Recklessness, Not Practical, Not Fun.

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Corydonn, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Duele Active Member

The problem a lot of us have with how useless Recklessness is really all comes down to why the ability was made.

Recklessness was put in game to allow Fighters that aren't tanking to be able to contribute something to a group/raid.

The current version of Recklessness does not fix that issue. It did when they made the stance, it doesn't now. The DPS gap has gotten way too large and Recklessness is not dependable enough.

People in here trying to compare their Priests or Utility classes in this argument are really just being asinine. There are plenty of spots for priests and utility classes in group/raid. They don't need the fix that Recklessness is supposed to provide for Fighters. By the very basis of their primary role they already saturate groups and raids.
  2. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

I think they could do a couple things with Recklesness

1) - Make fighters in Reckless stance immune to Hate Gain improvements (I.E. illy reactives/buffs that grant hate gain if fighter, hate loss if otherwise); doubly add an additional clause to all de-aggros "If in Reckless Stance" across the UTILITY classes (Swash, Brig, Illy, Coercer to name the ones I know for a fact have some of those tricky ones)

2) - Reduce mit to roughly Chain mit while in Reckless, so that if you get swung at...it actually hurts. As I recall, it currently cannot be used alongside Defensive stance, in the case of plate tanks. Maybe convert lost mit into Pot/Ability mod? Not sure if this would be helpful or just a negative change, in all honesty.

also remove the "15 second stance loss" when swung at. Replace it with a cannot block/riposte, may still parry/dodge clause. Essentially, put the Tank on a scout level defensively* (* - Rogue is not factored into this, I will be perfectly honest. Considering my rogue abused riposte like mad before betraying).
  3. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

A predator or sorcerer, definetely not... but i've seen with my own eyes a Crusader with recklessness beat Summoners and Rogues, and these summoners and rogues do some pretty amazing dps, upwards of 5 mil and higher.
  4. Talathionwins Active Member

I have too, and your refering to Shadowknights who have 2x higher damage then all other fighters except guardians.

I agree, they can do that DPS.. if they have every group buff available to them.. if they put them for example on that summoner or other T2 dps he would be doing 6-7million.
  5. Axterix Active Member

Some of it just seems like it should be considered a bug. The give someone a second chance at avoidance powers, for example, don't seem like something that should at all be nullifying Recklessness, nor should any other melee attack where you character is not the actual target.

That said, I don't get why Recklessness exists at all. Fighters have a defensive and offensive stance. The former boosts their D, making them better tanks, while the latter exists for them to be, well, offensive. And each class having their own offensive stance means they can be tuned individually for greater overall balance. For something inbetween, there's stance-free or switching up your gear a bit, like wearing offensive stuff in defensive stance. That someone even felt the need to create Recklessness means the design is screwed up. It shouldn't need to exist.
  6. Talathionwins Active Member

"If you are hurt, reckless breaks."

Its not a bug, because its doing exactly what it says its doing. It was just not very well thought out. Anything that hurts you, teammate or otherwise will break Reckless.
  7. Axterix Active Member

Not sure where you're pulling that from, but that is not what it says on my bruiser. The two bits that talk about it suspending are in the description and under the list of effects.
    From the description: "This stance will suspend if certain requirements are met."
    And what actually suspends it: "Suspends for 15s if the caster is swung at with a melee attack. Does not suspend in PvP combat."

Since, when you're using one of those teammate avoidance buffs, you're not actually getting swung at, it suspending under that condition does indeed sound like a bug.
  8. Talathionwins Active Member

Its actually "When you take melee damage this effect suspends." more like it.
  9. Darkon Well-Known Member

I had to chime in here. You're wrong. I like you, but you're wrong on so many levels. There's a rune that blocks indirect AE's (won't block AE auto even if it procs) that goes off when struck with a melee weapon.

So it wont work, because the requirements to proc it would disable Recklessness, and even if it would proc, it wouldn't block AE auto.

