Raiding healers

Discussion in 'General Priest Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Romulous, Dec 7, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Romulous Guest

My wife and I have returned to the game. We tried out the EQ2 Extended server last week to get a feel for it.
    She has made some friends there, and has no intention of resubbing our old accounts. We will stay on Freeport. I don't think Nektolous or whatever it was called is even around anymore, so not sure where our old chars sit.
    So my question is this. My wife doesn't mind meandering her way though the game and really doesn't enjoy raiding, but of rme it is one of the most important points of any MMO.
    As the game has changed so much, I am unsure which healer to play. I really am not interested in either of the plate healers. I had an Inquisitor back in the day, and it was a pain to solo up. I think he is still sitting at 50 which at the time was the level cap, and it hurt getting there.
    I am interested in either the Mystic, or the Warden. Either to me sounds fun, as a melee specced healer. Which is more viable for a raid spot though? Have they balanced the classes well enough that either can take a raid spot or is one more apt to groups and the other to raids? I know alot depends on player and gear (and now AA's), but I remember a time when a warden could not get a group if his life depended on it, nor could a mystic. Everyone wanted a Fury or a plate healer, and not really in that order. (I played during Launch and for a few years after [was tough in those days] hehe).
    Just curious as to the state of the game, and what the end game raiding scene was like. By the time I get there it will have probably changed again, but usually long term held views of a class are hard to break, from my observations.
    Hope you all can help.
  2. ARCHIVED-Calain80 Guest

1st to compare the classic Inquisitor to the current Inquisitor does not work. A melee speced Inqisitor is a much much more solo friendly char then a Mystic from my experience! I also created an Inquisitor shortly after lunch and abandoned him at around 30 going to sleep trying to kill a single turtle in Enchanted Lands. I created a new one a few days after EOF was launched and never looked back to play an other class. Also the reverse damage shields were fixed with Sentinels Fate and do actually proc now. Through AA in Inquisitor can buff his melee damage by a huge amount. From the damage possible by a good player I would currently say the order is the following: Fury > Inquisitor >= Warden > Mystic > Templar >> Defiler. Also the Buffs a Inquisitor gives to his group make them an excellent choice for a DPS group in raids. But if you don't want to give it a try I would say a Mystic is in higher demand then a Warden, as they have more buffs for the group and use wards, that today count as the best form of healing. But the Mystic will be the slowest of the three melee clerics to level up.
  3. ARCHIVED-omeekai Guest

People seem to be looking for shamans for groups and raiding the new content. i've not played long enough to know what they were like in SF.
    i'd recommend playing a defiler. mystics are good too but i haven't played one to know how they compare. they are a strong healer for raids but don't expect them to shine on the dps side. defilers can be slow to level but they really rock at the high end and are good solo group healers too.
    luckily i had some help while leveling in a tank/healer duo situation which made it less painful, lol
  4. ARCHIVED-S_M_I_T_E Guest

If your goal is to RAID keep in mind that Inqs as well as furys often get tagged for DPS groups solo healing and are expected to be omniscient and be in the top 3rd of the parse, never let anyone die, and of course no detriment is ever allowed to tick... Often being the only healer in the group... As an Inq you will be under the watchful eye of others and any mistakes are very visible... You've got to be a tough person to take the social drama that likely will follow your wake... Let's face it you won't be overgeared compared to the other people on the raid force you're likely to join so you won't have the crit bonus, potency, and crit chance to cushion your required BPS, buttons per second needed.
    Soloing, small grouping, heroic etc. Inq is a cushy class. Also EQ2 was punishing on the way up when 50 was the cap now adays it's far more friendly to the casual wanderers.
    As far as Mystic vs Defiler I've been coached by individuals who have 90/300 X4 EM of both that Mystic ~ Defiler in heals but Defiler often feels like 1/3 the DPS.
  5. ARCHIVED-luinnil Guest

While I'd hope you find a raid guild that's mature enough to realize healers are not omniscient and not full of yelling, for raid viability my opinion would be..

most wanted least wanted
    Inquisitor -> Mystic -> Defiler -> Fury -> Warden -> Templar

most personal dps least dps
    Mystic -> Fury -> Inquisitor -> Defiler -> Warden -> Templar

(the above dps line is based on parse analysis in my own raid guild and may not reflect highest end or average reality)
    Inquisitors make the best solo healers and are capable of almost always getting all the detriments just like either Druid but offer more group DPS than the Fury. Most raid guilds currently want 4 Inquisitors, 1 for each group.
    Mystics are great DPS and their wards are often necessary for keeping people alive for heavy hitting AEs and stampede / spirit tap are always great. Most raid guilds I think want 2-3 of these, but not as sure here.
  6. ARCHIVED-Arielle Nightshade Guest

Callur@Crushbone wrote:
    Gotta agree with this for what seems to be the Raid Makeup of the Month. Mystic over Defiler and Inquis over Templar for Buffs, as well as DPS. Inquis is also desired for their mythical clickie cure that is always available. They aren't leaving Wardens out like they have the last 3 expansions, but Furies still buff way better than Wardens. Furies buff INT and casting skills so are usually put in the caster groups to solo heal. Wardens do have a couple of decent buffs, but they are single target only, and are not so amazing that you can't do without them.
    What I'm noticing is if all things are equal - this is how a raid leader will choose. More than it has in quite awhile, it depends on the person behind the toon. I have Warden, Defiler, Templar and Fury at 90 - and with the exception of the Templar, haven't been left out when these archetypes are needed. Defiler and Templar aren't optimal, but might still get a spot.
    If you have an Inquis at 50 still, you might want to just level him up, get enough AA to have Battle Cleric and you will not be hurting for DPS the way you were initially (I leveled a Templar pre-AA...I know what you are saying).
    GL with whatever you decide! Welcome back to both of you.
  7. ARCHIVED-luinnil Guest

Since I'm a co-leader of my raid guild now, the line I posted above reflects our general opinion on desirability of healers. We're currently running 4 Inqs, 1 Mystic, 1 Defiler, 1 Fury, 1 Warden and we don't force people to switch classes or roll up other characters, we just shift our makeup as attrition happens and we recruit new.
    I wish Templars and Druids had a little more going for them but I guess time will tell if it rebalances.
  8. ARCHIVED-Romulous Guest

Thank you all for your replies.
    Your input has been invaluable. I realize EQ2 is not the game it once was, especially since the game is now a mature MMO. The leveling path I figured would be easier also (especially for the Inquisitor) as the game has grown and changed over the years. The idea of playing another one just makes me cringe though. Hehe. Im sure if I gave it a chance I would love it as much as I used to, but it's a matter of forcing myself to role one.
    As to having a hard skin thats not a problem. I've played healers as my main in almost every MMO I have ever played. Not usually as one that just watches bars either. Those healers should be shot (imho). I played a cleric in EQ1, and a druid and could keep up a raid group without many problems, but the odd time that there was a wipe, I listened to all the grumbling, and sometimes just plain hostility, and just ignored it. If that Mage was going to AoE everything in sight, and pull the whole room and I couldn't keep everyone alive well to bad for him/her.
    Anyway. Thank-you all again.