Reduced Logging in favor of 'performance'

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Mermut, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Mermut Well-Known Member

I'm curious how removing a few log lines is going to be enough of a performance increase to remove important information as to what is happening in the game, especially when character's die.
    If such a large number of hits are landing for more than 1/2 a character's health in a single hit as to be a significant portion of the log that it reduces lag, then removing that will make the logs effectively useless for figuring out what is happening. Especially since ALL one-shot hits will fall into the category.
    This will make healers jobs even harder as it is removing even more information about what is happening and what tools might be useful to prevent people from dying.

Why not remove damage TO mobs instead? That would remove MORE lines from the logs since players hit mobs more than mobs hit players and would be more lines of log and hence more a performance increase...

Knowing what is damaging players and what killed them is an important part of figuring out strats and such. This will have a significant adverse effect on difficult content.
  2. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't parse and all, but when we had the readjustment to level 120 event mobs a couple months ago, knowing what kept one-shotting me was kind of a big deal to get it fixed.
  3. Moss Well-Known Member

its almost funny how those in charge of game mechanism add new "effects" all the time, requiring more compute time needed for each iteration, and instead of removing all the cluter they have put in place and simplify the game mechanism, they decide to remove the logs expecting to solve the root issue

why not start by merging all useless stats : fervor, combat fervor, heal fervor, spell fervor .... , remove ability mod

remove all proc effect on items and replace them with base stats, remove/greatly simplify combat/heal mitigation, remove bleedthrough, remove surge damage; all of those are not needed anymore and makes class balance a pain

all those mechnism must consume very high amount of cpu cycles and memory for every single damage/heal calculation in game

make all game process lean and I'm sure will we see improvement sooner than expecting

no more proc buff replaced by base stats, no more proc damage serioulsy we should do more damage with our abilities than our weapons/adorns proc damage, no more surge every second, simplify damage calculation (ward, bleedthrough, damage reduction...)

by the way was it really necesary to add new proc (illy new buff, or new celestial fervor buff) that requires some additional calculation based on the number of players ? we already knew from past expension that those kind of items are inducing lags

I really hope they wil be ambitious with next expension
  4. Melt Actually plays the game

I think this change is totally backwards:

I do not care about the damage below 50% of my health. I *ONLY* care about the stuff that hits for more than 50%. The rest is irrelevant. I sincerely hope that the notes have this backwards.
  5. Feldon Well-Known Member

If this isn't going to be logged to the client anymore, then that's going to remove a major diagnostic tool players have to determine why their face is being eaten. If calculating and sending zillion digit number to the client is the issue, then hopefully at least a percentage will be sent down.

* Grand Moff Tarkin reduced the player's health by 87% using the ability No Longer Being Alive.
  6. Treggar Active Member

I honestly don't see the point of removing this. This information is being sent from server to client anyway so that the game client knows to update player entity health. Displaying that data should have no impact on performance.

What really needs addressed is server side logic when there are large encounters in combat. Either the zone servers capacity was poorly planned and they are undersized or there is some crazy logic going on that brings the servers to their knees with 6-12 mobs fighting a raid. This is exasperated when there are multiple raids that entered the zone around the same time and are possibly sharing server resources.

This problem can also be seen by people in a zone when a raid zones in. There's a good 10-15 second lag in a zone when a raid full of people zone into it. The zone server loading all these characters at once is not able to keep up. Knowing this, it would be really easy to troll a guild trying to do contested in wracklands by just zoning a raid in and out of halls or barrens until they wipe.

This behaviour can also be witnessed in guild halls around raid time when there's a constant stream of people logging (zoning) into the GH.
  7. Zynt Feldon's sock puppet

Here, here on all points! Thank you for the new signature. I hated to replace my old one but this is perfect.
    Whilhelmina and Mizgamer62 like this.
  8. Zynt Feldon's sock puppet

The whole idea of, "We're not going to do that because players don't like change," is such a dishonest and uncreative response. It's not that players, the majority anyway, do not like change. The issue lies in the fact that you change things constantly that no player has ever requested. Things like removing harvest levels for instance. This, as well as that, and many other changes that have been made are indicative of ignorance of your game and player base. Ignorance or apathy, perhaps both.
  9. Smashey Well-Known Member

