Ranger Class Issues

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-speedycerv, Jul 2, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-speedycerv Guest

Actually, I pull agro from any tank that doesn't have a bard, unless they are from my raiding guild. And when we get agro our dps goes down a LOT so i dont see how agro decreasing abilities are any better for rangers than *****. The assassin hate transfer allows the tank to gain more agro, whereas we just have a passive hate decrease, which doesn't do much for me at all.
  2. ARCHIVED-speedycerv Guest

Quoted from Anekuh on another thread here:
    "I'm still upset that I still have to pay more money for arrows than any other class. Why SoE???
    I'm still upset that certain CAs (like repeating arrows) are garbage or simply worthless. Or having Coverage not work half the time even though you have met the requirements. Or having Obfuscation line only work off Stealth or Spy and not Longstab."
    Wish people like this posted on this thread but nevertheless, feeling the need to prove my point that people want changes.
  3. ARCHIVED-dbmoreland Guest

Uryuu@Befallen wrote:
    First off you do NOT have to pay more for arrows than any other class. We have a CA that gives us free arrows that NO other class gets. We pay the SAME for the other arrows (merchant, player-made). What we DO get in return that no one seems to take into consideration is that we pay LESS for poisons AND potions than ANY OTHER CLASS!!! This is HUGE. It more than makes up for any possible additional money that we may pay for our arrows because we use more arrows than other classes.
    Sorry you don't like having ONE CA that is worthless. Many other classes have at least one CA that is also worthless. This is a GENERAL issue NOT a ranger specific one. Coverage is hard to use. It is very situational. But it can be use and used well.
    The bottom line is that compared to the issues that we have had to deal with in the past and the issues that other classes have to deal with today NONE of the issues that you list here are so important that they need immediate attention by SOE. Other overall gameplay issues are FAR more important.
  4. ARCHIVED-Lolianna Guest

I have to agree with Danean. They need to work on tank balance and resists for casters (well, summoners; our warlock and wizzie parse right up there and can beat assassins/ rangers in some cases). Really, our fight is over. Yes, they left a couple things feeling 'undone', but, all in all, we are in a much better place than when RoK was released. (Itemization excluded). Fixing our arrows to match the tiers was a huge deal Uruyuu, where were you when we were fighting for things that really mattered?
    Anyway, if you are having aggro issues try using expert's ignorant bliss; dizzok blissful obscurity; surveil and elude whenever they are up. I will hardly ever pull aggro, and as Danean said, if I do, it's easily given back to the tank. I've also had healers send tells and say, "Ty, I don't know what you are doing, but whatever it is, ty.", as I typically don't need many heals with the right resists, ranged on named with huge AoE's, etc.
    Really, if played to the fullest, Rangers don't have that many issues atm.
  5. ARCHIVED-Starwindz Guest

Danean@Guk wrote:
    And who would use those "sucky" arrows???
    Anekuh's statement holds some truth. I do hate paying for arrows since our "so-called" CA is worthless. Now, unless you have your Myth, you are paying more than others. I should tally up how much I spend per week for arrow alone (I raid @ 4 times a week).
    Regardless, Aeralik has stated before that this will not be "fixed". So, like everyone else, I have to deal with it and pay more than every other class until I get my Mythical.
  6. ARCHIVED-JAFO74 Guest

Uryuu@Befallen wrote:
    Your aggro reducing abilities are between your ears, use that piece of equipment wisely. If your tank doesnt have a bard, than adjust. Aggro control is not all on the tank's shoulders. This is not a class issue. A tank without a bard isnt gonna keep aggro off of a full burn assassin either despite the hate transfer if one of they're aggro glue abilities(reinforcement) isnt running, except maybe a Pally. There is nothing wrong with our aggro control abilities.
    The only issues left for us is, coverage sucks, SOA sucks, arrow cost sucks and itemisation could be a little better, but there is another thread on that somewhere. We are keeping up with our assassin and wizard counterparts for the most part.
    Iago
  7. ARCHIVED-RoXxer Guest

We desperately need changes :(
  8. ARCHIVED-dbmoreland Guest

Starwindz wrote:
    Well I for one use those "sucky" arrows any time I do not need to be doing my absolute best DPS, like when I solo or run CoA. There is very little difference between killing a mob in 18 sec instead of 20.
    The "so-called" arrow CA is NOT worthless. The player-made arrows do about 10% more damage than the CA generated "used" arrows. So you are paying for a 10% increase in damage, NOT for 100% of your damage, which the term "worthless" implies.
    As for the cost, yes we spend more for arrows than other classes do. BUT we spend LESS TOTAL for our arrows + our poisons + our potions + our oilstones than other classes spend on arrows + poisons + potions + oilstones. Look at the TOTAL cost and you will see that we are fine compared with other classes.
  9. ARCHIVED-dbmoreland Guest

