Question RE: Security fob

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Simparri, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Simparri Active Member

I've been using one of the security fobs they sold for over 5 years with no problems. However, I find myself wondering how long the battery will last in it. If the battery goes dead is it one I can take the fob apart & replace once it does go dead?
    Cuelaen likes this.
  2. Cuelaen Well-Known Member

I was wondering this too.
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Personally, I would remove the need for it. I used to use one too and loved the extra security measure but since they cannot be purchased any longer as far as I know, I didn't want to try and log in one day to find out I was locked out because the fob didn't work for whatever reason.
    Xillean, Ceyllynn and Prissetta like this.
  4. Svenone Well-Known Member

I have fobs for EQ2 and Blizzard (Diablo 3), and never use the EQ2 one anymore. The D3 one gets used because I don't have to use it unless I play it using another computer (besides my main computer). Having to enter it everytime along with EQ2s tendency for crashing to desktop makes it too annoying to use for me. And, you know, the fear that it wouldn't work one day... The downside of the D3 one is that, when I do need it, I have to rummage through my just dwarer to find it.
  5. Simparri Active Member

I play on my laptop & keep the fob in a pocket of the case to avoid losing it<grin>. I Do like the system & can see many applications for it for general program/computer security use in general. I've wondered why I haven't seen it in wider usage as it seems so handy. Adding a fingerprint reader would be damned handy for most uses in general for security purposes.

For Svenone I particularly agree with the little statement at the bottom of your sig block, for that matter I don't see Why it would be that difficult to do. Just add a button to the collectable box, click on the item & click the button to release it just like on the depots.
    Prissetta likes this.
  6. Dude Well-Known Member

They are used fairly widely in companies. As for biometrics, finger prints are terrible. You're much better off with an iris scanner. Finger prints can be used when you're dead. When the blood drains out of your irises, they become useless for biometric access.
    Gubba Bump likes this.
  7. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

fingerprint ones also don't work well for those with raynauds, i've had two jobs where i had to type in a code instead.
  8. Juraiya Well-Known Member

Iris scanners don't work for diabetics, because their irises can actually change. Not many people are aware of this, although security experts usually are.
    flameweaver and Ceyllynn like this.
  9. Simparri Active Member

Also iris scanners are larger & more power intensive as well as possibly capable of doing damage to the eye if they're not properly maintained which would be possible in a common use item that is constantly manhandled. Even with their problems print scanners would be a simpler, smaller & economical next step. Both could be made in parallel for the purpose & whichever was best for the individual person or purpose/setup could be used.
  10. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Apple has the option to use a fingerprint verification.
  11. Simparri Active Member

I've had a HP ProBook laptop for over 3 years that has a built-in fingerprint scanner.
  12. Cuelaen Well-Known Member

Has there been any "Official" news, as to when/if they are going to sell new Daybreak FOBs, or put out n authentication app?
  13. Sikkun Member

All my work FOBs have a 5 year “expiration” date, which is when they are expected to die.

As others have stated...RSA tokens are the standard for multi factor indentification in the computer world.
  14. Simparri Active Member

Still there's my basic question, can the batteries in it be replaced & still have it function?
  15. Sikkun Member

In theory...but your going to end up completely destroying the authenticator to tear it apart AND you have to have a way to maintain power while you change the battery so the chip doesn't get out of sync.

But this guy did claim to do it for his WoW one ().

At 5 years I would probably remove the authenticator from my account while it's still working and use a nice strong password...dealing with support to get it removed after it dies could be a pita.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  16. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Would be nice if they could send a code to my mobile like other games manage to do (2-step authentication).
    Simparri, flameweaver and Rosyposy like this.
  17. Simparri Active Member

Yep, I see what you mean. They Seriously didn't want them to be easily disassembled, looks like they used almost as much volume of glue as they had plastic in assembling them.(grin). I learned long ago how to keep a battery circuit powered while switching in a new one but this disassembly would be more work than it's worth. I may have a second one around, when I ordered one they sent me two & I never got around to sending it back, although I'm not sure that the battery's shelf life even when not being used would be worth using.

Rosyposy likes this.