"Rangers are currently the higest DPS in the game. They are not supposed to be." Blackguard .

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Lord of the Arctic, Feb 15, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-mill9469 Guest

this whole "They should increase other classes dps!" arguement is pretty stupid.

The counter arguement goes "that will make this easy game easier".

And then you guys reply "well then, increase mob hps!"

You do realize that by universally increasing all mobs hps,etc, and keeping your ablities constant, that is the exact same thing as a nerf, only with bigger numbers appearing over the mobs head?
  2. ARCHIVED-TizZle Guest

Encounter Parsed: a propulsion sentinel (Level 60 epic x 4)
    Total Damage Received: 417,072
    Encounter Duration: 1m 34s
    Total Damage Inflicted: 100,586 Damage Per Second: 1070
    Poison Damage: 31,897
    Quick Shot Damage: 20,628
    Stream Arrow Shot Damage: 12,077
    Sniper Shot Damage: 8,195
    Auto Attack Damage: 3,945
    Bow Proc Damage: 3,900
    Prismatic Shard: 3,809
    Culling the Weak: 3,340
    Triple Arrow: 2,731
    Precise Shot: 2,608
    Remaining Skills: 7,459
    This is a parse from one of our rangers in our guild which states that the declining perodic poison damage is 32% of the damage made on this parse. She states that though the damage numbers are not typical the % of damage is.
    Not really knowing the ranger class here is my question: "Is the periodic poison damage the only thing that is getting nerfed?"
    If so you "should" still retain 68%(or so based upon your longer recast time for some CA's) of your astounding DPS and that is if damage from periodic poison is 0.
    If that is not the case which other numbers will be lowered from the parse above.
  3. ARCHIVED-Dirtgirl Guest

OK, let's list all possible procs that could/will be nerfed...
    Poison
    Prismatic Strike
    Offensive stance proc (thats quick shot)
    Imbued weapon Proc
    Legendary/Fabled special weapon proc
    an armor that Procs an attack
    the scout shield that procs on an attack
    any caster proc buff that procs on our melee (<3 love for conj here)

ummm, lets see, what am i missing.......
    Message Edited by Dirtgirl on 02-20-200610:42 PM
  4. ARCHIVED-TofuPatty Guest

From this parse, the proc nerf will affect:
    Poison Damage: 31,897
    Quick Shot Damage: 20,628
    Bow Proc Damage: 3,900
    Prismatic Shard: 3,809 (actually this won't be affected, melee weapons proccing from bows was removed a while ago, the parse must be from before this)
    Possibly some other the Remaining Skills as well if they were proc buffs provided from the group setup.
    So 60,234 out of 100,586 or 59.9% of the DPS in this parse, and she is absolutely right that the % of damage procs do is the norm. On the low end of my parses, about 50% of dps is from procs, on the high end about 65%, with the general trend being around 58-60%. Proc damage will of course not drop to 0, but will drop massively. What is so concerning to rangers is that this will be a huge drop in dps, our combat arts don't do very much damage in and of themselves. Procless we do about the same damage as bruisers and monks.
  5. ARCHIVED-BedlamX Guest

I could'nt agree with you more. But lets not forget that we bring practally nothing to a group after this. Its been said a thousand times Pathfining get's canceled by the Bards speed buff and any other scout that is a higher lvl. Disarm traps Ha Ha any class can now do this the Devs took that away from us. Evac is nothing but a quick ride to the front door for Lazy people, other classes have this and since there is no shard loss with death no sense in using it in combat while in a group. After this nerf evac will be my most used spell since my dmg wont be enough to kill a thing solo. Rangers are so upset because we cant do anything else.

My List of nerfs:
    Shooting Bows while running....I am susposed to be an expert with the bow why cant I be moving while shooting?
    Mob run speed was increased...This was done to stop the ranger from getting off more than 2 shots before engaging in close combat
    Casting times were increased to slow the ranger down.....I guess speeding up the mob wasnt enough.
    Stream of Arows will not fire point blank. Again the ranger is an expert with the bow why cant I shoot this way.... The CA still roots me with no quick way of canceling it. So we just stand there for a few sec while we get hit trying to cancel it.

Poisons only procing on the primary weapon.......another way of slowing us down.
    I am sure there are more but I am out of energy feel free to add the ones I missed

Cripes SOE why did you even create a Ranger Class its so obvious that you dont care for them by the way you have decapitated them.

BedlamX
  6. ARCHIVED-LokiHellsson Guest

I'll try my Ranger with the new proc system. If I don't like it, I'll just play my Warlock or Wizard or Bruiser or Necro instead.

The pendulum swings at SoE...too far one way, then too far in the other direction, and eventually it settles in the middle.
  7. ARCHIVED-Trollboy Guest

lol.
    For every thing turn turn turn, there is a season, turn turn turn, and a time for every purpose under heaven. LOLOLOL.
    /wookieroar
    methinks you need a case of vasoline, especially if you rolled a ranger just to be a tier 1 dps that can kite nearly anything in the game, have as much utility as every other rogue, and wear chain armor to boot (vs those poor casters that wear cloth and are the 2 punch clowns of the game!) LOL.
  8. ARCHIVED-Trollboy Guest

i have to agree with Blackguard. Ranger can solo blue heroics. Ranger wears heavy armor. Ranger has as much utility as the other rogues.

I predict that if sony does what it should, it will eventually be;

DPS casters top dps 1

rogues/assasins next tier 2

pet casters tier 2.5

rangers and light tanks 3 with rangers toward the top end

tanks/healers last tier 4

There is no way that rangers should be able to solo what they do, have the utility that they do, have the armor that they do, AND the dps they do.

