Question about Graphics card upgrade

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Magusfire24, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Magusfire24 New Member

Hello all, I am back after many years away from EQ2. I currently have a Geforce Gtx 970 card in my pc with around 8gb of system ram and decent CPU.

I was looking into getting a new card from Amazon. Geforce GTX 1660 with 8gb ram
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P76G42...olid=35UWAIXSR6STU&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It seems this would be a good upgrade and help me have smoother performance on higher settings in game. What does everyone else think?
  2. Beee Well-Known Member

I dont think there is a huge DirectX 9.0c performance difference between the GTX970 => GTX1660
    The new card will idle with much less powerconsumption ;)

But yes you will see a performace boost for 25% i guess by much less noise
  3. Magusfire24 New Member

Not looking for a huge boost. But for 220$ I think it would be a good buy for me.
  4. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Agree with Beee, about a 25% increase and less power consumption....what cpu are you using?
    Breanna and Beee like this.
  5. Magusfire24 New Member

Intel core i5 6600K CPU at 3.5 GHZ and 8 gb ram

6. Magusfire24 New Member

One thing I never considered is overclocking. The pc came stock from the company I got it from with a watercooled PC. So I bet it would handle the temps fine.
  7. Beee Well-Known Member

watercooled.. nice CPU should be overclockable to 4GHz (+speedstep) without any problems.. EQ2 does not use the full CPU power
  8. Magusfire24 New Member

Yeah got it as a gaming pc a couple years ago, just skimped a bit on the graphics card at the time. Going to remedy that a bit without breaking the bank . :) Thanks for your input.