Recipes should not use refined rares...

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Tylia, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Tylia Well-Known Member

Unless you specifically choose to use them. It is ridiculous that a priest spell recipe that calls for Black Star Sapphire would use my Refined Black Star Sapphire rares. One begins with the word Refined and the other begins with the word Black. What a frustrating waste when you are making spells and you don't think about the fact that there are Refined Black Star Sapphires in the harvest box along with regular Black Star Sapphire and the crafting process automatically uses the Refined instead of the regular. I am NOT a happy panda.
    Elostirion and Cloudrat like this.
  2. Guiscard Active Member

I keep my refined rares in the bank NOT in the harvest deport. That way I can pick them out when I want to use them.
  3. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Hua Mein illusion?:p

Anyway, you are right, it shouldn't default to the refined rare. It should default to the non-refined one, while still allowing someone to select a refined rare from the mats screen. (IOW, the screen where it shows all the components and has the [Change] button next to each.)
    Tylia likes this.
  4. Meirril Well-Known Member

When I use a refined material for other combines, the UI says it is using a refined material. Is that different for spells? Also...you could select which component you want to use at the beginning of the craft. You could make sure it isn't the refined.
  5. Estred Well-Known Member

I keep Purified Mats in bank just so this doesn't happen. The game assumes when you craft you want to craft "the best" meaning if it can use a Purified mat it will. Now for Spells this is redundant and should probably be fixed in the Tradeskill UI fix Terrogaunt is working on I believe.
    Tylia likes this.
  6. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

I agree, recipes refuse to use things they should use so there should be a way to make sure they don't waste rares using them when they shouldn't.
    Tylia likes this.
  7. Elostirion Well-Known Member

This seems reasonable.

Change the default selection to non-refined, and make the crafter change it when they want to consume a refined.

Yes, the interface "warns" you when you're using a refined, but the default should still be changed.

+1 to this.
  8. Terrogaunt Developer

I'll see what I can do. I might make it default to a plain component if you have one, but it would fill the slot if it didn't find an alternative. ( Since everyone hates having to click 'Choose' when you don't need to )
  9. Tylia Well-Known Member

That would be great! I'm guessing that the recipe used my refined rares ahead of my regular ones because I made 7 spells and I Had 8 regular Black Star Sapphires in the harvest box, along with 2 refined ones. At the end of the crafting session, I had 3 regular Black Star Sapphires in the box and no refined ones. :( I think the biggest problem with having to click and "choose" is that it's a new feature that people are just not used to. Change sometimes takes a while to catch on, and sometimes the "change" needs to be changed. ;)

I use Profit UI also, and if the default interface "warns" when a refined is going to be used, then I am at a disadvantage.
  10. Uberfuzzy Member

I'd hate to suggest this, but it would go a long way to preventing "oops" if the refined versions had different icons, or borders or something. When rares got a sparkle layer added to them, it stopped us from accidentally buying the wrong one on the broker (stupid akali vs akaline). Maybe similar to how gliders and flier mounts got a specific color border, maybe purified rares have their normal sparkles, but also a solid yellow border? You could quickly tell in a crafting prep window if a purified was being used by default
    Tylia likes this.