Recklessness, Not Practical, Not Fun.

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Corydonn, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Corydonn Well-Known Member

So I was doing a few groups the other day to fill in group slots as DPS and found myself having a horrible time with the "new" rather useless Recklessness stance. I think a video showing a dungeon run would have been much easier to point out my complaints but I am going to try and voice them out anyways.

1. The penalty for being swung at is too steep and way too easy to break. I lost count how many times a random add spawn or random AE proc got me swung at once and totally murdered my dps, Which also brings me to point...

2. You literally have to play in recklessness with half your screen covered up (Default UI anyways) for your character window to see your potency or hate gain so you know if you can use a good 25-33% of your abilities without them having threat components incase that one mob took a random swing at you or risk snapping or ripping with very moderate to low dps.

3. This one is minor but it is slightly imbalanced toward plate tanks with their ability to still block attacks and have a majority of their mitigation without any stance on when recklessness breaks and they get aggro while brawlers are nearly defenseless. Especially running a DPS spec without the extra 2 tsunamis and other goodies.

I went through 4 groups yesterday trying to pass as dps and had recklessness ruined nearly every pull with the wild shadowknight needs no healer mass pulling or the normal group of slow pulling and that one random add spawn or add coming in being hit by an AE proc taking a single swing at me ruining the stance.

My 2 cp!
  2. Talathionwins Active Member

Another problem with brawlers specifically, is with the new Reckless a lot of your buffs cannot be used. If you place an avoidance buff on a healer for example and he uses your avoidance to avoid the attack, it will count as you being hit and reckless will break.

It also buffs spell casters a lot more then it buffs melee based Tanks.

I'd like the buff to be a mix of Weapon Damage Bonus and Potency, however I really don't like it. It should be a brawler thing like it originally was, I just don't see a DPS plate tank.
  3. Koko Well-Known Member

Makes sense. I'd consider this a win (that the buff can be cast at all), and I certainly wouldn't bring attention to it on public forums.
  4. Talathionwins Active Member

Also earrings that damage the group, or hurt group members.

For example Shadowknights Bloodletter and Siphon will also count as being hit and break reckless if another tank is in the group.
  5. Corydonn Well-Known Member

No that isn't a win, Some of the buffs add weapon damage bonus/hate transfer or gives extra avoidance to the caster even if the player can't/shouldn't dodge in reckless
  6. Feldon Well-Known Member

After seeing Recklessness patched and patched and patched again to try to prevent it from being used for Powerleveling, and after seeing the ability become so unusable as to be comical, I've removed it from my hotbar and I imagine that others will do the same.
  7. Koko Well-Known Member

Right, and a DPS/priest/whatever dodging an attack is way more DPS than if they didn't ('cause they'd be dead). It also means aggro is in the wrong place, and the fighter likely shouldn't be in reckless to begin with.

Definitely a win.
    That sucks if true though. ='(
  8. Silzin Active Member

Well lets look at Y the ability Exists.... To give Fights that are not tanking something Productive to do in Group or Raid.

I agree with Cory in that the ability as it is does not do enuff and at the same it still costs to much.... I think by giving a 3 sec Window of being attacked directly (Or being the target of a Hostile NPS for more then 3-5 secs). This may fix the problem with it dropping.

Next for the DPS part.... I am not 100% Sure what to do to address this as the ability is formatted. Unless they make it a Class by Class Stance.
  9. Corydonn Well-Known Member

10. Corydonn Well-Known Member

Did another two groups with Recklessness tonight. Still had to have my character window up most of the time and I was having the ability break on almost every named fight with adds and nearly every pull where anything extra came.

But what was previously reported about avoidance lends is wrong. I've not had recklessness break for avoiding attacks for another nor have I had it break using intercedes.

Also damn edit button not working for me~
  11. Duele Active Member

I never use the ability now. It is worthless in basically every level of gameplay now. The stance doesnt give enough dps now to make up the huge dps gap. And the new mechanic that drops recklessness makes it worthless.

The stance no longer does what it was meant to do. It needs to be revisited and fixed to allow fighters that are in group/raid contribute more when they are not tanking since most encounters still only require 1 or 2. With how little dps it actually increases they need to get rid of how it drops now. Than either add some more dps to it or add significant group buffs to it. It would have been nice to see multiple choice AAs for choosing different types of group buffs tagged to the stance.
  12. Caith Developer

There are no plans to make any changes to Recklessness in the near future.
    konofo likes this.
  13. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

Recklessness is way too powerful if you got the right gear for it and now how to play it properly.
  14. Talathionwins Active Member

Powerful, but useless in a real raid or group setting compared to a deal DPS.

It can wipe the raid too easy.
  15. Corydonn Well-Known Member

Yeah you can gear it right and have it be really powerful but it still won't work right because of how easily it's broken and made useless by that random factor.
  16. Talathionwins Active Member

Even still, classes like Brawler will never be as powerful in Reckless as for Example: A Shadowknight or Guardian who can double up their combat arts or have spell doublecast.
  17. Corydonn Well-Known Member

That's a real shame, Thanks for the update at least though. Communication is still awesome.
  18. Duele Active Member

Thats disappointing. Wish that decision would have been made prior to the change to make it useless.
  19. Koko Well-Known Member

Confirmed. Recklessness' potency effect is mathematically identical to "doubling the base values on all abilities"

Proof
    Base*(1+2*(P+50)/100) = Base*(1+(2P+100)/100) = Base*(2+P/50) = 2*Base*(1+P/100)

Comparing the base damage ratings of fighter skills (x2) to "DPS classes" is remarkably eye opening.
  20. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

Yeah, i'm jelly of Fighters's dps with Recklessness, they can seriously beat almost every dps class on parses.

If you're getting hit and losing recklessness buff, then either the tank is doing something wrong losing hate to you, or threat transfers aren't being used correctly, or you're not lowering your threat properly via equipment or CAs.