Ranger Class Issues

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-speedycerv, Jul 2, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Kage848 Guest

Safanah@Everfrost wrote:
    Yea i hear this kind of stuff alot and i do understand it. but

When im in the crappy grp at 750str my dps drop off is alot. When im moved to the good dps grp and my str goes up to near 1k my dps jump is HUGE. just saying....=0)
  2. ARCHIVED-Cambios Guest

Vinasaar@Nagafen wrote:
    You made some good points, but I disagree with your stance on getting rid of the minimum range. I don't know how this concept crept into MMOs but it is ridiculous. There should be no minimum range for bows/thrown. It makes no sense and does nothing but make gameplay less enjoyable.

If you shoot someone from point blank range, even with a bow, they are going to get owned. The only "dead zone" that makes any sense for a bow would be something like < 1 foot.

This dead zone concept where you cannot fire a bow always ends up being nothing more than a painful annoyance. It adds nothing to the game. It sure as heck doesn't add any strategy or tactics. It is just a painful hassle that *1* class has to deal with.
  3. ARCHIVED-speedycerv Guest

itemisation is another problem I agree, i'll add that to the list.
  4. ARCHIVED-Tomlost Guest

Is there a way we can get this un-stickied? The devs told us our class was fixed a couple of updates ago. I'm afraid that making this a sticky post will be like waving a red flag in front of a bull. We are going to get gored. I don't want to feel I've been nerfed because a dev "discovers" that an ability I have is not working as intended and decides to correct it. The devs are really good about patching those immediately. And since we've been told we are fixed, we are not going to see any benefits. Only "corrections".
    By all means, everyone should use the forums to complain about things that need to be fixed (fettering poison AA ability is just one example). Maybe we'll see the problems fixed in the next expansion. But putting this post up (and making it a sticky!) is just taunting the bear. And how many rangers bother getting the charm animal ability?
  5. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

Heres a bunch to add to the list.

I am sick of moronic itemization, buffs, and "foolish" devs. Currently our "class" is balanced with others, the above are not. This isent a "ranger" issue this is a "everyone else" issue. Sort of speak.

Currently Ranged crit/Ranged double attack are half everywhere you look, torpor scale boots, traitors crown, shaman epic, the itemization in runnyeye. Ok, "some" items have gotten a boost in RC but its a real kick in the perverbiel when ranged crit is less than melee even on "fixed" items.

Now lets talk buffs.. There are still a number of buffs that do NOT work on ranged but work on melee. Forinstance, the wizard and warlock procs, agitate, the illiousionist one (not the spell proc the other one). I have been waiting for a fix on these abilities for lets see here... 3 years.. Thats right years. Its only recently that a dev had half a braincell to swap CoB to work on range.
    Personally, I think EQ1 rangers hurt some of our devs that comes cross game. Look at how mitigation was handled in EQ1, the same dev that tried to debate it being "balanced" is our head combat dev as well.

On a side note, lets see if the word r e t a r d gets hit. (fill in the blanks if it does). "foolish" is a fill in word.
  6. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Danean@Guk wrote:
    What a completely useless post. You basically make all the points for us agreeing that there are problems and then say "too bad, we should be happy or go play WoW".

Any other garbage you'd like to contribute to this thread?

Sniper Arrow should have the same cast time as Execute. Period. It already has a long timer (12 minutes). It should not also have such a long cast that it is of limited usefulness.

Ensnare and Trap are solo and some group content only. Useless for major group content or any raiding.

If you think a dirge is "utility DPS" you clearly have no understanding of the classes.
  7. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Vinasaar@Nagafen wrote:
    You sure know how to use that Backstab ability, stabbing all the other rangers in the back.

If we aren't doing as much damage as Assassins and have no other plusses, what is the point?
  8. ARCHIVED-Bidon45 Guest

Kittsune@Unrest wrote:
    I agree with this except for 1 thing only... There is one complaint here (well, 2, but the other one I don't care enough about to mention) that I believe is entirely valid.. That is: CA Range.

Now... I actually kinda enjoy jousting back and forth to make sure I can use all of my abilities, it makes the gameplay feel more action oriented instead of just standing still and spamming CAs like say, a berserker. However, I realize that this is not the case for a lot of people, and to be fair to the starter of this post, he has a very good point. I mean, why on earth should we not be able to use ranged CAs at 0 meters if we are already able to fire arrows at 0 meters? LOL - doesn't anyone else think that makes no sense? At the very least, the range of ranged CAs should be lowered to zero IF you have a point blank bow (eagle's talon) because... Well.... thats the range of the bow... plain and simple.... If you can fire at 0 meters you should be able to use the CAs as 0 meters /shrug

That is about it really... Other than that I actually think rangers are great DPS right now if you know how to play them, I do hate stream of arrows too but all classes have at least 1 useless ability (Swashbucklers actually get stream of arrows equivalent called storm of steel or some crap like that where they fling axes or something and it sucks just as bad lol)

Really though... 0 meter bow should = 0 meter ranged CAs.. For reals....
  9. ARCHIVED-Kitsune286 Guest

Bidon45 wrote:
    It was that way for a bit after Epics came out, then a quick hotfix later iirc changed it to where CA's have a minimum range.
  10. ARCHIVED-Tommara Guest

