Random ideas for multi-tank raiding

Discussion in 'General Fighter Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Ordate, Sep 8, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Ordate Guest

I have somewhat recently returned to EQ2 but I see that this still is a problem. Why bring more then 2-3 tanks etc to a raid? A couple of ideas that could address this but would require a pretty much complete overhaul of the combat system so I know they wont happen but it is just food for thought.

1) Shield wall tactics:
    This idea I saw fairly well executed in dungeons and dragons online when I was piddling around with it. Basic idea is that the "tanks" form a wall with their shields. Placement of tanks and movement cordination become key components. Kicks become devistating attacks.
    Draw backs are that agro management completely changes. As long as the tanks form a wall well and hold it assuming no special ability of the mob, a wizard could nuke his brains out with no worries for agro. Someone that has to backstab, unless otherwise accounted for, would have to be much more concerned. Rework level of current system to this would be massive.

2) Cover my back:
    This idea is kind of a reverse guardian sphere idea. All tanks would "link" together. Most damage would go to MT smaller percentage goes to other tanks. Amount reduced to MT reduced by number of 2nd tanks you have. Example: Linking allows each tank to steal 6% of the MT damage up to say 40%. 10k hit comes in to the MT. with 4 other tanks in raid. MT takes a hit of 7.6k while each of the 4 tanks take 600 damage. To a lesser scale this already is in place with intercepts. But would be constant damage intercepts. All tanks would "share" in tanking and more tanks results in greater benefit to the MT.
    Drawbacks, single target damage on raid mobs would have to be increased. More so where an encounters difficulty is derived from spike damage. Depending on amount of damage secondary tanks receive AEs could be problematic much like guardian sphere can be currently. Healing could possibly change significantly depending on percentages. While "needed" secondary tanks could still probably feel less then important. Also split tanking becomes more difficult to define an advantage.

Gotta run for now.