Raids and spell lag

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Drumstixx, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Atan Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree, based upon prior determination by SoE that procs were indeed causing much of our lag. Adding these junk procs didn't remotely seem like a good idea.

If folks remember, previously they consolidated procs to specific equipment slots to lower the total number that could be in effect for each toon. They've since expanded procs to more and more slots. My suspicion is they've begun to recreate the same problem they went to much effort to solve once before.
  2. Estred Well-Known Member

Combine PoW-Gear/Avatar Procs and CoE-Adornmetns... and you have a muddy soup of 25+ procs per character in a raid making upwards of 600 possible "proc" calculations at any given time at least by flat numerical average. There was a lot imo that TSO/SF did right when it came to gating and consolidation of mechanics while not actually making them obsolete.

Critical Mitigation only got out of hand when it became a gating mechanic and was required, not a luxury like it was in TSO/SF. Sure SF and TSO HM required it but Heroic did not... unlike DoV which required CM in Heroic Zones.

Stat Consolidation was great in SF as we had 4 stats to worry about instead of 5. STR/STA were the "main" stats for tanks but WIS/AGI were axillary stats that offered some boosts if you had them. AGI offered Dodge-Chance and WIS offered more Critical Mitigation beyond your gear. As before CM was not a "must have" for anything but HM-Raids so it wasn't a bad thing, when it inflated in DoV like so many other stats it spiraled out of control forcing players to EM-Raid to run Heroic Drunder for downgrades from raid gear.
  3. Pixilicious Well-Known Member

I agree..
    I was so happy when i got a new computer and i thought i will not lag anymore, and now, my fps is 30+ and internet working fine, and in PoW and HE i get spell lag anywhere from 10-30s sometimes during fights, i press my buttons and nothing happens so disappointing, cant raid like this :(
  4. Atan Well-Known Member

Exactly, then take in to effect PoW encounters that can frequently have 6+ mobs engaged all possible targets for procs.
  5. Glassjaw Active Member

Id be happy with the removal of all damage procs on gear and limit addition gear effects to things like crit bonus procs, potency procs or static stats like addition dps mod etc. If the removal of these damage procs which do little damage means less spell lag and better experience with the game I am all for it.
  6. Atan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure its just damage procs, each swing/event/etc has to be evaluated for each proc chance with the current system. So the CB bonus proc still requires nearly as much cpu as the damage ones.
  7. Glassjaw Active Member

The damage procs would require more since a majority of them are damage over time and Id hate to see the removal of procs in general because it's often the crit bonus proc that makes the item worth having.
  8. Ixian Active Member

What made me laugh was them mostly doing away with procs at the beginning of DoV, but keeping those crappy damage procs on BPs. Gee, thanks I guess?

Really wish they would've developed new class-specific focus effects each tier to help liven up the gear but I guess all of that stuff was going into AAs and now prestige, plus the original focus effects were too good to give up.
  9. Davngr Well-Known Member

there still needs to be some sort of luck factor but instead of making several procs, proc several times a minute maybe make it one proc or two that last for 5 to ten minutes. the luck factor is still there and for the 5 minutes that you have the buff on you the client/engine/whatever lags everyone out does not have to worry about calculating a proc for that player.

other zones aren't so bad so i'm pretty sure there's something shady going on with pow.. there has to be some exploit going on in that zone that has several instances open at all times or somthing.
  10. Atan Well-Known Member

I think if they're serious about it, and it is indeed procs again, we would see something like a global proc rate.

In this way each hit/swing/etc is evaluated a single time against the global proc chance. If true, then a proc from an array of those available (perhaps including the timestamp of last proc) is evaluated and the proc effect put in place.

My understanding of the proc issue the last time this came up is with each swing/hit/etc sometimes 25+ different 'chance' calculations were done as each proc was evaluated separately.

If each proc you add on just increases the global proc chance by some degree, and the 2.2/min instead is a rating that seeds the priority of the proc from the available array, I could see a system like that being close to as effective as what we have and at the same time reduce the per swing calculations being done.

But thats just my armchair developer talking.
  11. Jezes Active Member

Is there any word on this? It just keeps getting worse. Basically unplayable. Would be nice to know if there's an eta.
  12. Buffrat Well-Known Member

I lol'd when it took me 14-16 seconds to cast my blue aoe on melanie everling tonight.
  13. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Maybe we could take away all those itchy procs, maybe we should cast slower or hit at a slower rate, maybe we should only go with 12 peeps in raids, maybe we should only gets encounter around 2-3.... or Maybe, SoE should came up with a real solution on how to keep the performance up on a good level :D:eek:
  14. Atan Well-Known Member

Maybe, but the fact they are seemingly unaware of the performance issue until threads like this should tell you exactly how well they monitor performance and how seriously they take this issue. To me it speaks volumes to me when you see what things a technology provider doesn't proactively monitor but instead react to.
    Kalderon likes this.
  15. Primaeval Active Member

Very disconcerting that there was no mention of this in the Producer's Letter. I'd trade all this new content for content that actually functioned well enough to play without feeling like you want to punch yourself in the face.
    Kraeref and Buffrat like this.
  16. Buffrat Well-Known Member

So much this.
  17. Davngr Well-Known Member

there is spell lag on CB but not as much as on AB i guess cos the stuff you guise are describing is terribad GUK like lag, era TSO palace raid.. press 4 buttons, wait.. wait... wait.. did i win?

i think it's the number of instances open for a certain zone.

would it be possible or better yet beneficial, if there was a "raid server" created? ie. all the raid instances could be in that server and thus would not have to deal with heroic instance lag or whatever else might interfere with what in reality aside from BG's is the funnest aspect of this game, raiding.
  18. Dinwiz Active Member

someone need to form a pur during next soe live and show them how bad and annoying lag can be :mad:
  19. Bolbir Active Member

Its getting worse and ST-Unearthed is probably the worst place, atleast for us.
  20. Primaeval Active Member

Yeah, when I bumped this yesterday, we were on Amalgamon HM and had a few wipes before killing it due to severe lag spikes during cures or class adds. It's way more frustrating to wipe or struggle or under-perform your capability due to lag than someone just messing up, because in the later case, you can address the problem. What we're all experiencing in certain (most?) raids is completely out of our hands to address.