[Question] DirectX 10 Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-ShadowMunkie, Jan 29, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-ShadowMunkie Guest

Does anyone think EQ2 will be getting DX10 compatability anytime soon?
    I've seen a couple games getting graphics updates with DX10 and have seen insane amounts of beautiful graphics from them doing some of the simplest things and was wondering if sony had any plans on doing the same?
  2. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Doubtful, as EQ2 barely uses the GPU as it is. They're supposed to be doing some things to try to improve performance but I doubt you'll see a DX10 overhaul in such an old engine.
  3. ARCHIVED-Cragger Guest

Not possible unless they completely redid the game engine and redesigned it to use hardware functions required for DX10. The game is practically all software emulation driven.
  4. ARCHIVED-shaunfletcher Guest

cue wild exaggerations about the game being software rendered......
    but no, I would also not expect dx10 stuff in the game ever, but who knows?
  5. ARCHIVED-eqaddictedfool Guest

Striothia@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    EQ1 made the change to the DX9 engiene awhile back. Why couldnt the same be done with DX10 or 11
  6. ARCHIVED-shaunfletcher Guest

eqaddictedfool wrote:
    There isnt any real reason they couldnt make eq2 use dx10. It already uses dx9 after all. I just dont think the benefits would be worth it, and this is a playerbase which I dont think it would particularly suit or benefit, in fact I suspect most players wouldnt even be able to use it (xp is the os of choice for eq2 after all)
    Im confused about why most people asking about dx10 support even want it?
  7. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

In order for SoE to consiter upgrading to DX10 they would have to have sugnificant evedance that the majority of thier players accually have DX10, and being that, as another poster said, XP is the OS of choice for EQ2 I doupt even a significant minority of EQ2 players are using DX10, and there for there would be no benifit to upgrading to it.
    Also when EQ1 moved to DX9 was after DX9 had been out for a few years and more or less everyone had upgraded to DX9 compatible systems.
  8. ARCHIVED-Besual Guest

It's simple why there will be no DX10 in the near future: You have to run Vista (or Windows 7 when it will come out). And many people (myself included) are really happy with Windows XP.
  9. ARCHIVED-Nakaru-Nitepaw Guest

I remember when EQ1 made the switch to DX9, and it broke the boat routs. They had to replace them all with teleport gnomes...
  10. ARCHIVED-Kayriie Guest

Eschia@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Does EQI graphics still suck? Hell if I was not such an appearance stricken person I would play EQI. lol
  11. ARCHIVED-Nakaru-Nitepaw Guest

Sevannah@Nagafen wrote:
    The original game content still looks the same, but other newer places tend to be better looking then some of EQ2's stuff (In my opinion). It does lack bloom effects and blending though.
  12. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Mordok@Crushbone wrote:
    Never, without a doubt.