Ranger Updates

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Lockeye, Mar 3, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Steezity Guest

!!!! Legolas isnt that fruity two pie movie guy! hehee and all im saaaaaayin... is that in class comparison i gotta say that Aragorn is an EQ pali...(or maybe then eq pali is a tolken ranger) and that i personally am Legolas. No really. But yah /nod goin by Tolkien definition, i would say that we arent rangers....
  2. ARCHIVED-badweasel Guest

Update is great, my DPS output is once again pretty sick (in non techincal terms as I don't have the desire to scribe each and every parse in this post). Enjoy it while it lasts.

~Weasel

Closing in on 59....
  3. ARCHIVED-damahra Guest

several references were made to aragorn being a ranger, in the pub, frodo asking the barkeep who he was, the barkeep answering him that he was "a ranger, dangerous folk they be, around here, he's known as Strider"
    and again when Arwyn locates him in the woods after frodo was injured, she makes reference to a ranger being caught off his guard.
    and at the meeting where they try to decide what to do with the ring, boramere gets angry and says he won't let a "mere ranger" decide what to do with it ( or something like that) and legolas stands up and says "this is no mere ranger, this is aragorn, isildure's heir and you owe him your allegiance " blah blah blah
    aragorn was a ranger, he rocked!!
  4. ARCHIVED-Kala Asuras Guest

Jared,
    I want to offer my sincere thanks for looking into the situation and implementing a solution that will bring more of the fun into our class. Knowing that our concerns are listened means more than I can express.
  5. ARCHIVED-Dirtgirl Guest

Well then what was Legolas?
    Cause he had MAD bow skills and awesome dualies.....
    OK, so maybe Ranger =/= Archer. That works for me, as I have always enjoyed getting up close and personal for some wet work, as well a being able to stay back and still DPS without having to joust. I joust anyway, but sometimes I'm just lazy /wink
    Regardless, Aragorn was waaayyy hotter than Legolas. :smileywink:
    Message Edited by Dirtgirl on 03-04-200612:28 PM
  6. ARCHIVED-damahra Guest

he was a ranger too, but he was elven, and relied mainly on his bow
  7. ARCHIVED-deaks Guest

I'm not so sure how accurate the statement above is, as an Assassin I am keenly aware that for every CA that I execute I am losing the auto-attack damage that would have hit during that time. The obvious gain with a bow may well be that due to long delay (even when hasted to 100%) it takes an awful long casting time to make you miss an attack. This assumes that we are both waiting to use our next CA until our last auto-attack has fired, in the case of a dual-wielder with two weapons on different delays (by far the common case) you will find that the out of sync weapon delays cause you to lose attacks.
  8. ARCHIVED-Carnagh Guest

Nope, he was a representative from Mirkwood I believe, I think he father was a king, can't remember (been a couple of decades since I read the book). The Rangers were all men. The last of the Numenorians I believe; "high men".
    Mad bow skills has nothing to do with it either way.
  9. ARCHIVED-Sirlutt Guest

Update hasnt happened yet.
  10. ARCHIVED-Gareorn Guest

He might be on test.
  11. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

Actually to put Legolas and Aragorn in more updated D&D terms, Aragorn is a fighter/ranger with his ranger skills specialized in two-weapon fighting, maybe a level or two of druid or cleric for healing. His actions are much closer to chaotic than a paladin's lawful attitude, plus he doesn't have a god. So fighter/ranger is my assessment.

Legolas went down the bow path and became the Uber Archer Ranger :)

And for the person that said it, who I don't recall atm, I'm not kissing anyone's rear end. I'm not groveling for changes. I still intend to point out problems if they arise, and I will offer praise where I think it's fitting. I do find communication directly with us a good thing and so I recognize that. I think these will be good changes, so I recognize that as well.

Just because some of us express our concerns in mature and constructive manners, rather than whining at the top of our lungs like spoiled children, does not mean we are groveling for anything.
  12. ARCHIVED-Zholain Guest

I don't believe the changes discussed in the OP have gone to test yet either. If I remember correctly from another post, the changes are test update 21b, which I would assume is still in either the devs or QA's hands.

I, for one, am very glad to see these changes. I look forward to seeing if they'll actually bring the fun back into the class. The way I read it, is that our damage will be much more predictable rather than have so much reliance on the random number generator. Regardless of whether it is enough of a boost, this is a good thing. We're not ever going to be back where we were prior to LU20. That is an absolute. So those of you expecting that, I'm sorry to say your hopes are in vain.

Lockeye, thank you for communicating with us. It is very much appreciated. As the proposed changes appear to be, and if they are not, they are certainly a step in the right direction. It is good to know that our concerns are being heard and responded to.

