Recipes UI Suggestions

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Asterix, May 19, 2020.

1. Tkia Well-Known Member

No please don't remove those things as they're not irrelevant to everybody. I use them regularly, particularly recipe book, to browse through a range of products that have no other common flag by which to group them.

For example I have a skill filter for 'tinkering' so that I can browse tinkered items without having to wade through all the jewelry, furniture and scout spells that otherwise show up on the workbench.

I use recipe book collections to be able to browse available items from specific live events which I would think would be a common setup among decorators working to a particular theme. I also use recipe book collections to group related recipes for faction writs that are requested randomly and otherwise split across workstations and have no naming commonality with which to search. I sometimes set a filter for a single recipe book, eg the blue mahogany set from the Unrest book so that when I want to decorate in that matched set I can see all the items available to me in order to plan. I can't think how else you'd set up to do searches like that. Even if you allow recipe book name in the filters there's an awful lot of them to remember in order to type in what you want.
    AOE1, Finora and Whilhelmina like this.
  2. Captain Pengie New Member

Sorry - should have said that I consider them irrelevant. For me it is all about finding the end product not the source of the recipe, however I can see where you are coming from as I had not thought in terms of decorating themes etc. My main crafting is to supply guildies with armour, weapons, jewellery and food so I think about what bonuses and effects I want on the end product so I can target specific items to the class of the person I am supplying. But I can see how the source info could be useful in the situations you suggest and remove my comment as to their irrelevancy. ;)
    Whilhelmina and Tkia like this.
  3. Xavion Well-Known Member

a option to not load all recipes up when you open the recipe window would be nice. a hide quest item craftables would also be nice. A item type search/filter option (adorn armor weapon etc). a class specific filter for spells etc. maybe a option to show all recipes you currently have materials for?(probly would be a huge lag idk). I dont know if this would be in the same category but the option to craft multiple items without having to use the dumb prestige tree node i mean really this should be a common base feature to mass craft. option to skip the crafting mini game if your skill and lv is high enough for instant crafting i mean why do i need ot waste time with it when its a lv 5 thing and im lv 120 lemme skip it plz.
  4. oakmiser Well-Known Member

I really like all of Captain Pengie's suggestions that I skimmed over. Especially things about searching and filtering.
    I would also like that auto loading all recipes as soon as you hit N would be turned off by default as I have heard on podcasts that this causes server lag. Just make it obvious how to get recipes to appear, filter, or search into the list below. For instance when you first press N have a message appear in the recipe list that says something to the effect of "To Begin, select a preset filter from the list above or click search all to load your desired recipes" and those of us that have created presets filters or any staff made presets can be chosen then narrow down the search so less queries are made to the server.
  5. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

I truly love that last pic (darkUI user as I said before). As you said, it's true that it can be hard to find the right item. As I maintain a tradeskill website, I did commit most of the recipes to memory, so the current filter mostly works for me (now if I could just filter the books themselves, even when knowing the name, it's hard to find a specific one...). But having an expand button allowing me to SEE the final item directly would still be a huge help, especially in recent tier where everyone can wear mostly everything (there's 20 jewels to pick from for some slots in the last expansion!).
    Said expand window should allow the ctrl+click feature to preview final appearance too.

(and thanks for removing your comment about stuff being irrelevant, it's always nice to see people considering other people desires/point of view. I massively use the recipe filter as I know recipes by book and the current filter system is based on them. Other filters are irrelevant for me, but more filtering options is ALWAYS better, regardless of being relevant or not for individual players, so go for filters!)
    Finora and Breanna like this.
  6. Captain Pengie New Member

Well obviously nothing made it into U115 to improve crafting, but is there any chance of some Dev feedback on this issue to let us know if it is still being considered? Asterix posted the thread back in May and hasn't commented since - I hope that doesn't mean they have succumb to Covid or been reassigned to something else and that this 16 year old filter problem is going to keep going on and on forever.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I bet Darq could do that. You might suggest it on the EQ2Interface.com forums. His current crafting window allows you to see the numbers of what bonuses to progress, durability etc. are happening already, and the detriment icon is large and has tinting to show you how long you have before you have to mash that button.
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Jems Member

I don't believe I skipped over this from someone else, but I would love to see it possible to filter things by type, even for example by their icons - especially where it comes to plant furniture in Carpentry. It's so hard to find, and there is no specific name that stands out for all of them but their icons are definitively distinct from the other categories, like tables, etc.