Meerah@Permafrost wrote:
    Posting several times in several places giving my suggestions for fixing this issue. I also posted my disapointment with SOEs solution because it implied that rangers had been doing too much damage before RoK.
  10. ARCHIVED-Starwindz Guest

Danean@Guk wrote:
    Hate to say this, but any ranger caught using those "CA" arrows should be shot.
    We are top of the line dps class and we have to show it every raid. I will not ever use those arrows and lose 10% dps period. It would insult the guild as well as me.
    I do not know why you bring poisons in the mix since it really has nothing to do with arrow cost. I know our conservation line gives us 50% more posions, but that is an AA that the devs gave us. Why don't the Devs do the same with arrows (like a 50% reduction or something?).
    I just think it sucks that all rangers will have to get their Myths so that they can save on arrow costs. Not every ranger raids.
  11. ARCHIVED-dbmoreland Guest

Starwindz wrote:
    Well when I solo there is no one there to "shoot" me so I don't have to worry then. And in a CoA run where we are killing the mobs in 20 seconds I don't see why I need to use a different arrow in order to kill them in 18.
    Now in a raid I do show top DPS, every single time. But then in a raid I am using the best "expert" poisons and the best of every single other consumable as well. And the TOTAL cost for all of my consumables that I need in order to do my absolute top DPS is LESS than the TOTAL cost for all of the consumables for other scouts to do their top DPS. My arrows are more, but my other expenses are less and therefore as a class I do NOT spend more for my TOTAL dps than other scouts do.
    At the end of the day it is the TOTAL bill that matters.
    And you are correct, not every ranger raids. For those rangers that do not raid (90% of the total rangers out there btw), they do NOT need to use the best arrows every single fight, any more than they need to use the very best of every single consumable every single fight.
  12. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

My only "real" issue with the class, is neurotoxic coating doesnt work on ranged. Having an AE to ranged auto attack would be nice. Having coverage work at 2m or so would be nice. Having ranged auto attack base itself on your range rather than the art used (macro'ing can mess auto attack) And even then, these are "tweaks" nothing game breaking or class defining you can get over any of these issues.
  13. ARCHIVED-Lolianna Guest

Yeah, I fixed that Dan. I don't know why I put your name in there; that was a typo. I know you have been their fighting all along. :)
  14. ARCHIVED-speedycerv Guest

Mortred@Befallen wrote:
    I thought Neurotoxic worked if u got hit, no matter if it's by an aoe or what?
    Not sure what u mean by adding an ae to ranged auto attack, do u mean like the melee aa down the sta line where u attack multiple people in one swing?
    Agree with coverage of course.
    What do you mean by having ranged auto attack be based on your range rather than the art used? If a CA is being used, it isn't auto attack. The damage for the mythical is based on range already.
  15. ARCHIVED-Kiara Guest

Stickied for you so it'll be easier to keep updated.
  16. ARCHIVED-silversurfer1214 Guest

This game has been out for what, almost 4 years now? Get every tradeskiller up to 80, saves alot of plat making everything yourself.
    1. Itemization is the only real issue left to fix for rangers.
    2. Used arrows, repeating arrows, trap are for soloers in non raiding guilds.
    3. LISTENING to other rangers for advice is best way to improve dps. You don't ask a poor man how to be rich.
    4. everything else is moot since we got some good upgrades when GU44 came out. They will not make more for a long time.
  17. ARCHIVED-Starwindz Guest

Kiara wrote:
    LOL. Why? Aeralik has pretty much stated that rangers are fixed (Happened a couple game updates ago.)
    Guess I'll post a wish list since all it will ever be is wishful thinking. :)
  18. ARCHIVED-Kage848 Guest

Mixer@Butcherblock wrote:
    I have to agree with number 1 here.
    Itemization is by far our biggest problem, and maby our last. My main problem with my ranger is my str. I have a boat looad of gear with ranger crit and ranged double attack with ZERO str.
    My str on my raids is like 750-800. The casters int is 1200 and the other classes that rely on str is like 1k-1200.
    Also im sick of anytime i see an item with melle DA and ranged DA the ranged is always half. I know DA means alot for us cause of our big damage on our bows but i mean DA means alot for melle too. They DW and DA on both swings dont they? I dont know but the str thing is the one that really bothers me.
  19. ARCHIVED-Safana. Guest

Because of dimishing return with 800str you already do 95% of your possible max damage (autoattack and combat arts), just saying...
  20. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

I dont like the itemization - melee get double the double attack/crit bonus than we do when theres no reason to it, when you look at all the class abilities. What I ment by the AE auto attack - is the STA line surrounding attacks. It only works off melee. Same with the debuffing poison, neurotoxic coating (3rd one down, int AA line) The min range on coverage makes it a situational ability only.