<3

Recklessness is broken right now, and if the intent is to leave it in it's broken state, it's too bad.

Truthfully there should be one of two approaches.

A) Revamp it to be functional by balancing it based on class and remove all the ridiculous 'suspend' mechanics which make it unreliable and a nightmare to use.

B) Remove it completely and fix tank DPS by increasing base values across the board by 50-80%.

Leaving it in is a mistake. It removes all ability to balance tank DPS while not being useful in and of itself in it's current iteration.

That's my two cents, not that anyone cares.
    jordash and Silzin like this.
  10. Axterix Active Member

What I quoted is word for word what it says in game for Bruisers, Guardians, and Shadow Knights. Hence the quotation marks. So again, I ask, where exactly are you getting this from? Is it maybe worded differently for Monks, Paladins, and/or Beserkers? Is it written elsewhere then hovering or examining the Recklessness stance? Because I'm not seeing it.
  11. Reshi Member

This is fine. However can you make it so that raids actually *need* more than 2 fighters please? Ideally a raid should *need* 6 fighters but I will settle for 4 :p
  12. xkrisx Well-Known Member

13. Talathionwins Active Member

No, I am actually stating what it actually procs from, not how its worded.
  14. Axterix Active Member

In that case, there's definitely a bug there. Either it doesn't work properly or the description is wrong/incomplete.
  15. Caith Developer

I haven't been able to reproduce the bug you are describing at all. Provide specific steps in how you reproduce this issue and I will take a look.
  16. Talathionwins Active Member

Use Intercede.

Use your avoidance buff. Like http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Shield_Ally , I always forget the fighter names.

There is also an earring from SoH that makes you take damage. http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Mortal_Coil I don't know why you can't use it and take the earring off anymore, killed all the uniqueness of the item.

Do some of the "Temple" instances and stand near a named and his AOE crushing will usually break your thing.
    Do "SoS" and there AOEs will usually break reckless.

First of all, mob AOE autoattack and frontals themselves breaks reckless.

If you seriously make it "10 taken in the next 10 seconds will break reckless" instead of 1 you will still not be tanking with this and fix most of these issues. Most mobs hit the tank multiple times after all.

Surely you can't say there isn't an issue when so many people report one, however most of these bugs are found in the middle of combat where its really hard to pinpoint the issue. I only start noticing when my attacks start ripping aggro from the target and I go splat. One of the reasons I don't like the buff myself is it helps Shadowknights and Guardians more then any other fighter class.
  17. Corydonn Well-Known Member

You are going to have a hard time reproducing his issues because they don't exist. With those zones having so many mobs it's very easy for just one of those to lose aggro for a split second to take a swing at you and it breaks your recklessness. Hence the annoying of having to keep your character window open at all times to see if your hate gain is at -150% or your potency is at normal so you can keep using the 25% of your abilities that do damage and hate or not.
  18. Darkon Well-Known Member

Talathion. :(
  19. Maergoth Well-Known Member

I miss the days where if you wanted a DPS boost and an inability to block with a penalty to hategain and incoming damage.. you put a 2 hander on and used offensive stance.

Now, that just doesn't yield the results. You gain maybe 5-10% more damage, sacrificing 25-50% of your survivability. The difference between offensive and defensive stance alone, offensively, is laughable. It just seems strange that the idea of returning to the old ways and rebalancing offensive stance to iron out any discrepancy between tanks is completely off the table. Especially when so many people are upset with reckless.

"It's too good!"
    "It's terrible!"

Both correct, in certain situations. But that is a problem.

What exactly is the purpose of recklessness?

To give a tank something to do when they aren't needed on a fight? To sit in for a nonexistent DPS class in a pinch? Then why have it disable at all?

Or is the purpose to provide DPS for a tank who IS supposed to be doing something, in which case.. why not give full control of the stance to the player? Why the arbitrary disable mechanic, insane but inconstant damage boost?
    Reshi, Silzin and Kurogo like this.