Also, this is slightly related but not really tradeskilling, I'd LOVE it if there was a single merchant in each city - like a faction importer - who sold all of the faction furniture items out there, but you can only buy what you have access to. This would be great for two reasons 1. It is hard to remember where everything is and 2. It would probably increase how much people go back and revisit certain old content
    .. you can't spend time building faction for these things and in those zones if you do not know they exist.
  9. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

I have not read this whole column yet so please excuse me if this has already been suggested .. but it would be great to have a Word Search Function for Recipes as in - what items the Recipes make. Like if I wanted to Craft some mirrors, I could type the word MIRROR into the Recipe UI Search Function and it would list all of the Recipes that make mirrors. This would be greatly helpful.

It would also be great to have Recipes for food items more and table items .. like Roast Turkey, Frostfell Ham, Silver Plates, Silver Forks, Knives & Spoons, Ladle Spoon Sets, etc. If there are Recipes already for some of these items I'd like to know about them because I'd love to be able to Craft these things and not always have to buy them. I do love the special Holiday Crafting Stations that allow you to make Frostfell type stuff. Thank you!
    Breanna and Sigrdrifa like this.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The various holiday recipes have a number of food items and kitchen items you can craft. Check EQ2Furniture.com under the Food and Kitchen categories... each item will tell you how to obtain it.

Also, check with the Loyalty merchants in the cities, they have a selection of food platters available for Loyalty tokens that you get every day for just Doing Stuff.
  11. Tkia Well-Known Member

You can already do this in the existing UI. I can search for 'mirror' on my tailor and even she gets 3 results.
    AOE1 likes this.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

*If* you are at the correct crafting table, or if you have no table selected.
  13. Tkia Well-Known Member

No, I was miles away from the nearest crafting table when I pulled that list and in fact I regularly do a blind search like that in order to find out precisely WHICH table I actually need to make a particular thing. So the function is present already as I said, people just need to learn how to use it. Using a table is just going to limit the results by the table filter.
    AOE1 and Breanna like this.
  14. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

How about Recipes for making house item = Foods and chinaware and utensils for either Carpenters or Provisioners? Would be very nice to be able to craft food items instead of having to buy them on market. What about Crafting books and blank paper and writing utensils for Sages? Or again Carpenters.
    Breanna likes this.
  15. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

House Items are made by Carpenters, except for stuff that comes from recipes we get during holidays, which anyone can make. Place settings, plates, utensils and such--some can be crafted, or you can go see Duggin on the Thundering Steppes Docks and do some harvesting for him and get them that way.

Consumable food items are made by Provisioners. There are a few house items that, when clicked, will give you a serving of food, drink, or alcoholic beverage.

You can find all the house items at EQ2Furniture.com
  16. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I to would adore a crafting UI that allowed me to filter items I'm not interesting in making right then.

To do just tinkering, I have to remember the first word of each item. I do write it down when i first scribe the recipe. Unfortunately that leads to a stack of small 1 inch by 1.5 inches pieces of paper that I lose.

I have a clipboard of 8.5 x 11 inch paper, but that is beside the point.

I tried to search for it earlier and couldn't find it. Is there a place I can find recipes that give the name, and a list of items needed by each?

Don't mean a search page. Just a list of each level, click on the level range, and it goes to a list. Then I can click on the recipe name, and it goes to a page that lists the name and the ingredients. Last time I looked was around 8 years ago, so likely its different now.

( I have found time recently to work on some recipes, and then found out I had all but one item to finish them. Thanks. )
  17. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You can create a filter in the existing crafting window that lists all items made with the Tinkering skill. I got frustrated trying to find stuff a long while ago, so I actually made my own very categorized filter. and put it on EQ2Interface.com.

It would be nice to be able to have a more flexible filtering tool. I'd like to be able to hit checkboxes rather than trying to select stuff from the cramped scroll lists in the current window. Ideally, I'd like to be able to select a level range, "usable by" class, and skill needed, for example. Or all recipes craftable by the current character at a sewing bench within a level range. Etc.
    Whilhelmina and Breanna like this.
  18. Tkia Well-Known Member

Create a filter on the 'knowledge' section for 'tinkering'. While using it you can then search within the filter, so typing 'divider' in the box will display all tinkered dividers and ONLY the tinkered dividers,
    Geroblue likes this.
  19. Kristabella Well-Known Member

How about a drop down to select Quest, Tradeskill Quest, Writ, Advanced Writ, Research BoL, Research RoS....
    So what ever you select it will check against those and just bring up those recipes....
    Whilhelmina and Geroblue like this.
  20. Solemio New Member

A list of "favorite recipes" is required, preferably the list should be at least 20-30 recipes.

We often craft some old recipes, example, amalgam and Brew of Readiness, fake death, portable tools, and so on, also many actual thing, and I dream of having a list of my favorite recipes in the game, not in a notebook on the desktop of my PC.
    Geroblue likes this.