Rare harvest chance broken?

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Tasburath, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Tasburath Member

Either I don't understand rare harvest chance or it is broken.

I have 24.5% rare harvest chance. Doesn't that mean I should average a rare harvest on about 1 of every 4 nodes?

I'm not getting even half that in the blinding. Is anyone else seeing this? Is it a bug? Is anyone else seeing this?
    Xianthia and Kittybock like this.
  2. Bludd Well-Known Member

yeah I am seeing the same and I have almost 40% rare harvest chance. either it's bugged or the harvests on the moon have rare harvest mitigation but then db should tell us that
    Xianthia and Kittybock like this.
  3. Melkior Well-Known Member

I've never been sure about this particular mechanic. It don't think it is indicating your rare harvest chance, rather the modifier to the rare harvest chance. I'm going to make up numbers as an example. If my rare harvest chance is say 10%, and I increase my rare harvest chance by 50%, then I would expect to start harvesting rares 15% of the time. (50% of 10% is 5%, so 10+5 = 15) That would be more consistent with what I have seen. I am unsure though what the unmodified actual Rare harvest chance happens to be. I think it varies with harvest skill and level of the node though.
    Finora and Breanna like this.
  4. Bludd Well-Known Member

yeah you may be right OR
    dbg has implemented something in the harvesting whereby from each day/week/month whatever the rare harvest mitigation as i call it goes down so that our rare harvesting % is more powerful and we get more rares as time goes by

i wasnt harvesting at the start of chaos descending so i cant say it was then, did people with a lot of rare harvest chance swim in rares as i did when i started harvesting in the elemental planes 5 months after release? because i was totally swimming in them, and my rare harvest chance has just got better and of course bountiful is at 100 (which DOES work, i get bountiful every harvest pull from a node except shadow I think, havent checked)
  5. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

There's some stats in this thread: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...s-why-so-many-roots-and-so-few-metals.592378/

It seems the rare harvest chance applies to the number of attempts you make on a given node and doesn't take into account bountiful harvest. At least that's the intended mechanic I'm guessing based on the fact that roots give the correct number of rares based on rare% applied to attempts.
    Before, Domino said that with increasing skills, you had a % of chances to tap into a better loot table for the node with increased rare%, but it's been so long I don't know if it's still relevant at all. There's still something though, as my % of rare roots as been consistently above my rare% by a couple %, but with RNG that's not proof.
    Mermut likes this.
  6. Kittybock Well-Known Member

This AM, I harvested 1598 regular mats in the Blinding. I have rare harvest of 43%
    I end up with only 38 rares and/ or shadow harvests.
    Xianthia, Observing and Dude like this.
  7. Observing Active Member

Based on my experience, rare harvest chance does nothing except for roots.
    I have harvested more planar energy in the new zones than any rare other than rare roots, of which I have more than 10x as much as any other rare.
    Kittybock likes this.
  8. Alenna Well-Known Member

that is becuase the roots come from 2 different nodes the root nodes and the plant nodes. so you get double the chance at it when harvesting
    Finora and Breanna like this.
  9. Mermut Well-Known Member

Roots, and rare roots, are very uncommon harvests from bush nodes. Also, calculations on rare chance are not being done based on the number of pulls, not purely on the flat number. It's very easy to do the calculations to calculate chance per node.
    Pulls out of root nodes seem to honor the rare harvest numbers we see on our character sheet.
    Pulls out of other nodes do not.
    The disparity is NOT based on 'oh, but you can very rarely get a rare root out of a bush node'.
  10. Gregore Active Member

Well, my super harvester is at 49.3% rare harvest chance with Bountiful harvesting POT going. He also has over 100% bountiful harvest and harvesting skills over 1K. I'm getting about 20 rares this XPAC in the same amount of time I got about 200 rares last XPAC, and I had less rare harvest chance back then! Something is either very broken or very nerfed! My harvester has basically been neutered at this point in the XPAC, which is REALLY ANNOYING considering how much time, effort, and money has went into getting this toon's harvesting to this point!
  11. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

