Rare Harvests are too rare again :(

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Te'ana, Aug 19, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-BladeLore Guest

Let me put this in really simple terms.

1. If a whole bunch of one particular rare is found in a particular zone on a particular server....................then

2. The coding for rare drops for that particular rare changes so that it becomes a bit harder to find a particular item. Not Impossible........HARDER.

This is not a conspiracy and it does not require the devs to watch the stupid broker boards. Geeze people. What I said was if you want to know what to gather just look at the broker board and see what is saturated on your server and then look for those items that are not selling for a dime a dozen. This does not, nor did I ever imply the devs are sitting in tiny cubicles counting every players rare finds while cackling mindlessly at the chaos they are about to unleash on poor unsuspecting gatherers.

Simply put a few lines of coding allows for the law of diminishing returns. The more of something found........The harder (not impossible) it becomes to find more until balance is restored in the mathematical formula. It has nothing to do with a conspiracy or devs counting beans in the laundry room.

The program does it automatically and the devs only need to check on it to make sure its working as intended and then go to lunch.
  2. ARCHIVED-Catria Guest

I have to say my husband and I have both noticed that although we have both done a LOT of harvesting recently we have not seen many imbue items at all. I do think the harvest rate for imbues is too low now.
    Sorry, Domino :( Great big huggles for all the stuff you do for us!
  3. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Lyssia@The Bazaar wrote:
    Bear in mind it was just tweaked again a couple days ago :)
  4. ARCHIVED-Catria Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    ROFLMAO!
  5. ARCHIVED-Menji Guest

I spent the better part of 18+ hours harvesting this weekend with the intention of get rough pearls. Well I did get two, yep all that time for only 2 pearls and 2 alkalai loam. I did get alot more cobalt and vanadium, at least 3 times that of the rough pearl and loam.
    Is there a plan to balance this? I decided to farm for plat and buy them off the broker at 65 gold each (which I hate doing). I have always harvested my own rares but this time I give up. This isn't the only time I have harvested for them, spent a few hours each nite during the week also and the weekend prior to that.
    I have my necro's combat disabled at level 55, the time wasn't a total loss as I was killing crocodiles while waiting for nodes to spawn. They dropped 3 exquisite chests and 1 LON booster pack.
  6. ARCHIVED-Xauphkamia Guest

I have noticed since the patch, imbue items have been MUCH more frequent (thank you!)

However, rares for T5 and T6 are horrendously tough to get again. I gathered for at least 8 hours this weekend total and I have not found one rare.

Rares for T2 and T3 are very easy to get again. I gathered for 45 minutes in Commonlands to help my husband's crafter and I walked away with 8 Blackened Iron Clusters, 4 sisal, 4 coral, 2 silver and 1 wood.

I suppose I could sell these and use the money to attempt to buy a Vanadium, however that defeats the purpose. I really just want to realistically harvest one cluster myself and make my ring. Trading is not always an option because I have nothing to offer for a Vanadium trade - as I got zero rares in my tier.

I thought the purpose of the first round of harvesting changes was to reduce the frequency of lower tier rares and increase the chance of higher tier rares. However, what I am finding from many hours of gathering this weekend, is the reverse is true. I simply wantd to find one rare for one piece of jewelry I have been trying to make for over three weeks now. I stubbornly refuse to buy this from the broker, even if I wanted to waste the money I'm saving for a mount.

I work full time, have a family and I goto school. I really do not have the time to gather for 90% of my playing time (because that would leave me NO time to play EQ2 and have fun). I am very active in my guild (being a co-gm), I spend a great deal of my personal online time crafting for others and now with the increased harvest time, I am finding I simply don't have the time to help my guildies! I have to harvest MORE because I need 3-5 rare loams for my spells and buffs and those loams are MUCH, MUCH harder to come by now in my tier (50-59).

Any chance the harvesting tables will be re-visited again? I can't be the only one who would like to have their online time count for something *grins*
  7. ARCHIVED-JesDer Guest

Xauphkamia wrote:
    It is back to it's streaky goodness ! Two nights I went out to harvest T6 .. 1st night I think 8 rares in 2-3hrs .. 2nd night maybe 2 rares in about 2 hrs.

