Rangers to be...where do you stand?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-netwerkingyuppie, Nov 10, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-netwerkingyuppie Guest

I've been planning on playing a Ranger for a few months now, and just now reached level 9 as a scout. I'm almost finished with the quests and am nearing 10. I'm a bit worried tho - is ranger going to be worth it? So far it seems the majority of the feedback is negative twords our class. Primarily the bow-agro bug worries me. We need every shot we can get... Would it be a safer and wiser decision to go Rogue at level 10? Or better yet create another character class? While I dont want to loose the time invested in my char so far (about 8.5 hours), Im wondering if Ranger will really be worth it.
    Sorry, this is all probably babling and whining, but I'd like to know what fellow scouts and possible Rangers to be stand. What do you say - stick with it or play another profession?
  2. ARCHIVED-Karnacc Guest

I posted this on another thread but it applies here as well:

Its probably all for nothing....I wouldnt scrap the class if i really wanted to be one and play one. Remember how gimped rangers were in EQ1? They became extremely fun and useful after soe realized that they had issues. SoE will balance and tweak and do whatever to make all classes fun. They wont get it right the 1st time on all of em, but im sure Rangers will be fine.
    I plan on playing one till the end so I wont abandon mine if it seems a little gimped in the beginning. I guess it's everyones personal opinion though. If you are NOT having fun then dont play it . Play something else. But if you're patient and like the class for its uniqueness, ranged attacks or whatever, then stay with it--it'll get fixed (if it is broken).
    Its what you make of it also. If you know how to play it and take advantage of the special attacks you'll like it. Challenging classes just arent fun for some people. They wont it easy. If so, Ranger just aint your thing.
    It'll get balanced anyways till where playing ranger--like everything else, will be a matter of person play style. If you think about it, it already is

Thats my opinion on it.
    These classes are far from "done". Be patient, see what YOU like and go with it.
  3. ARCHIVED-Trobon the Orange Guest

Us rangers have been through a lot through MMOs. We were not the greatist (some say umong the worst) in EQ. In SWG we are not really a viable choice.

However, what we do have is our ability to be kind. Our knowledge of RPing and of the world around us. We have all helped eachother for a long time now and it will continue here as well. We always find a way to come out good in the end. That is our special ability. We have patience and will always prevail.
  4. ARCHIVED-tncbutler Guest

I played a ranger in EQ for years! It was the best character I ever created, despite everyone pissing and moaning about them being so bad. Before EQ I had a Ranger-like character in Ultima Online that I loved too.

I love my ranger and am on the path to creating one in EQ 2 as well. I would say give it a try for a while and see if you like it. I honestly have a hard time playing anything else, I always come back to my Rangers :smileyvery-happy: It's not a class that is for everyone, though, which is why I say give it a try first.

Sedera Silvenphyre Proud Ranger--previously of Mith Marr in EQ
  5. ARCHIVED-Blackard Guest

Yeah, but it took a lot of yelling to get them there. I played EQ from beta. First char was a ranger...and they were awful to play. Once we got the changes, such as dps output, utility spells, track sorting, better armor, better weapons, better bows, no class penalty, better mana pool, trueshot, jolt etc. etc. etc. they became one hell of a class to play. It took a long time and a lot of arguing, suggesting, noise making.
    That is what needs to happen here. People need to start making viable suggestions to bring this class along rather then just declare that they either like it or don't...as I honestly don't believe there is a dev out there that has a clue as to how to make a good ranger...but we do. :smileywink:
  6. ARCHIVED-tncbutler Guest

Well, it's a given that some kinks have to be worked out again considering how their view of rangers has changed some. I fully expected that when starting EQ2.

The worst part about being a ranger in EQ was trying to get groups in higher end (even after fixes), because we were deemed unworthy by ignorant people (or overabundance of rangers LFG). I already see that happening again by reading some of the comments in other threads. People have to realize that just because they cant play a certain class/subclass well that other people arent great at it and able to contribute to a group effectively.