That's so beautiful and true I shed a tear. If only the people at Darkpaw actually cared about the game and their customers more than the person sitting on the throne refusing to change anything.
  10. Elskidorr Active Member

Ditto. It's really embarrassing how EQ2 has been handled VS EQ1. There is a beautiful game lost in the chaos and its high time to make it shine again. Listen to the your customers, not just the ones that are left, but the ones who left in droves. They left the loudest message.
    Whilhelmina, Zynt and Priority like this.
  11. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

The sensible position is to wait for the technical explanation in the upcoming weeks. Players do not know what is under the hood.

I’m sure Dreamweaver will intervene in this thread.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

Actually, no, the sensible thing to do is to point out the problems it will cause BEFORE it is put onto live. That is (or should be) part of the POINT of test. To find the issues and have them addressed BEFORE the problems get to live.
    The main point is that this will HIDE more information, vital information, from the players. It will also make it harder for players to give the devs useful information to help debug in the future (as Whilhemina's example illustrated). It isn't just sensible, it's VITAL, that these concerns and issues are brought up BEFORE things hit live.
  13. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Yes, I agree with pointing it out. I’m not singling out your original post. I’m looking at the subsequent drama (overreactions).

Dreamweaver has done a great job of keeping us informed of technical issues.

As an example, most or all EQ1 players thought devs could make more classes, races, and illusions. Devs like Ngreth have briefed players about soft limits and hard limits due to 16-bit integers and global file memory

I’m sure there’s a technical explanation for targeting this specific value/log. If it dramatically helps with lag, who knows what the reception will be in a few months.

Let’s not overreact like the “rare BoL TS books” which are sold for copper now.
  14. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

EverQuest 2 is 16 years old.

Who knows how ancient the memory limits or engine calculations are?
  15. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Well, I think not logging all the things NPCs say that are repeats. Like 'a good invention is one that doesn't blow up in your face'. or 'I have to learn what the math equations are for to ?'.

I've noticed that as I exit the prestige houses, into Qeynos Capital district, the majoritiy of the time an NPC runs up and says one of several one or two sentence speeches, i have heard before. Likely the same clock hour. It gets boring and unnecessary.

Quest speeches are fine, but the other items could be reduced and not logged either.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Benito like this.
  16. Priority Well-Known Member

People don't care what EQ1 does here. They're not the same game, stop pretending they are.
    Zynt, Tkia, Feldon and 1 other person like this.
  17. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Both games are under the same studio (Daybreak) and management (JChan).

Both games are very old (21 years and 16 years, respectively). Therefore, both may suffer from similar limitations.

Both games have been known to share resources (management, technical, art teams).

There is no need to waste resources if each game can copy good aspects from the other game.

JChan anonymously plays EQ1. (She is an EQ1 raider). So how an EQ1 player views EQ2 may inform decision-making.
    Whilhelmina likes this.
  18. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Fun story from Moorgard (Former EQ2, Vanguard, EQNext dev); he said EQ2 was a hot mess in early years of development. The veteran EQ1 team (with folks like Azaliil) came over to EQ2 and built EQ2 from scratch in a year.

EQ1 veterans are having a huge impact in games like Pantheon, Ashes of Creation, and World of Warcraft. Blizzard/WoW is actively trying to poach EQ1 devs (Holly, Prathun has signed with them).
  19. Drazia New Member

You are actively trying to derail another thread.

Please stop.
    Zynt, Tkia, Geroblue and 3 others like this.
  20. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

I am trying to explain how EQ2 uses an ancient (16 year old) engine with memory limitations. Software and hardware limitations may explain the decision to cut the log (big number calculations?).

EQ1 (16-bit, global memory limits) was an analogy. If I didn't bring in this analogy, posters would ask for my experience or evidence to back up my claim. Anyone with a tech background will say, "Oh yeah, 16-bit or 32-bit limits are ancient." The EQ2 engine/system is currently opaque to most-all players.

Edit: My story from Moorgard is to share an interesting tidbit of EQ2 history and my intent was to lighten the mood.