Raids: Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Nazy, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

[laugh] well yes, of unfairest. in eqii, loot managed settings don't have option of an plain lot (random, independent allocation) - the only fair option (it has been for thousands of years). therefore, it would be great slyness to name available distribution system is fair
    Nazy likes this.
  2. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

and if such a system would exist in reality and someone lied to hide his luck, then in any case, he would hide it only from participants, but not from those who can read the logs. so that deceiver could be banned for lying and his own stupidity. and that would be fair. besides, he would no longer be invited to join company..
    it's another matter if text of communication between participants is confidential (i don't know this - can they read what we write to each other).. this complicates situation if it's need to find out whether person who received specific drop lied
    Nazy likes this.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I don't think it's reasonable to expect EQ2 to have an internal raid loot distribution setting. EQ2 did implement a method of guild-internal point-keeping in the Guild window, but it's not robust enough and it doesn't work at all for a raid alliance of players from many guilds.And various guilds select differing loot systems that serve the needs of their people.

In a raid, you want to get all your raiders fully equipped at each level of raiding. Sometimes it's important that the tanks get fully kitted out first, and a raid will defer to them on loot. But simple RNG doesn't ensure that your personnel are truly equally equipped. SK List is perfect for this, because as people get certain loot, they stop indicating that it's an upgrade, and those who don't have it have an increasing chance to get whatever it is. And new raiders to your force aren't locked out of loot by older players with weeks' worth of DKP when you're using SK List.

Raid loot systems often also serve more purposes than simply distributing loot. DKP systems can be used to reward performance (such as a first-time kill) and to discourage bad behaviors (like failing to show up on time for raid or missing raid with no communication). Even a SK List has a tiny bit of this, since if you aren't present, your name holds its exact place in the list, but other raid members move around your name instead of you moving up passively.

And then what do you do about rotating personnel? We all usually have bench raiders who fill in if a main raider is ill, on vacation, etc. The various raid loot systems that people use "remember" the less active players in various ways, but there's a lot of subjectivity on what to do with players who may have earned DKP or a SK List position, quit playing for months, then returned to the game.

Anyway, I just don't see EQ2 implementing a useful raid loot tool.
    Nazy likes this.
  4. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

:confused::confused:
    Nazy likes this.
  5. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

in short, fair separation of loot in eqii is possible if those with whom you are together are your trusted acquaintances (i.e., true friends). and this, it seems to me, is massive handbrake to attract many responsible players to this game. while many play with those whom they don't know at all. for example, if I was focused on an interest exclusively in raids, i would have passed by this game, considering only how distribution of catch in raid are organized here. but like many, i don't insist on bound receipt of something. i just keep company for general pleasure of those who take part and ignoring possible intrigues of those who of some "cunning" way gets what he wanted using others to his (her) "advantage" through fellows ignorance. and by way, this is one of likely reasons why some people as if by necessity like (if they have technical facilities) to simultaneously introduce into game whole raid of their own toons with prescribed macros. so don't disapprove of boxers, including because they thus compensate for unfair distribution of loot in group or raid, among their other motives