Kage848 wrote:
    I've been playing MMO's since the original EQ. Since EQ, I've played Asharon's Call, Ultima Online, Anarchy Online, Earth and Beyond, Dark Ages of Camelot, City of Heroes, Horizons, Final Fantasy, Star Wars Galaxy, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, and I'm sure I'm missing some (should I count Alpha World and Second Life?). Throughout, I've played online multi-player games that aren't MMO's, like Diablo, Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Starcraft. And then there's old favorites like Alpha Centauri (my most favorite strategy game), Civilization, Age of Empires, Black & White, Tropico, the list could go on.
    It's a fact - we move on when we're not having fun, and with respect to MMO's, each time, I've either joined friends who got bored with the previous game, or they joined me. No need to feel guilty, it's the dev's job to entertain us. It's why we pay them.
    If you play a game long enough, eventually you run out of content that interests you, and there is no shame in admitting "game over, I've done everything in this game that interests me". The devs necessarily must create "raid" content, whereby you spend endless hours just to obtain gear necessary to defeat the next raid content. Or better yet, PvP, so that we can pay to be entertained solely by competing against each other, which is easier for the devs than creating new content. With bragging rights for both, of course.
    That doesn't mean you have to continue to pay them if the content doesn't interest you anymore.
    Having said that though, I'm back in EQ2 (and would be back in the original EQ and Anarchy Onlne if I could convince friends to join me). All of which have added new content that didn't exist when I first tried them.
  11. ARCHIVED-Skratttt Guest

ATM biggest issue... Stream of Arrows is a useless line in its current state... and coverage is basically useless exept for few instances....
  12. ARCHIVED-speedycerv Guest

Added 2 more ranger issues, with the NDA lifted, these are going to be HUGE problems in the expansion for gear.
  13. ARCHIVED-Splatty_Spatty Guest

8. Flurry and AE auto attack for Melee classes only- Not Fair To Rangers
    A new problem starting with gear and AA's in general for melee is becoming more unbalenced for rangers. They can flurry and AE attack on mobs that are within melee range, but rangers get no such equal for these skills.

This is a massive problem for us for TSO, Aeralik stated we are some hybrid class, and yes we do use alot of the melee given to us as we stand in the 'sweet spot' - however with the AE auto capability given to the other melee classes, we are pushed right down the parse.
  14. ARCHIVED-speedycerv Guest

I took number 6 out since it seems to have been taken care of. Great job Fyreflyte. Bolded a few important notes on consistant ignores on our skills that are not on hotbars.
  15. ARCHIVED-Guy De Alsace Guest

Only major problem I have is lack of HP.
    Annoying problems are mobs attacking, turning and using CA's while they are supposed to be stunned. Also speed debuffs invariably being removed after the 2nd hit - despite the 5% it states in the CA description.
    Thats a general thing though since it also happens on my Templar where mobs use CA's while stunned or stifled.
    One major issue is chain armour looks suck so much! Get rid of the condom helm - I BEG YOU!
    Still Ranger, since April 05!
    One suggestion - Ranger's who make their own bows should get a bonus! I made my own Di'Zok and reckon I should get a +1% ranged crit chance with it :)
  16. ARCHIVED-Jeckson Guest

I only find itemization issues with the double attack chance procs on certain items as of now. Melee DA gets a higher chance over ranged which I think is unfair, for example the maurader void shard chest piece.
  17. ARCHIVED-OuTTerRange Guest

Enough is enough!....
    I dont know about the rest of you that play this particular class but im sick of assasins having crazy better dps..
    I've heard tales of rangers being uber dpsers back in the day but ppl decided it was too much and we got nerfed to all hell. Now im not saying they should nerf asssasin's because frankly i think nerfing is BS in the first place, BUT as rangers we should be the cream of the crop when it comes to ranged attacks PERIOD.....that doesnt seem to be the case, when u compare their range based attacks with ours not only do they get to pwn on all melee based damage but they also get better ranged attacks. Below are the three ranged attacks asssasins get ad 3
    Ear Shot - 2055 - 3218 reuse 1 min
    Deadly Blast - 692 - 946 and 382 - 636 reuse 20 sec
    Spine Shot - 1861 - 2895 reuse 1 min
    Ok now heres three of the ranged attacks rangers have ad 3
    Amazing Arrow - 1607 - 2471 recast 1 min (MASTERED)
    Vulnerable Arrow 1468 - 2240 recast 1 min
    Rear Shot - 1719 - 2659 recast 1 min
    Those are just sum examples of what rangers get for their primary attacks end game lvl vs assassins.
    I dont care that assassins have ranged attacks but the fact that not only do assassins get ranged attacks that pwn ours but they get high melee attacks aswell. What do we get? Why dont we get melee attacks that just out right own the assassins? I think its time SoE wakes up and gives rangers back the DPS we deserve not only as a predator but as a RANGER. Its only logical and fair we pwn the ranged attack part of the world imo, so i think its time we get our rightful dps back.
  18. ARCHIVED-Jeckson Guest

OuTTerRange wrote:
    Amen brother. Don't forget to compare Assassinate and Sniper Arrow. Assassinate does more damage and takes less than a second to cast, while Sniper Arrow does less damage and has like a 3 second timer while stealthed the whole time and to keep range, which means it can be easily interupted. Assassins always got the love and we have been getting hit by the nerf bat for way too long, and I think it's bs. Fix these grievances you lazy developers!
  19. ARCHIVED-ChodeNode1 Guest

For as much of a pain as Coverage is to use, the damage percentage increase should be MUCH higher than what it is. My opinion: Scrap it and give us a new ability. Do the same with Stream while you're at it.
  20. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Coverage seems to be for special situations or solo use. Unless it goes off in just the right circumstance with the right buffs, it can lower DPS.