Here's to hoping EQ2Rangers get to realize their potential.

Sedera- the hopefull optomist
  7. ARCHIVED-Scilence Guest

Who really cares how gimped the class is. If you want power why not just be a wizzie? I didn't play beta or EQ but i really careless about the LFG issue. I love my scout and am sure i will love my Ranger when i get there. What other arch gets to rip arrows outa mobs!! :D
  8. ARCHIVED-Ferondia Guest

I just turned predator... my goal is to be a Ranger.... I heard horror stories about eq1 rangers...but honestly, I could care less if they suck... It's just a game, and I am having fun now :)
    Of course, I can't find a bow to save my life!
    Anyone know where I can get a bow I can use at lvl 10? Seems just WRONG that scouts don't get bows early early...
  9. ARCHIVED-Masters Guest

This is my personal view on things as they stand atm. Rangers are Assassin/Bowmen. The problem I think a large majortiy of people are having (my self included) is the bowmenship seems a little under par for what we were hoping. 1-2 Hits before a mob comes in is kinda like a nice pull but not a real feeling of archery skill. I played Rangers in DAoC and the idea seems the same as here. Do a nice big hit at the start then get as many as you can until the mob closes. My only really problem with this idea is how fast the mobs get in range. I have only been able to try the basic bow shots hopefully the skills of a actually Ranger will help. The biggest problem I am facing is the fact that all Scouts cannot aggro. May sound rather odd but me and my wife play together a lot so not being to get aggro off of her is rather annoying. As it stands I will still keep going towards Ranger and look foward to what the class has to offer.
  10. ARCHIVED-Kehoe Guest

About the bows... people need to remember that Predators are not Rangers. and they should not have supreme archery skills, Predators main thing is that they can stalk stuff.. hunt them down like a pray.

same with the Scout, you dont see anyone complaining about why scouts cant use bows.
    wich they should acctually be able to do, if i was in charge :)

Ranger on the other hand is a fully trained Master in the Art's of Archery, and there's when the big hit's will come, i dont know this cus im not a Ranger yet but i'll give you my Theory example :)

from Scout to Predator...

when we played scouts we mainly had attacks that where carried out in the "normal" way.
    then when we got closer to and became Predators, we got sneak attacks and such wich is in line with that class.

following this, would mean that we get some kick *** bow skills when we close in around 25-30
    and if you remember the HUGE damage diffrance from quick attack to Sneak attack and then back stab, you can just begin to wonder what the damage diffrance will be to thoose awsome Bow skills :)
  11. ARCHIVED-acemac Guest

there has never been positive feed back about rangers in any game they are a class to play to learn patiance and cunning if you did not play a ranger in eq1 i sugest a differant route cause you likley wont be able to take the heat that we get. look at all the great things rangers have done . 1 consecutive 2000 hp crits in the high end (rangers were always **** till end game) and the best class board around eqrangers.com and the rangersglade why?? cause rangers know all the ins and out of the game i have never met a rnger who did not...

ACEMAC
    66th lvl ranger povar 127 aa
    17 th lvl pred cruchbone soon to be a LEET ranger
  12. ARCHIVED-toastedwyrm Guest

I'm ex- Ultima Online... played from the begining but quit a few years ago.. anyways, anyone who knew that game probably know of the tamers w/dragons (i had a mare and drag) we were majorly over balanced as a class.. my pets killed everything =} i'd hate to see anything like that happen here.. so far i'm having a blast with my pred and i look forward to becomin a ranger.. we don't need nerfed tamers running around EQ2 ! this game is pretty well balanced and i hope they keep it that way.. people like me because i TRACK ! beats running in circles looking for stuff... i'm needed just like everybody else =)

plus hunting solo i think is fun too !!

