r_flora_displacement Command (and other deprecated options)

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Araxes, Jul 17, 2022.

1. Araxes Active Member

Hi. This is probably a developer question but I thought perhaps someone here might know.

At the time of launch for for several years after, there was an in-game option for Flora Displacement. This caused the flora to wave as your character wandered through them. I am guessing the option was removed for reasons of performance. Flora was a known memory and performance hog for many years.

However, now with the 64-but update being able to take full use of 16GB RAM and beyond, and modern processors, I am wondering if this setting works.

So far I have tried to following permutations and none produce any result:
    /r_flora_displacement 0 (or 1, and I even tried 2)
    /r_flora_displacement ON (and OFF)
    /r_flora_displacement TRUE (and FALSE)

/r_flora_displacement (without any numerical variable, in the event this command was the toggle itself.)

As I mentioned none of the above resulted in flora being displaced as the PC moves among it.

I ask this because I like to use the following commands to make Flora look lush and fully cover the ground. (It also affects things like pebbles on the beaches, etc.)
    /r_flora_density_scale 2
    /r_flora_density_raidus 2 (*this is can also be left at a default of 1 / unchanged; it's highly dependent on your processor and can produce strange pop-up effects in dense areas like Nektulos Forest.)

So I would also like to have displacement; if in fact that even still exists in the engine; I do not know the variable, though, if any.

On a side note: another option (which IS still in the game UI options) is for Water Interaction -- also at launch and for some years after, when you swam through the water or walked through the water, you would get waves fanning out aside and behind you (like an actual swimmer would) and you would get splash particles when stomping through shallow pools or rivers. NEITHER of these appear to actually work, regardless of setting.

Lastly, also around launch, the game would cast shadows based on PC torches. I see an option for Secondary Torch light; it appears not to cast shadows on environmental objects, however (a player shadow or a lamp-post as you move by.) Nor does the regular Player Torch when turned on. These were also features at launch and I assumed were removed for CPU performance reasons along with CPU shadows. There were nice immersive touches; it would be great to have them back. Same question: is the command to manuall toggle them, hidden away? (I see one /r_max_torches -- presumably up to 6 as I think that was the original cap -- but haven't tried it.

Can anyone confirm (again, probably a developer question) why/when these features were removed and if there is still a way to enable them via command (and what, if any, are the variables?)
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  2. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hey Araxes, hope this doesn't come too late, but I'm super glad to share this info with you: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/ambient-occlusion-on-mouse-over.605542/

Ideally this will also get rid of the reflection flickering on water, should all be related to the same issue.

In other words,

water, shadows and the strange lighting issues are getting fixed this year, starting with the new expansion pack that is coming out. :) That said, I remember that nice flora effect that you mention, which got removed at around the same time that the water and shadows went bad, IIRC. Feel free to share that input with us in the bug forum, or even contact our hamster dev directly via the forum. Now is our chance.

Cheers
    Araxes likes this.
  3. Dude Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you. :)