Ranger Updates

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Lockeye, Mar 3, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Runewind Guest

It's unbreakable =P I'm guessing the duration is around 6 secondsish. Since he said we could get in up to 2 ranger CAs. Awesome change. Awesome changes all around I've very pleased
  2. ARCHIVED-seabhac Guest

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GIBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/does the happy dance!
  3. ARCHIVED-skylancer Guest

Wow-
    Thank you very much for listening to the Ranger community.
    I have been playing Ol' Skylancer since day 1, and it was very diffucult until LU13 to get groups or be in raids, LU13 was wonderful and our DPS was a wonder to behold.
    My parses since LU20 still have me below FURY'S!(Healers! OMG!!!), BRUISERS(while tanking), and just about every other class lol...
    Hopefully this will help ty-
    Skylancer,
    lvl 68 rgr BB
  4. ARCHIVED-jarlaxle888 Guest

great news! sounds good, hope it looks it'll turn out good when it's live. the 'lunge' change sounds pretty great to me as solo ranger. at last one of those 2 'buttons to press in melee' DoT CAs gets some useful flavor. :smileyhappy:
    thanks Lockeye for communicating this to us. it's good to hear some dev response to our concerns. like others, i appreciate this very much :smileyhappy:
    ---------------------------
    Ryilan Nightbreeze
    ---------------------------
  5. ARCHIVED-Ail Guest

6. ARCHIVED-Crychtonn Guest

Ail that's the problem with bows to begin with. They do have the same or similar damage rating of 2h weapons but with a delay 2 - 2.5 times longer. The bigger the delay on a weapon the higher the damage rating will be. The damage rating on your 6 sec delay bow shouldn't be equal to that of a 2.5 sec 2h sword. It should be alot higher.

Along with the fix to bow damage ratings I really hope they fix arrows to be in the correct tier. Running around using 'Grey' T7 adamantine arrows just feels dirty. Please fix them :)
  7. ARCHIVED-hieronymus Guest

looking at the arrows they say they are level 50?? wots going on there...
  8. ARCHIVED-Ail Guest

That is not true. Damage rating is more a function of dps, compare a slow piercing and a fast dagger with similar damage rating and you will see that for yourself...
  9. ARCHIVED-Crychtonn Guest

The only time a faster duel wield weapon will have a higher damage rating then a slower one is if they are different tiers or categories. Compare two treasure items with the same level to use requirements. The slower weapon will have a higher damage rating. It's the system used to compensate for the faster weapon hitting more often.
    If your comparing a fast legendary weapon to a slow treasured item there's a good chance the legendary will have a higher damage rating. Same as if you compare a fable weapon to a legendary. Or if you compare a weapon useable at 62 to one useable at 68.
  10. ARCHIVED-Ail Guest

I don't think we are speaking of the same thing.
    A weapon has 3 stats :
    Delay, Damage and Damage rating.
    Delay is how often you swing.
    Damage is usually two numbers and indicate what damage you do per swing.
    Damage rating is something that was added a while after release and allow you to compare weapons with different speed and damage to know which one is the better.
    It is the equivallent of the dps of the weapon.
    The formula for computing it is average damage divided by delay....
    2 weapons with the same damage rating will do equivallent damage over a certain amount of time ( the faster one will swing more often for less damage, the slower one will swing less often but for more damage...).
  11. ARCHIVED-deaks Guest

I wasn't addressing your comment about procs in my previous posting and I apologize for that. Whatever the result of the "does long bow or dual-wield give more advantageous auto-attack opportunities due to CA usage" it will directly affect the likelihood of procs for that type of user. I'd say that we can't rule on that at all until the initial auto-attack question is resolved.

In this case, we have a maximum of 8 hits for the Assassin (assuming two weapons with the same delay, each will hit when the auto-attack timer expires) and 2 hits for the Ranger.

This will only be an equal amount of damage if the Assassin auto-attacks are 1/4 of the damage of the Ranger, generally using tier-appropriate arrows and soloing this is a reasonable estimate (Assassin dual wield damage could be 300, Ranger arrow damage I estimate to be around 1200 with tier-appropriate arrows and self-buffed).

Note that the Assassin has +dps to acquire such damage while the Ranger actually has +haste and can still achieve this damage (again I am assuming the Ranger damage, correct me as appropriate -- I am attempting to remove the bias of my +dps on my own long bow auto-attack figures), the impact of your haste must be figured into this equation as well. Also note that generally an Assassin will not be using two weapons of exactly the same delay -- due to the way auto-attack syncs up two weapons on different delay cycles more dual-wield melee auto-attack opportunities will be lost in this case.
    Our understandings of how auto-attack timers interact with combat art usage is different. I haven't done a test at all recently so I can only say what I believe and test it later.

My understanding is that auto-attack has a set cycle that is not interrupted by CA usage, at the end of a long cast I would expect to have a long bow auto-attack timer to be ready or almost ready (when fully hasted) but during that same casting time have lost a hand full of dual-wield melee auto-attack opportunities.
  12. ARCHIVED-Samundus Guest

OH MY there is a God. my prayers where answerd, now i wish they where answard with lighting blots, but then again all the developers would be dead :)
  13. ARCHIVED-Jayad Guest

deaks,

I would be interested in knowing if using CAs interrupts (restarts) the auto-attack timer, or if auto-attacks can accumulate and go off when the CA does.

Does anybody know? For Rangers it could be very significant.
  14. ARCHIVED-XxSwiftyxX Guest

I was beginning to wonder when they were going to replace our bows with slingshots :smileytongue:, glad the designer made this thread...
  15. ARCHIVED-Starsilk Guest

16. ARCHIVED-chrno01 Guest

So it says on test updates this has gone live. Whats the duration someone screen shot there line of spells and post them here. If not tell us the damage/effect on all of them. I want to know how long the root it, it says a very short duration root...Sounds like its gona be a flop to me like 3 seconds or something, if its thats what it really is they better give us the ability to use bow at any range or run and use bow CA again.
  17. ARCHIVED-Star Guest

18. ARCHIVED-Tymora Guest

This is very encouraging, and I am glad that further balancing is taking place . . . but I am still not going to solo
    Lucinde, Ranger of Norrath

19. ARCHIVED-Star Guest

Off topic but LOL a friend mentioned also that Gandalf died soloing also, but he was lucky enough to get a rez.
  20. ARCHIVED-deaks Guest

I'd be interested as well but don't have any time to test, what I will do is pose the question to a dev and see if there is any response.