide is a great idea and really should have been implemented this way from the start. Many other MMOs/RPGs have similar systems in place with good effect. MMO communities depend on players willing to level alts (sometimes there just isn't a tank or healer main on in guild/lfg), especially this late in a given MMO's lifespan, thus those who do will benefit greatly from this proposed feature.

However, my issue is with the poorly conceived method of how Daybreak intends on converting the system to account-wide:

This proposed method would be extremely unfair to those players who have been maintaining alts. Basically, those who have only been playing 1 character would benefit much more from this change than those who have been working on alts. Why should those who put forth the effort to maintain guild group/raid readiness be put at a relative disadvantage? Here's an example of what i'm trying to explain:
    Player 1 has 3 characters, each with 20 cb/pot/sta scores.
    Player 2 has 1 character with 21 with cb/pot/sta scores.
    After the proposed change, Player 1, who invested a lot more time in those 3 characters, will still only have 20 cb/pot/sta account wide, while Player 2 will have 21 cb/pot/sta for all characters.

What i'm trying to get at is this - the correct way to make deity account wide would be to add up the amount of tithe xp spent in each cb/pot/sta pool across all characters, then use those amounts to determine new deity values. This is the way it will work going forward, so why shouldn't it take into account the tithe xp earned before the change? Thank you.
  2. Earar Well-Known Member

if they do that now what I'm thinking is .. since I have 3 main toons, maybe I should level pot on 1, CB on the other and HP on the 3rd

so for now they won't be optimized at all (Hp of tank, Pot for mage an CB for left spec healer, so still OK) .. but I don't want to waste any more tithe if I have to level pot on 3 of them ...

now I really start to think strategically .. while it could be done so much more easilly
  3. Revel Well-Known Member

Its infuriating if they don't combine it all, especially since the bonus over 30 is getting nerfed. Its already bad enough they didn't do it in time for this content release, shelving people's alts for even more time.
  4. Luhai Active Member

I'm concerned about this as well. I've recently returned after a long break and have been busy grinding potency since then for my active characters. With the proposed changes, most of my efforts will have been in vain.
    Sure, it could be worse, for example by keeping the current implementation, but I'm not super happy about only considering the highest value for all characters, either.
  5. Earar Well-Known Member

at least they tell us what they'll do .. the worst would have been them changing the system that way without saying it first and really see your work being crushed. Right now u can talk about it or at least change your way of grinding tithe to optimize it for future changes
  6. Grishtik Member

Any chance of getting a Dev's word on this?
  7. Flatline Well-Known Member

Doubt it till it hits patch notes, i think they are struggling with the mechanics of it in order to do the simple solution :
    Convert all spend points back into Points Tithe points to spend, simply because of the scaling ... if someone have lets for SnGiggles say 40 Potency, 30 CB and 30 Stamina thats a METRIC ton of actuall experience points because of the scaling so in order to do that account wide they might be struggling with actual data type limitations - its the only reason i can phantom for them not "just" doing that.

On the other hand it IS the only way to go without risking a HUGE backlash if they .... mess it up and ignore those players with multiple toons at high amounts of tithe points (or even semi high).

I can appreciate the issue though, its not easy to do im sure because of the physical numbers involved. - I still think they NEED to do it like that though, somehow
  8. Entropy Well-Known Member

They don't need to refund the points to make it work. They need to do a one-time merge script on the character database to combine each pool appropriately within your account. When servers come back up that day, all future Tithe investment goes into the account wide stat.
    Grishtik likes this.
  9. Flatline Well-Known Member

Im well aware of that being an option, however its rather complex doing it like that compared to refunding everything into one pool and letting us reassign them our self, especially with the logic of diminished returns i mean who would wanna end up with 44 POT and 18 STA if you had know from the get go ?
    Also, just to be a little nerdy, its gonna be the longest running script ever if i have to refund one point at a time into tithe XP, then add that XP to the pool , then check if its enough to buy a Point... rinse repeat... That will probably run longer than RandomLootScript1001 or at least i would think so
  10. Earar Well-Known Member

it always depends on how it is on the coding.

