Ranger Pulling

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Kagara, Nov 17, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

Ok, so this is my guide to pulling, as in my opinion rangers have the best tools to do this.

Rangers make the best pullers because we get long bows to pull for range, can summon our own arrows, can snare, and when we get trick shot, help the tank get aggrow.

So, I am 24 now, I just got trick shot (love it), and would like to build on the rangers abilitiy to be the best pullers in EQ2 (thus build a reputation for not only dps, but pulling, and ensuring we get into groups).

Now, there are several types of pulling. The following are just examples of what I can think of, followed by short guides to each:
    1. Single pulling (solo, ^, or ^^)
      1. This is easy enough. Find mob, use back shot, wound shot, snare, then run back to tank. If your tank is good at keeping aggro, then you can also have the option of using open shot on they way back. If you have trick shot, then I suggest using back shot, snare, wound shot... THEN DON'T TOUCH THE MOB. Let the tank get aggro from you by doing damamge to the creature, THEN everyone can attack the mob.
      2. You can also just pull with snare, and then when it get's back to the tank, get behind the creature, use Corner, Impale, Dirty Tricks, then back up and do Open shot, back shot, wound shot, sneak in and use stalk/shadow blade (this looses some aggro for you, or use evade before stalk if you are doing really good damage)
    2. Group pulling (more than 1 mob)
      1. You can not use snare to pull a group, as it only affects one mob. Although I Guess you could use snare to slow down one, what I find most effective is get at max range, identify the healer in the group (if you are an erudite then just use aura sense) , or just pick a mob. Use Back Shot, then either open shot or trick shot. And run like heck back to the tank. If you do enough dammage on the open shot, the creature will stop to heal, and every bit of power that creature uses helps out in a long fight.
    3. Dungeon Pulling
      1. Know your pathing, and know the roamers. Before you pull make sure you check your tracking for roamers, then hunt+stealth to go make sure they are not close to your group, and kill the roamer if you have to. You can use the same tactics as above but as a tip, when pulling from a room with a door, what I like to do is open the door, and then target a creature, let the door close, and tell the group to get ready, when the group is ready, I start my Ranged Attack (being in stealth seems to help pulls), put my mouse pointer over the door till it highlights, and hit the F key. This is the default key for "default action" and will open the door without targeting it (if you try and open the door by double clicking, it will take switch your target to the door).
    4. Pulling through traffic
      1. This can prove invaluable for getting quest mobs, particularily in places like TS when hunting in the river beds. Look at all the creatures before you pull, know how they move and know their aggro distance. Run up and use any of the above pulling techniques, but remember to use a snare, then turn around look at your group and start running towards them. Make sure you know the aggro distance between creatures, and if you have to take some damage remember to use Survival instincts, or know when to /y and get out of there. Eventually you will get used to pulling an area, and be able to pull up an entire valley while only getting aggro from one creature.