Ranger or Assassin hmmm...

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-FluffyGoat, Nov 21, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-FluffyGoat Guest

Trying to decide between the two, I like the qeynos area, freeport is just depressing but I haven't seen all the outside zones. I like the idea of being able to use poisons as an assassin, and don't they get throwing daggers too? Is the ranger and assassin equal when it comes to bow?

-Thanks
  2. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

absolutely not
    and rangers can use poison
  3. ARCHIVED-Truearcher Guest

Rangers >>>>> Rogues with bow end of discussion.
    Rangers can also use poison.
    Rangers have track ( Not sure if rogues have that in eq2 , atleast they didnt have it in eq1 )
    Rangers can kite pretty decent with no downtime if u have enuff arrows and bow skill , rogues cant.
    Rogues ONLY deal good dmg from behind the mobb, Rangers can deal good dmg from ranged and from behind and from the flank.
    Did i miss anything ?
    Oh yea, rangers get pet :)
  4. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

assassins get a pet. it's a rat.
  5. ARCHIVED-pseudocide Guest

hawks eat rats, coincidence?
  6. ARCHIVED-Thydor Guest

Rogues don't become assassins, only predators

Assassins and Rangers get a pet, for eye candy only but its ok, I’m not complaining sure beats the price of any pet in the pet store.
  7. ARCHIVED-KetMalice Guest

As a starting scout you have track...

Assasins will be able to do more dmg period. I havent had a whole lot of luck kiting, these mobs are friggin fast, even using ensnare on em. Bow takes to **ZOMG** long to shoot and you cant shoot point blank. As of now im not to impressed, im just hoping it gets better with higher lvls. I use my duel wields more then bows just because they cant do much dmg yet.
  8. ARCHIVED-Ravi Guest

If you are using Tin arrows, that explains your problems. I have no problems with ranged damage with Iron or Carbonite. Switching from Tin to Iron will almost double your damage.
    Dual Wield w/ Poison is pitiful damage compared to when I have my bow out. Figure out some strats to bring your bow into the fight. It only does good things.
  9. ARCHIVED-dragonslayer76 Guest

Ok, Assasins can do more damage. BUT if Rangers can only do good damage with a bow, why is it you can only get those few shots oof before the bad guys are all on top of you?

That's why I am leaning towards the Assasin. More damage. But all of my friends reside in Quinos and I dont like the idea of the Betrayal mission.

So, all you Rangers out there, please tell me why I should be a Ranger rather than an Assasin.....

Please, this is detrimental to my future in this game.
  10. ARCHIVED-Ravi Guest

Be what you want. Only you have the power to weigh the pros and cons for you. If you rely on others opinions you will most likely be disappointed in the future. But since you want it, I will give you mine.

Rangers and Assassins are about equal DPS-wise, so I think. Assassin's get the bigger hits, sure. But Rangers have higher hitting normal shots to balance it. While an Assassin positions for the big hit, and then waits on his timer for the next attempt, Rangers are plugging away with 50-70 damage Ranged shots and doing their high hit Shadowblade and Backshot hits.

This is balance at work here. SOE simply didn't look at who has the highest damage shot. They looked at DPS and attempted to balance it the way they saw was best. In order to justify the price of arrows, they needed to beef up damage over melee attacks. But when doing that, they probably unbalanced DPS against the class equal - Assassin, in which they brought the damage of the Ranger's other skills down a bit to compensate. This is all IMO..
    Message Edited by Ravi on 11-25-2004 07:40 AM
  11. ARCHIVED-Andui'n Guest

Like said before, i believe that rangers is a special class. With a special type of players chosing it. I dont know why but i always played and wanted to play as rangers, nothing else. No mather how bad they might be.

Even though iam quite young in this game, i dont feel that we need to tell you or convince, why you should choose to play as a ranger, that choice is yours.. walk the path wich feels right for you. not the path we tell you too.
  12. ARCHIVED-Neecha Guest

I was a bit worried about rangers beore i became one now im happy we get a nice mix of melee and ranged skills and some nice damage with bos and in meee plus we get ranged melee attacks which are nice :p

Plus we get nice bow skills we can use while running away to kill mobs way out of our league..
    Message Edited by Neecha on 11-25-2004 03:47 PM
  13. ARCHIVED-acemac Guest

ok so you cant decide what you want to be ........

IMO if you are not 100 % sure you want to be a ranger go be a **ZOMG** you will not like playing a ranger if all you can think about is what if i was a **ZOMG** so plain and simple they are tweo differant classes that have no comparison what so ever.

ace