Question

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Celestia, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Celestia Well-Known Member

Are there any videos out there that show how exactly to build a house from the ground up? I love decorating, but I've never been able to figure out how people do this. For example, houses built on the Ten. island, or the storm island, etc. I've even seen like a lodge in the snowy dwelling. How exactly do you start such a project?

The biggest thing I "built" was a four wall green house. lol
    Spextasy and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Aabari Active Member

I start with foundation then the walls then the 2nd floor if i do one throw on a roof and bam ....house i dont know of any specific videos that show you how but you can find me in game on Maj Dul and id be glad to show you how i do mine
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Celestia Well-Known Member

That would be great!
  4. Celestia Well-Known Member

Nevermind, I found a video - Febrith made a lovely replica of the Twilight house, and I took some how tos from that. Thank you though!
  5. elflover Well-Known Member

Most just start playing with the tiles/building blocks and see what we can do, then it turns into something cool. Sometimes its just watching videos or going into other homes and examining what they used to build with.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Geroblue like this.
  6. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

There are a couple of videographers that have videos building houses from start to finish. One is Kianne of Troi's Gaming channel and one is Shanette (Amy Jo Cottrill). EQ2 Building Inspector (me) is subscribed to both their channels. Click on their names which will link you to the channels. I am not sure where on the channels are these videos but I do know they did post info about it on this forum. There are lots of videos out there (I have a few plus Jazabelle Wra'Eth and JesDyr and I am sure others) and other resources about using Layout Editor and editing layout file with notepad. If you go to the stickied thread called "The Decorator's Resource (Guides and Links)" second post there are links. That thread doesn't show it is being updated but I assure you I update the first post all the time.
  7. Celestia Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I appreciate the links very much :)
  8. Celestia Well-Known Member

Okay, so how do you put those merry frostfell windows into a house? I know they have to be on a wall, but I don't want them on a brown wall with brown wood behind it. A friend tried explaining that it has to be on a wall, but I'm just not seeing how to do it.
  9. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

There are walls/dividers that are windowed. Some horizontal, others vertical. A quick search on the broker for "divi wind" will pull up all that are currently up for sale. Once you have placed the divider where you want it, you will want a temp wall behind it so that you can position it properly into the empty window space.
  10. Celestia Well-Known Member

THANK YOU, was bugging me, lol.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Tasnee, for a temp wall, I highly recommend getting one of the Polished Ice Narrow or Tall Dividers (the Narrow ones fit better in many areas) or the equivalent Narrow or Tall Divider of Ice from the Marketplace, as well as a Stair and a Tile for other uses. Those have got to be the greatest gods-sends to decorators since they appeared, since you can see through them!! :D

And at least they're cheap on the Marketplace. ;->

You can also get the Polished Ice ones for free (well, in-game City Tokens) in the first week of December, when the New Halas City Festival comes around again. :)

There are also lots of windowed walls and dividers that you can make, even if you're not a very high level Carpenter (or any at all; even Tier 1 recipe books have something along those lines these days, if memory serves, and I think they're all in the holiday recipe books these days). :)

And for layout editors, there's also Sennen's OpenSource one; I actually prefer that over JesDyr's for the most part, it's got a better learning curve imho, but it doesn't have all of Jes's bells and whistles.

Uwk
    Hartsmith likes this.
  12. Celestia Well-Known Member

Thanks! I already published the one, but it was a little house thing so I’m not too worried. Also awesome about the see through ice stuff, gotta remember that for the next one. I have a 120 carpenter, I admit I cheated and boosted her to 110 but I was excited to get back in the crafting world. And I will definitely check out what editor I want, you guys are super helpful. I appreciate it.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's like 3 "editors," if you count Notepad. ;->

Uwk
    who'd "cheated" all over the place in Public Test (and then had to scramble to get all the missing books in between... ;->)
  14. Celestia Well-Known Member

lol I pretty much cheated on every class but my sage, who’s Tasnee, my main. I’ve been looking up all the carpenter books on the wiki.