Question to Raiding Necros on Lifeburn

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Bouncing Skull, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Bouncing Skull Active Member

Simple really... is it really even worth using? It seems to me that if you are not set up with the perfect support, then its not really worth using. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am considering doing some testing with it, but I am sure there are others who already have. Thank you in advance for your feedback.
  2. Thalador Active Member

On my necro it is very much worth using if the group setup and communication is there. I usually call our "lifeburn in 5". At that point I get bolstered as well as Animal form from the fury. Doing a LB with over 110k health is very nice indeed
  3. Bouncing Skull Active Member

That is pretty much what I expected to hear. It seems that some necros just have to lifeburn every time its up and it seems more of a detriment to the raid than a boon. If you are not in the proper setup to obtain max lifeburn, like the ones mentioned here, then really its not worth the trouble it makes for everyone else. IE, making the inquisitor who is solo healing the group stop DPSing to heal for a lifeburn doesn't seem worth it. Even more so when you have an Inquisitor who is pumping out about 250k+. The math trade off doesn't add up.
  4. Erszebeth Active Member

Lifeburn is almost always worth using, if your so concerned about making the priest heal you then get a click to cast group window and put your heals on it, so you can self heal through your lifeburn, problem solved. Altho....being worried that your going to make your priest *gasp* heal, so you can throw off a 1-2 mil <lower end> DoT, theres something wrong there.
    Ragna likes this.
  5. Mae- Well-Known Member

My Inq asked me to send them a tell so they could put some specific heal on me through it (I know nothing of Inq's so I have no idea what it was she was talking about). It works out fantastic and she doesn't miss a beat on her own dps. Also, in general, I can heal myself through it with the help of Inq's normal heal procs while dpsing. If I'm getting bolster, i usually get it often enough to have it up 80%+ of the time, so I don't even have to wait for it. Yes, LB is worth it, even if you aren't getting bolster or AF.
  6. tbone88888 New Member

If youre arent lifeburning, youre arent doing your job (dps). I can completely heal myself all the way thru lifeburn w/out a problem, but i prefer a healer to do it so i can cast dmg spells. W/out a healer its lifeburn >lifetap>transfer life (macro'd to myself)>lifetap>animists transference, etc.
  7. Buffrat Well-Known Member

I just pop Consumption and my pet heals me through it without the healer ever having to cast anything...

If I actually go into yellow/orange hp lifetap takes me back to full.
  8. Erszebeth Active Member

survey says....
    Yes, Lifeburn is worth it.
  9. Malleria Well-Known Member

Would guess it's Divine Guidance for the 30% hp boost.

As long as I get some kind of notice, a tell, in group w/e, I don't mind healing a lifeburning necro. It's the ones that do it silently that annoy healers.
  10. Bouncing Skull Active Member

Thank you for the facts. Thats what I was looking for... not sarcasm. I have not seen the millions of DPS that Ersz is talking about so the trade off did not make sense, hence the reason I came here to ask the people whom I assumed would know. I'm going to try and implement some of the things mentioned here and see how it works out. If lifeburn can be that good, then by all means I want to take advantage of it.
  11. Chronus Active Member

Make sure you macro a warning 5s before it to have either a /g or a /t to the group's healer (for DG or Animal form) and a /t to a mystic if you can pry bolster off the beastlord maybe.
  12. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Yeah. Mine says (short and sweet), "Incoming Lifeburn! Heal me or Rez me; your choice." :D (Although I self-heal as much as possible if I'm not very familiar with the healer in question.)
  13. Tigerr Well-Known Member

Honestly, if you raid and you guys use ventrillo, make a bind key setup with the inquisitor. Even solo healing the group it is not a big deal timing it with the necro for that extra dps. Any inquisitor that says its hard and they lose dps is not doing their job and should be replaced. Communicate with the inquisitor, they shouldn't have an issue coordinating with you on the DG. Also, majority of the mage solo healers will have Storm Essence on so, 12% more health from that as well.
  14. Ragna Well-Known Member

Obviously it's not millions of DPS but in raids, unless grossly undergeared, any 95 necro with a pulse will do more than 1 million dmg per lifeburn without any specific buff. So yes, casting LB is well worth it even if you have to heal yourself through it.

That said, the "special care" (for ex. Bolster from another group) might be useless - or even detrimental - for your overall raid DPS. It's realy a case-by-case thing. If your necro is one of your top parser, Bolster/other buffs will help beyond the extra HP/potency for LB, so why not. OTOH if the necro struggle to get into the top6 DPS of your raid, these buffs would be better on someone else..
  15. Erszebeth Active Member

If you have decent gear, you should be getting 1-2 mil off a lifeburn even solo, and self healing; the millions of DPS isn't a per tic thing, its cumulative damage from it.
  16. Estred Well-Known Member

I may not be a necro but every one I group/raid with uses Lifeburn. You have to time it though, using it prior to a heavy DoT coming in... may not be the best idea. They also usually have macros to /groupsay and if they rip aggro on tanks they also have a /raidsay to warn both group healers and raid-tanks that the incoming spike to life and damage is inc.
  17. Koleg Active Member

In part the group and raid spam leads to ppl thinking necro's are needy and inept. Don't spam it, but if you must then please manage it. Tells are better than /G or /R to communicate with a healer. Necro's can easily heal thru their own LBs even while tanking solo trash, its a class knowledge thing. There are direct heals, there are pet siphions, there are pet reactives, there are lifetaps. Choose the ones which you'd be casing anyway for DPS like Lifetap, BloodCloud and Consumption.

LifeBurn takes the Necro's current raw Health and uses an x4 multiplier per tick for 10 ticks doing a 20% health siphion per tick. So, two things here. Get your Raw Health up as high as possible using buff from yourself and other group/raid members and use as many temps as possible as well. Then some how, either via self healing or healer healing fix the -100% health siphion to get the full Damage out of all 10 ticks.
  18. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I was going to write a scathing reply about knowing how lifeburn works, but instead, I'll just tell you that my Necro has been my main since 2006 (with no account lapses), and then let you connect the dots. (After all, perhaps someone who is just starting out might benefit from your post - although they might get confused when your post says one thing, but the tooltip says another*.) As far as the "spam" thing is concerned, a macro every 2.5 minutes (sometimes with a longer interval) isn't really spam, but YMMV**.

*Your post says 10 ticks, whereas the tooltip says 10 seconds. The tooltip also says the damage is immediately then per second, not per tick. 1 tick = 6 sec, so 10 ticks = 60 sec, not 10 sec. Thus, the new players may, rightly, become confused.
    **YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary
  19. Erszebeth Active Member

a tick is each time your DoT hits, whether thats every 4 seconds, 3 seconds 10 seconds, or 30 seconds or .5 seconds, doesn't matter, each time that spell hits, is a tick, and if you can get UT from a trouby, you get 12 ticks off Lifeburn over 10 seconds, which plays hell on your self heal timing, but 20% more dps out of it.
  20. Necron New Member

I spam Lifeburn everytime it comes sending direct tells to the Fury, Mystic and healers in my group to ensure all the appropriate buffs as I am Lifeburning. I also spam Lifetap as it gives you a chance to reset Lifeburn via the chosen Prestige AA, Burning Life. Somtimes I can get up to 4 or 5 Lifeburns in one encounter.

So yes, Lifeburn is one of your most important spells you have as it will help you top the parse.