Question to Raiding Necros on Lifeburn

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Bouncing Skull, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Erszebeth Active Member

My sexiest memories on my necro are the ever rare but truly delish 4 and 5 back to back lifeburns. Healers hate it tho lol.
  2. Menelag New Member

Lifeburn is the best damage return for time spent casting a spell that necros have, especially if you have 25 increments of Necrotic Lifeforce up, and even better if you have other HP buffs and such. Not casting it will significantly diminish your dps potential and might get you kicked off the raid force, or at least a good lecture about how awesome it is. Our MT is a monk who has no problem holding aggro even off the highest dps so here's how I usually open a battle. Mortality Mark (reduces max HP of the mob), Lifeburn immediately followed by Consumption, Soulburn, Lifetap, Arcane Bewilderment, Elemental Toxicity, Soulrot, Heal Pet, Transfer Life on myself, Vampire Bats, Bloodcoil, Soulrot, Lifetap, etc etc. I use almost every damage spell I have, but Lifetap, Soulrot, Bloodcoil, and Soulburn take priority over all others. I keep Mortality mark up on the mob at all times since 2.2% HP on a lvl 103 X4 can be MILLIONS of Hp. In most cases I just heal myself through Lifeburn with well timed DoTs thrown between the Lifetaps/Heals. In short, as someone stated earlier, If you are NOT using Lifetap, you are not using the class to its best ability.
  3. Carthington Member

Not to resurrect a thread here, grant it just over a month old, but Just for the record, the amount of ticks on Lifeburn is not affected by UT. You get 10 hits per cast and that's it. Also, there are other multipliers that seem to factor in. The other night on an avatar I did over 890k per ticket on 150k hitpoints. Going by 4 points per HP, that should only equate to 600k.. so where is the other 290k coming from?
  4. Koleg Active Member

Ability Mod, Temp HP buffs, Crit Bonus, other Stat buffs from group or raid...
  5. Morphius Member

Lifeburn is a Necromancer's most powerful tool. Now imagine casting Lifeburn 2 to 4 times (AA Prestige - Burning Life) in a 4 minute fight; No other class in your raid will be able to touch your dps (provided you do everything else correctly). Also, send a friendly tell to your mystic as well for a health boost (bolster) as you start your lifeburn cast. STA/Health is your best friend as far as Lifeburn goes.
  6. VeilShard Active Member

I was hoping someone could give me some instruction on how to properly use lifeburn at low levels, I am mid 80's and haven't been successful keeping myself alive while using it, just go down too fast, is there a "best" cast order to use it properly? I've tried a few things but am getting a little frustrated, thanks in advance.
  7. Mae- Well-Known Member

Its usually best when you have a healer (not a merc...) with you, but if you don't, it CAN be used on a mob you either have rooted out of range or that doesn't hit hard, otherwise its damage on top of the dmg LB does will surely kill you. Its not really a tool to be used solo.
  8. Bloodlich Member

I'd work on timing your lifetap, transfer life (to yourself), and transference spells so you can keep yourself up. Additionally, you'll want to cast consumption just before you lifeburn so you can a little extra healing from your pet. If you have the room and are certain that you won't get adds you can also try to cast your aoe lifetap as well.