Oops. I just checked something. There may not actually be a test update 21b. If that is the case, my apologies :D
    Message Edited by Zholain on 03-04-200606:45 PM
  13. ARCHIVED-Dirtgirl Guest

I would really like to be T1 damage without poisons. That will truely be the only way I will ever be happy with the changes to the procs.
    I wouldnt be bothered a bit if Rangers couldn't use damage poisons at all....it kinda goes against the true image of a Ranger anyway.
    I would be happy to just be able to use some debuffs. Leave the damaging poisons to the Assassins and Rogues, since that is more their style.
    But in exchange, make me T1 damage again. THAT would make me happy. That and some adjustment to the arrow situation.
    :smileyhappy:
  14. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

I'm right up there with you, Cat and Il. I never liked using poisons because they were so unpredictable in when you'd get the full benefit. I'm much happier to see consistent DPS on a lower scale than it was. It's controllable that way, so future setbacks like this don't have to occur.
  15. ARCHIVED-Sirlutt Guest

Not on test either..
  16. ARCHIVED-Tevilspek Guest

Jared,

Thankyou very much for the update on our class. Makes me very happy.

What I was wondering, if you could clarify please, is how will these changes roll out for a PvP Ranger?
    Is it all exactly the same 'buffing' on PvP? Or are these changes primarily for PvE?

Also, you focus on us being a ranged focused class. Any chance we could look at having more than 3 (not including Trick Shot) ranged CAs by the time we reach 25? (From memory). Nothing drastic, perhaps like a Bleed that's a small damage bow CA with a DoT in there too? :smileysurprised:
    And the HO completion symbol. And chance the Dagger on our melee skills could apply to our ranged CAs too please mate? Is rather frustrating having to run all the way in to complete a CA then backpeddle out again. Plus, we are ranged.

But primarily, I would love to get some input on how the PvP Ranger will change, if you could please mate.

Again, thanks a lot :)
  17. ARCHIVED-Jayad Guest

Ekard,

This is what I mean by proc chances related to CA usage. I'm not sure if this is how it works or not, but I believe it does. My theory is that casting a CA "interrupts" your AA so that it re-times. It's not a huge deal, but it could be significant.

Example, Ranger R and Assassin A want to cast 3 CAs (1, 2, 3) as fast as possible. We'll assume they have the same proc%/damage rating for now. Meaning 30% chance to proc 100 damage is the same as 10% chance to proc 300 damge. Expected DPS is still 30 in both cases. R is using a bow with 5x the auto-attack delay of A. A's weapon attacks 5 times more often, but with 1/5th the damage. We'll say the CAs all take the same length of time (1.5 seconds)

Note: don't pay attention to the exact numbers on the damage but rather how it adds up.

Ranger combat, 15 seconds:

CA 1 (1.5s)
    CA 2 (1.5s)
    CA 3 (1.5s) .
    ---- 4.5s taken so far.
    Auto-attack hits at 9.5seconds
    Auot-attack hits at 14.5 seconds

Assassin combat:

CA 1 (1.5s)
    CA 2 (1.5s)
    CA 3 (1.5s)
    ---- 4.5s taken so far
    AA hits at 9.5s
    AA hits at 11.5s
    AA hits at 13.5s
    AA hits at 15.5s

So far, pretty close, right? OK now let's say, the CAs are not instant-spammed, but rather every 1 or 2 CAs you take 2 seconds between them. This happens in the fights when you are not casting as fast as possible but rather waiting sometimes for something to happen, often early in the fighting mode.

The Ranger one will look exactly the same, except the CA and AA times will be pushed out by whatever delay you introduce.

The Assassin one will look like this:

CA 1 (1.5s) -
    Auto-attack hits due to 2 second pause being below delay
    CA 2 (1.5s)
    CA 3 (1.5s)
    Auto
    Auto

etc.

Now, like I said, I may be entirely confused on this issue but it seems to me that assassins would get more auto-attacks during CA "pauses" than Rangers would, because they get more chance to do an attack in a smaller space of time. While the attacks would be proportionally smaller than a Ranger attack (and smaller proc%), they are attacks that do not exist in the Ranger place.

If this is not true, then auto-attacks should "queue up" and release when the combination of CA time and inbetween time pass the delay of the weapon. This would be visible in dps parsers or visually as the normal ranged attack going off at the same time or shortly thereafter. Perhaps somebody already knows if this is the case. :)

Does this matter? Maybe not, because many factors go into DPS adjustments and it might be accounted for, even if it exists. I just thought I would throw this out there. I need to play with the bow auto-attack and see whether or not this happens.

Message Edited by Xney on 03-05-200612:32 AM
  18. ARCHIVED-Runewind Guest

Lockeye, you restored my faith in the dev team and made my day thank you so much.
  19. ARCHIVED-klepp Guest

illusionist issues o_O yesterday i watched an illusionist chain solo heroics that i couldnt do pre LU20 =p post in the illusionist forums thx!
    anyhow i cant wait for these changes even though it still feels like 2 steps forward after 5 back. And theres still alot they messed up w/ our utility type spells all dps aside...
  20. ARCHIVED-Eyes_of_Truth Guest

YAY!
    I have been waiting for a short duration root spell for sooo long! I also had been wondering why rangers have two attacks that are almost identicle, with the exception of their durations on the DOT.
    This is a most exceptional change!
    Im hoping that the root duration is around 6-10 seconds? breakable after say, 2 hits? with a reuses of say 15 seconds? that might work, im incredibly interested in hearing the duration and recast that you decide upon :smileyhappy:

I never thought about making the Lunge line a melee root, but that is a amazing idea. What i had previously thought was to make Lunge a knockback with a 5 second stun (imagine leaping and bounding off your foe, knocking them back from you far enough that you could then fire off a round while they are briefly stunned)