But imbues seem better now. Not as common as before GU37 but not as bad as before GU 38 :)
  8. ARCHIVED-niack Guest

Ebon clusters are now up to 75 gold (starting price) on Crushbone... Either ore rares are too rare or there is too much plat buying going on to drive the prices this high......
  9. ARCHIVED-Mighty Melvor Guest

Everyone stop whining!
    The balance is good IMO
  10. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Mighty Melvor wrote:
    Optimist!!!
  11. ARCHIVED-JesDer Guest

Calthine wrote:
    Where are your glasses ?
  12. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

13. ARCHIVED-zaneluke Guest

BladeLore wrote:
    Let me put this in really simple terms.

If....... I got to lavastorm and spend 4 days there 8 hours day harvesting and get
    80 ebon clusters and 120 cedar and put them in my bank what happens to the drop rate?

Does it stay the same or decrease? When does the drop rate go up again? Because of a weeks period of time according to your theroy i can corner the market based on drop rate and program throttle set points.
  14. ARCHIVED-Domino Guest

zaneluke wrote:
    Ab-so-lute-ly nothing.

Which the folks who get into beta will be able to verify ... after all if it did work the way some are suggesting, folks in beta (or on test) should get massively high numbers of rares compared to more populated servers. This is obviously not the case, as I'm sure anyone on test can verify. More's the pity for my house-proud carpenter over there!! ;)
  15. ARCHIVED-PublicVoid Guest

BladeLore wrote:
    So in the simplest terms. And for clarity's sake.
    This post here is complete bunk.
  16. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

PublicVoid wrote:
    Yep. an interesting theory, now Dev-debunked.
  17. ARCHIVED-lilmohi Guest

While i won't disagree as far as harvesting raws. When it comes to mob drops i'm absolutely convinced that there is code that decreases an item's drop rate based on how many are in the world. When the new deathfist castle first went in I went through the zone and had about 10 fabled chests and 5 legendary. In fact even back to eq1 any time a new zone goes in i've allways seen a much higher drop rate than it would have a week later. Perhaps the devs are retuning drops, but i suspect there is another mechanic at work.
  18. ARCHIVED-Riyanne Guest

Of course it is all speculation, but i would not doubt it in the least if they up the drop rates in zones immediately after release. This brings more attention & subsequently more people to the new zones. Once the zone is established, tone the drop rates back down to normal levels and life goes on as normal.
  19. ARCHIVED-JesDer Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    So what you are saying is that Rare harvesting rates are not determined by the total amount of that rare being horded away or listed for sale on the broker.

This does not rule out the even more likely system where the rares rate is based on the number of Orcs killed in the world within the last (x)hrs of game play. In an attempt to reward players during peak time SoE started working on the "Orc Ears for Rares" system. This was initial designed to test a promotional system that would reward a server for killing rats however it was change to Orcs because of the cliche "Kill ten rats" is way over used in MMOGs. The initial system design would increase the chance of "positive" events for every 1000 rats Orcs killed within the last hour. It was not long before the PETO organization heard rumors about the system and protested againts the mindless slaughter of Orcs. After weeks of protesting they won and SoE stopped publicly developing the system. However SoE never lets good code go to waste so they secretly reworked the system as a method of controlling rare harvest rates based on new player activity. This was done to limit the effects of off hours harvesting bots on the broker prices. Shortly after finishing the code they released it into the game. The system has two parts. The first is that it will grant a 1% inceased chance of harvesting a single rare for every 100 orcs a player has killed within the last 5 hours. The second part of the system will grant an additional 1% increase for every 1000 orcs killed server wide withing the last 2 hours. It does not matter if they are green or not, it all counts. So .. if you want rares .. you should go slaughter orcs !
  20. ARCHIVED-Chaly Guest

Wow. I thought the X-Files was chock-full-o'-conspiracy theorists. I'm going to invest in whatever parent company makes Reynold's Wrap, because the use of tinfoil's going to skyrocket.