racial traits are being revamped

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Dragowulf2, Nov 9, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-TheSpin Guest

Lauraliane wrote:
    The thing that brings this ability back in line with reason, especially from a raiding perspective, is that casting speed has either a cap or diminishing returns and so does haste. The 5% to crit over 30 seconds equals out to 1.5 seconds of crits. While it is certainly very powerful if this 5% means a crit on a big nuke or combat art it isn't very likely to happen. A lot of gear is getting +crit with the expansion so I think when you factor everything else in it evens out pretty well. Also, 5% to crit doesn't actually improve your chance to crit by 5% in every situation. As a melee specced priest with 100% to crit I get non crits on epics and orange mobs more than you would expect.
    I think a lot of people are downplaying the usefulness of a new mitigation debuff, 2.5 second stun, or skill debuff.
  2. ARCHIVED-Kamelkurt Guest

Like a lot of people who have posted before me, I don't think the changes being made to the racial tradition system are completely fair. A lot of people started their characters a long time ago, when race meant practically nothing, and suddenly making a choice made so long ago matter this much, seems unfair.

Other people who don't seem to find it unfair, argue that the "minor boosts" to some races will be insignificant when we reach level 80 and get decent gear, but being a mage, I don't see how that would be. Taking erudites as an example, the permanent +crit and +cast speed buffs, will give a boost which will scale with level, and only the diminishing return on the +cast speed might mean less at level 80. The +crit, on the other hand, will continue to give the same bonus, unless someone reaches 100% crit chance, which I find unlikely.

When thinking of it this way, arguments like: "It's such a small difference that the bonus might be available on a single item" doesn't make it seem more fair to me. After all, the erudite mages will have the opportunity to get the same gear, and will therefore, evenly geared, still be ahead of people playing mage characters with other races.

As mentioned in a previous post, the difference will be even greater at the low levels.

Most people who agree with the racial trait changes tell others to just “suck it up”, but I believe the numbers, as it appears now, are great enough to make everyone starting a new mage character choose either a erudite or a dark elf. That alone, makes me think the difference between the races will be too big.

Instead of the racial trait changes, I suggest making either a pool of abilities to choose from, which is the same to all characters, or maybe leave the racial trait system completely alone, and make class trait skills instead. That way, there would be no imbalance at all between characters of the same class, except for the racial differences, which would remain the same as they are now, where they mean practically nothing.

I would much prefer this solution over a race respect, but I think it is unfair for old players to be penalized this way, because they made the race choice they did.
  3. ARCHIVED-TheSpin Guest

Kamelkurt wrote:
    I just want to clarify one thing. Getting a +2% crit doesn't mean that all of your spells or attacks simply have a 2% better chance to crit. They must first score a hit, which is based on the skill associated with that ability. More importantly the mobs level and difficulty is taken into consideration. Melee inquisitors and mystics can get 100% to crit but that doesn't mean they crit 100% of the time.
  4. ARCHIVED-Kamelkurt Guest

TheSpin wrote:
    I'm not sure how you think that will even make a difference. If 2 people each take the same number of swings, and have the same chance to hit (same offensive skills), they will each hit the same number of times. Therefore, the percentage of damage gained from higher crit chance will be the same, no matter how few/many hits they each get in.

Anyway, my point was that the difference won't be smaller with level, and that still seems to be the case.
  5. ARCHIVED-Zarafein Guest

TheSpin wrote:
    They were nerfed as well, doubled recast but only damage increased and the aoes while the damage is good now lacks because their are very few encounters(almost none overland) in RoK.
  6. ARCHIVED-AbsentmindedMage Guest

If they are going to make such large sweeping changes to the racial abilities then they DO need to allow for racial respecs. We can change the appearance of our character easily. So, they could allow us a single racial respec.
  7. ARCHIVED-Gladiia Guest

AbsentmindedMage wrote:
    It was already stated by a red that a racial respec was not possible.
  8. ARCHIVED-Igni Guest

Well, this likely won't be read by anyone important, but here goes.

I'm well aware that for technical reasons, I am not able to change my character's race any more than I could change my character's class.

So the race respec is thrown out the window.

But what about a work-around? I seem to recall an idea tossed about by the SWG devs in regards to bringing back racial differences, that a player would be able to choose a heritage, as opposed to being locked into a set racial path.

For example, if I were a Gnome, I could state that I was simply brought up by Halflings by mistake. Switched basket at birth, all that. Was sufficiently short. Had a less-than-bulbous nose. Whatever.

The idea would be that you simply give any race access to the racial line that they want. Don't have to change the character's race, just have to change the racial trait progression to be like the general trait progression - everyone has access to it based upon their level, screw the 'if Iksar, then' line of code.
  9. ARCHIVED-acctlc Guest

For the most part I like the new racial abilities. For the folks that are complaining about 2% here or there, missing their tradeskill bonus, and not getting increased poison triggers ect...just stop. You really are complaining about something fairly insignificant. So it takes you .001 % longer to craft, or takes you 10 secs longer to get from point A to B. You run through poison too fast? Apply another..it's money sure..so you have to farm an extra 10 mins to make the difference. It's really not the end of the game.