Congrats on your rare harvest chance.
    If possible, you might want to run ACT with the harvest plugin running during one of your harvest session and write down the number of attempts versus the number of rares gathered to confirm that rare harvest chance is consistent with rare roots dropping from roots and not consistent with every other node. Your stats are way above all the previous ones linked in both harvesting threads or on beta which would give us an additional confirmation of the problem.
    Breanna likes this.
  12. Zynt Feldon's sock puppet

It's broke. I don't need to run ACT to see that. I've got 782 Jumping creepers out of 12k roots and 30 Lantern Hogfish out of 10k+ fish. Wracked wood is 43 out of 9k+.
  13. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

Yeah, we all know that, but coming to the devs saying "I got this weird stuff happening" and "I had exactly 10357 items from 679 collects from 359 attempts giving me 43 rares while I have 30% rare harvest" isn't exactly the same. In the first case, it could be pure RNG in the second case you say that you had 359 attempts, 30% of that being way above 43 rares and if all data is consistent, it proves the point that the mechanic is broken and that it's not just in the eye of the beholder. And to prove that, you need a hefty amount of attempts to exclude RNG.
    Xianthia and Mermut like this.
  14. Zynt Feldon's sock puppet

Everything else I want to do in game is broken at the moment. I can either cut my well earned semi-retirement short or go harvest a billion nodes with data. Are they going to accept that data from ACT though? Do they even care? Is the rare harvest chance lowered purposefully on some nodes?

Eh
  15. Gregore Active Member

I have the ACT harvesting plugin, but just haven't had the time to work on a timesink project like this. I'll Try to make some time in the near future to do this. How many nodes/pulls would make an accurate sample size do you think?
    Like Zynt said above though, I don't need an ACT harvesting parse to know that it's either broken, nerfed, or both.
  16. Zynt Feldon's sock puppet

I'm at 1125 skills, 100% bountiful, 30.1% rare chance

Splitfin dartfish - 20,092
    Lantern hogfish - 39

Slow creeping root - 22,278
    Jumping creeper - 473

Humming azurite - 19,529
    Humming sapphire gem - 62

Luclizite cluster - 14,189
    Primal luclizite shard - 55

Hornbeam spruce log - 14,668
    Wracked wood wedge - 77

Rockhopper meat - 14,094
    Hardened zelniak pelt - 9,728

total - 23,822

Lustrous rockhopper hide - 72
    Zelniak steak - 63

total - 135

Radiant algae - 7,802
    Lunar mushroom - 11,165

total - 18,967

Radiant pome - 20
    Shrieking mushroom - 30

total - 50

Planar energy - 28
    Celestial foundation - 3
    Shadowed orb thingies - 12

Roots are the best percentage at 2.12% with Hogfish being the worst (for nodes that have only one harvest type and a rare) at 0.199%

Check my math, today is, "Non-traditional PTSD treatment day."

I did not separate the roots I got from bush nodes instead of root nodes. These were all harvested during the last 4 days, starting on Sunday and finishing about an hour ago.
  17. Xianthia Well-Known Member

18. Jannia New Member

I know this is an old thread, but it seems to be still a problem. Here's my theory: It seems like when I constantly switch node types, I get more rares. Maybe there is some code that tries to discourage "cherry picking" certain nodes. Example: If all I do is fish School of Guppies, I don't get that many Lantern Hogfish. But if harvest other node types in between each fishing attempt, I seem to get more rares.
  19. Adept Active Member

Jannia do you play a necromancer by some chance? :)

That said I find the most effective way to harvest is to do overseers missions :rolleyes:.
    Breanna likes this.
  20. AOE1 Well-Known Member

Has anyone else noticed that trying to Shadow harvest has gotten more difficult? I can cast my staff and run nearly a whole zone before I find ONE shadow harvest and before I can find another one, the effect has gone away. If I am lucky I have 4 items harvested.
    Bhayar likes this.