The cost of arrows; perhaps they will add AA so that rangers can make their own arrows for cheaper.
  9. ARCHIVED-Dirtgirl Guest

Aparently NOT a rogue. LOL Tell my raid leaders that his Rangers have the same utility as the two Brigands we have been is desperate search of, or that of our Swashies. You know what he will say..."No, we keep the Rangers in the raid for the DPS"
    Educating yourself before you alienated yourself might have been a good idea.
  10. ARCHIVED-coltlane Guest

Yeah, my heavy armor and great utility more then make up for the cost of arrows. /sarcasm

We can only wear med armor, arrows are summoned and we have NO utility.

"Trollboy" aptly named.
  11. ARCHIVED-Sokolov Guest

Wizard/Warlocks = no ability to increase DPS simply by spending extra cash
    Wizard/Warlocks = lack of self/group/directed buffs which aid caster DPS

*shrug* depends on your PoV
    Message Edited by Sokolov on 02-21-200608:32 AM
  12. ARCHIVED-MegaDavidoff Guest

LOL that trollboy really now the game :smileyvery-happy: OMG hahaha *rofl* (I fell of my chair reading it)
  13. ARCHIVED-Dirtgirl Guest

14. ARCHIVED-Demlar Guest

WIzards and warlocks don't pay for things to increase their dps, you're right. What you're failing to remember is that Rangers using poison is CALCULATED as part of our overall DPS. We are expected to use poisons, which we have to pay for. It's not a bonus to add to what we can already do, it's expected that we use it to do what we actually do.

Rangers do not wear heavy armor. We are not tanks, do not buff and have no where near the utility of rogues. Ask a rogue, they tell you their primary role is to debuff with a little dps on the side.

As for soloing named, the comment about soloing named in PP is correct. I could easily solo the 2nd floor cyclops and eyeball, would actually have more trouble with the groups of cyclops before the named than I would with either one of those two. Will I be doing that after today? Not likely. Won't even try till I'm bored at 70.
  15. ARCHIVED-MaghodienStarunder Guest

Since when can we not run and shoot?

Ive always ran and used my AutoAttack
  16. ARCHIVED-Demlar Guest

You can run and use autoattack but they were referring to using combat arts on the run. That has basically been completely removed for us now so we can only snare, run off while autoattack is on, stop and fire, run, stop fire, run stop, fire, etc and hope we can do that till the mob dies. Too bad snares don't last as long as some of those skill refreshes.
  17. ARCHIVED-Sokolov Guest

Again, it's a matter of prespective. The increased DPS from poisons may be expected, but it also means that your class is seen as more valuable because of that potential DPS (this is obvious or else you would not be expected to use it!). It wasn't that you were forced to use it to be on par with others, it had put you AHEAD of the rest of the pack, thus constituting a bonus. Post-nerf tho, we'll see what this all means, and I will fully support an increase in CA damage if it looks like Rangers will fall behind other classes even with poison.

I know most people don't agree with me, but I dislike a narrow definition of utility as it is always twisted to be used by people to prove one point or another. For me, anything that aids the group is utility in one form or another. More precisely, abilities that allow you, or anyone else in group to do their job better is utility - so even Ranger self-buffs fall into this category. What's the difference really between increasing your own DPS or someone else's? How is one "utility" and the other not? You are increasing group efficiency, end of story.

(In fact, it may be argued that self-buffs are more valuable as they translate from solo to group without a hitch, whereas many "utility" based spells have diminished benefits to a solo player.)
    Message Edited by Sokolov on 02-21-200612:20 PM
  18. ARCHIVED-King Leoric Guest

HAHA, Blazare and Dirtgirl, Crychtonn know EXACTLY what he is talking about and happens to be a ranger so ya cant say try and go play one as he has and does. Rangers (preLU 20) can solo ANY ^^^ heroic encounter with ease, (even grouped ones with thorny trap of course). About the only one that we cant solo is the creature of beauty in PP, And dirtgirl he was talking about SC for one and NOT PP, but seeing as you mentioned it I figured I would talk about how easy it is. Of course all this wont be easy anymore with thte horrid changes being put in place. So theres time for one last glory post to say YES!!! WE COULD SOLO ANY HEROIC ENCOUNTER IN THE GAME. and nit could be done naked with only a bow and weps (assuming they procced pre lu19). Cuz gear sure didn't matter that much. It increased out dmg slightly but as long as we are using stun poisons anything is cake. SO ya, I would say crychtonn is a much better soloer than you dirtgirl if you cant solo heroics post lvl 55.

Leoric
    Level 60 ranger
  19. ARCHIVED-Sokolov Guest

Yep, prior to last night, my ranger was wearing level 20 gear (except her bow and poisons) until level 45. There was little point in upgrading.
  20. ARCHIVED-CrimsonValerian Guest

If you guys can solo poets palace then why the griping about the nerf? That's mega overpowered, when you state that you can drop ^^^ white, yellow heroics you're doing nothing but adding fuel to the fire.
    On the other hand, from what i've been reading about parsing numbers if 55% of your dps is from procs and poisons, thats a developer screwup for damm sure.
    And on the other blood-covered hand, the arrow issue is stupid, go play final fantasy with a ranger and see how much you bang out for arrows, and there are no local vendors to buy npc arrows from in that game, player crafted only. My assassin doesnt go through as many arrows as you but as many poisons for sure, dropping a regular 2 plat a day to keep him outfitted.
    As i stated in another post i don't agree with your dps being dropped around my dirges dps, and hope to see a quick fix for this.
    /Predator hug from the other Predator