Now the DE and Arasai self buffs are pushing it. They got an ability that is better than many AA end line bubbles. And they got a buff that is worth casting ALWAYS whereas everyone else got some measly nuke that tbh is not worth the casting time for most classes. Change this or incur my wrath :)
  10. ARCHIVED-Zhern Guest

This post makes me laugh. If it was up to me (which it isn’t). I would have made it so that some races couldn’t be certain classes period.

Fae Guardian/Berserker-Never.

Troll Wizard-never.
  11. ARCHIVED-AbsentmindedMage Guest

Igni wrote:
    I call BS about them not being able to change character race. As they have said numerous times this is their world and they can do what they want within it. They could code it in to allow racial changes just like they coded it in to allow us to change character appearance. As for class changes, they coded that in too. You can change your class by betraying and it use to be that everyone started out in one of the 4 major classes then proceeded into specifics. Overall, if they WANTED to allow people to change race then they could find a way to do it. Simply put they must not think it necessary even though their customers wish it.

Anyway, I like your idea about heritage but I doubt if my human was brought up by Fae that he would simply glide out of Kelethin if he jumped. Some attributes are based on anatomy(e.g. Fae wings) and not merely cultural (e.g. gnome tinkering).
  12. ARCHIVED-LaurnaRose Fauldorn Guest

Igni wrote:
    I do like this idea. It would solve a lot of belly aching.
    I have to say that my platform for race changes is very selfish lol. I am a Erudite Warden. Fine, good, dont see too many of them around, whatever. However, that character is my main. She is also the VERY FIRST character I ever made and of course, the only lvl 70 I have. Well, though I love her to pieces and would never think to delete her, I would change her race in a heart beat. The whole "YOU ARE ETERNALLY BALD!!!" thing is getting very old. If illusions (petrified eyes) worked properly, I wouldnt be so irritated. However, the only race I can use a petrified eye for and obtain hair is Kerra ... duh. I love the eyes and it just stinks that my favorite character cannot use them unless I want to walk around looking at a bald female [insert race here]. That and I hate helms ... telling me to wear a helmet on my head is not a solution ... its concealer. I dont want concealer. I either want to be allowed to change my race or I want them to fix illusions RIGHT!!!
    I know, I went off topic. Sorry ... got carried away. Continue on, nothing to see here ....
  13. ARCHIVED-Dragowulf2 Guest

A couple hours ago the dev Srukin explained to me on the beta server why Frogloks, Kerra, and Sarnak their jump ability removed. Frogloks got it removed because people kept dying, and Kerra/Sarnak got it removed because Frogloks were complaining.

So. That is why.
  14. ARCHIVED-Zakane Guest

Zabjade wrote:
    Agree! xP
  15. ARCHIVED-TheSpin Guest

Dragowulf2 wrote:
    What made this ability deadly for frogloks to have?
  16. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

LOL They probably thought that Superjump=safe landing. If you don't have safe fall you have to watch where you land!
    For those who whined: LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP! ;)
  17. ARCHIVED-Amphibia Guest

TheSpin wrote:
    Thanks Dragowulf, for checking this for us.

This really doesn't make any sense, though. People were dying because frogloks jumped? How is that possible? Oh well. I hope this is just temporary and that we can get the ability back at some later date when they've had more time to work on it....

The ability it was replaced with was really bad, too. A 3 min duration wisdom + slightly increased out of combat power regen. An aweful replacement, I know I for one will not bother even having that on my hotbar. So disappointing, again... really hope this is just a temporary soltion.
  18. ARCHIVED-Dragowulf2 Guest

Amphibia wrote:
    Well I do know that he meant that Frogloks kept dying, but I'm not sure exactly how. He said the Frogloks kept dying from that super jump in indoor zones, etc. so they took it out. People probably thought they were godly so they used it at massive heights.

They are probably going to bring it back sometime in the future but /feedback it till then.
  19. ARCHIVED-littlegoblin Guest

I don't understand how anyone could NOT want a racial revamp it's insane. 95% of all the activated racials are completely useless in this game. If that doesn't call for a revamp I don't know what does. Even if the revamp added nothing and just got rid of all the completely useless racials I would be happy. So many useless abilities make the game look less solid and poorly planned out. In other words it's sloppy.
  20. ARCHIVED-Kallirye Guest

I'm not happy about my Dark Elf losing her ability to Hide in Shadows. It was a fun racial ability to use as a Paladin which really made her unique frequently surprised other players when she disappeared like a Scout (although she couldn't move). Thanks SOE for making my Dark Elf Paladin more generic.