Quick and Dirty Spiral Staircases

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Jazabelle, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

All right, so that I don't have to write an entirely new tutorial (I'll get around to it one day, I swear!), here's how to do spiral staircases, based off of my "straight staircase" tutorial for non-layout editor users.

Read the straight staircase tutorial first, and watch the video at the end.

Now watch these videos (sped up to anywhere from x4 to x16. I'm not THAT good):

And if you make any errors in your staircase...

2. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

I just have to laugh because that's almost exactly how I used to make my stairs. If the item I was using had a pattern or design on it, I would use that pattern to help line up exactly where I wanted them to go. To raise them up, I would count how many clicks my little mouse wheel made because I did them this way before in-game controls were introduced.

This is actually a great way to make stairs if you don't use the editor. It's how I made these stairs.

[IMG]

And then, while Tock was running around the house with me, he told me I'd made excellent use of the spiral tool. These two spirals had been married perfectly. My response was, "There's a spiral tool?"
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Oy! I can do straight staircases 'til my hands shake and my eyes bug out (and have since before I even knew about the Notepad Method), but spirals always defeated me...doesn't help that my first attempt was with using Misty Fog Tiles; maybe I'll redo it with Tiles I can SEE and then plop the Misties on top, then remove the "visible" ones. :D

Uwk
    Jazabelle likes this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

The problem I'm having with the example I mentioned is that I want to center the stairs around a really thick Blue Marble Pillar from Neriak's City Festival, and it's in a really tight corner, surrounded by a ton of other stuff--hmm. Maybe I'd better stop with the description before people start looking at me askance...

At any rate, it's at Abrahm's "Tanks for the Memories" on Test; still Published, last I knew, but probably not back in the Hall of Fame again yet (or maybe ever, if folks don't like what I did with the flooring in the first tank now :-/) if you want to check it out, cluck your tongue at it (which I would totally understand), and suggest that I put everything in the Moving Crate except for those pieces and start all over again (okay, that I might get the heebie-jeebies about...). :-/

Uwk