sometimes what seems simple in paper isn't in code because of the ways things have been done. And if we don't have the code in front of us, we can't say anything.

if it was THAT easy, then they wouldn't struggle that much. maybe it's about real number of points not being tracked or I don't know . Don't know how it has been done.

maybe it also how to add all those stuff on said account, how the databas is done and if they can easily interact with each other or might overwrite each other when it's on same account ... lots of variables that may make something completly hard o translate just because of the way it has been coded in the first place.

it's like stuff that cannot be implemented on an old game because the base code of the game doesn't accept some new rules. And usually it means it time to redo the game.

it's like for exemple .. LoL and DotA ... DotA was working on the warcraft engine and so some actions spells or stuff that could be implemented were limited by what warcraft 3 could give.
  11. Entropy Well-Known Member

No, it would take each stat separately for each toon on the account, and add up the actual points required to get that. Something like 15k+12k+5k=32k, so convert 32k actual Tithe points into however many Stat points the exp formula says, with remainder being a "partial blue bar" as we have now.

Your attempt to be nerdy used literally the slowest possible algorithm :)
    Grishtik likes this.
  12. Morrdredd Member

get outta here with your smartness Entropy
  13. Bolbir Active Member

Came back to the game for around 1 year ago and instantly understanded that this was the **** to go for, but was amazed that no one realy cared about it. This was my chance to catch up on everyone else. Sadly we where getting the xp nerf because of afk people in guild halls where complaining. This is what the game needed when there isnt much left to do, you still can increase your characters power even if you have all the best in slot items etc...

I would rather se that you get what each character have gained or it all sums upp, then it will be account wide. Earned is earned.

Or, why not add one or two new deity pools to spend points in like am and attributes? Or change the spells for good evil neutral to be more desirable?
  14. Flatline Well-Known Member

Willing to bet your numbers is EXTREMELY low, and yes my "attempt" at being nerdy is on purpose exetremely slow, because if we at any point in time even have the OPTION of overflowing the datatypes we have to be slow ...

Now with the amount of actual XP it take to get from 31-32 points of any passive deity, and me knowing there is people out there with more than 40 (im being conservative here, i know people who brag at 50+) in EACH you have to be extremely carefull.

Now arguing how easy it is or how hard it is in itself pointless, IF it was that easy, surely it would be done like that dont you think?
  15. Entropy Well-Known Member

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Deity_Tithe_System

First off, we're not overflowing any datatypes here. It's at a minimum an INT32.

Secondly, nobody has accrued enough points in a single stat type across their account to break past the ~170k required to cap it at Rank100. The most focused no-lifers are between Rank 70-80 Tithe POT, and they are extraordinarily rare, and they've done that on exactly one character.

The merge script runs three times per account, separately pooling each stat type, and then combining each one into its new final value. In the extremely unlikely event that someone has more than 169k points in a category, that stat would be set to Rank 100 and the extra points would be lost. What kind of wonky voodoo math are you invoking that would require the need to iterate this literally one point at a time, hundreds of thousands of times per account?
    Grishtik likes this.
  16. Flatline Well-Known Member

Wasnt aware of the point to tithe conversion table existed. Your logic is fine as long as we dont have to convert the points back into XP - which was my original premise.
    Earar likes this.
  17. Earar Well-Known Member

u should keep the points ... not the xp

so if one is lvl 20 in pot he used 1455 points

if another is lvl 30 he used 4758 points .. adding 1455 to the lvl 30 would bring u to almost lvl 33 .. I don't understand what's so hard ... when points are even stated ^^

feels this potency conversion would hurt less people with one toon with 30+ pot while others around 20.and the higher u are in lvl the less adding points will really matter.

it hurst the most the ones that are low in tithe

if 2 toons have lvl 20 pot ... u get 2910 sooo almost 26. which would matter anyway since the diminishing curve is 30
  18. Grishtik Member

Tithe points vs xp, i'd say go with whichever method is easiest to implement.