- this ended up in the wrong thread.. was meant for the hawk pet post =} sorry 4 the confusion lol
    Message Edited by toastedwyrm on 11-19-2004 04:09 AM
  13. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

I haven't had ANY problems or experienced ANY of the "heat" you guys refer to. I think the problem with our class is that to play a ranger you have to be a little melodramatic. ;)

Anyway, all I have to do is run into a zone and flip 'LFG' to on, sometimes it takes 1 minute, sometimes 15, but I never have to solo for so long that I get bored or frustrated.

In fact, I'll often turn down groups to keep soloing for a while, that's how comfortable I am in the fact that I can find them easily.

So you really don't need to worry about not finding a group -- you'll find one, easily, unless something weird happens, like, you train every group you're in.
  14. ARCHIVED-Waldoff Guest

As an old school ranger in EQ1, i like to think that i have gone through the gauntlet. Ranger throughout my day went from useful (with a 40% exp penalty) to useless then to useful again and so on.

The one thing that stayed constant was the community. Rangers never backed down untill finally SoE gave us some good abilities. On ranged fights we were up there with the casters on DPS, with none of the aggro.

The communitys of rangers is unlike the other classes, what other class can say they had protests in kelethin? Or had petitions to VI? Our problems lead all rangers together (mostly on the glade) to group together and make things work.

I am playing a ranger in EQ2 atm, and am really enjoying it. We do pretty good damage, are the best pullers iv seen so far, and have some group utility. There will ALWAYS be things to tweak, and always people saying so and so class is better than the other, but in the end you MUST PLAY WHAT YOU ENJOY PLAYING. End of story, if your a ranger at heart and decide to be a cleric, you wont enjoy yourself. So play what you enjoy, and forget the naysayers.

We could always just have another Wrath of the Ranger anyway =p (reply if you remember this!!! or email me SSes as i lost mine)

Waldoff Aptarcher
    Crimson Underground
    Crushbone Server
  15. ARCHIVED-NightFalcon Guest

16. ARCHIVED-PrometheusO Guest

I love the profession. It's the kind of profession that either you love it or hate it. I love playing this kind of character.
  17. ARCHIVED-Branix Guest

I was grouped with a high level Rogue the other day and he used a bow to pull. Before the monster closed with us he would put three or four arrows into them. If a Ranger can hit hard and fast the class will always have a place.
  18. ARCHIVED-Miligne Guest

This is my first mmorpg, a lvl 11 predator on his path to a ranger. I've been reading around here about the pros and many, many cons, but personally i couldn't care less since I got a hard-on for bows(too much info?).
    Love rangers, always play a ranger in rpg's(NWN, etc.) and always will. I can't wait to be a ranger here!
  19. ARCHIVED-Thydor Guest

I'm an EQ1 Veteran, I had a level 53 Ranger that was my main and that’s about as high as I got in the game. I don't know what people mean when they say the Ranger class is "gimped". My opinion is not a lot of people can’t play a ranger they say "Aww... it’s too boring." Personally it's the best class in my opinion, who else had the option to have natural spells and attack at the sometime and do effective damage, druids? It takes a special person to play a Ranger, someone who can watch a mob plan out an attack and execute it. Fighters or Warriors can just run in there and beat the hell out of it and win, while we on the other hand need to sit down scope it out and be smart about it.

I'm currently a level 11 predator moving to Ranger; so far I see what I want. To be a successful ranger you need be intelligent fighter to win.
  20. ARCHIVED-burkeranger Guest

I played a ranger in EQOA for the PS2 and I absolutly loved it. I eventually tried every class in the game and ranger was by far my favorite and most fun to play and now in EQ2 rangers get track which makes it even cooler for me. I am going to be playing a ranger again in EQ2. If you are worried about the bow skills let me tell you that rangers are much more than bow users, plus I am sure that the bow skills will either be figured out or will be corrected in a future patch. I must finally say that you should pick a class that you will love to play because at the higher levels it takes forever to level and if you do not love your class/character it will take you awhile to start a new character and get back to your current level. I hope that this helps.