Question about EQ2 Maps

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Shawson, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Shawson New Member

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum. I have been an EQ2 player since launch, and have changed PCs several times. Never had a problem setting up EQ2Maps/Updater...until now. I have it installed and pointing to the correct directory, and it will run, update, and launch EQ2 just fine. However, I am still not seeing the maps in my UI. I have been through many of the threads about troubleshooting over at EQ2 interface.

-I have made sure it is pointing to the correct directory and it does load maps there
    -All maps are loading into the UI folder as they should
    -The EQ2.ini file is correct
    -I have tried checking/unchecking items in the Options/UI/Maps (advanced) section in EQ2

Still seeing just the old EQ2 maps. None of the EQ2Maps version.

This is driving me batty. Almost makes me think it is something in the EQ2 UI itself, as everything on the backend seems to be doing its job.

Any thoughts? I have spent hours for a couple of days troubleshooting to no avail.

Thanks! And if this should be elsewhere, let me know. I didn't want to use the BUG forum because it's a 3rd party app.
    WhysperWynde and Ra'Gruzgob like this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

In your EQ2 installation folder, you should have a file named eq2.ini -- if it's not there, open Notepad and create it. EQ2Maps should be in its own folder inside the UI folder.

At a minimum, eq2.ini should have:

cl_ui_skinname {name of your EQ2Maps folder}
    cl_ui_subdir UI/

Other helpful commands:

# Sets options to advanced mode by default
    cl_options_advanced 1

# Sets the default Auto Attack bar on/off
    cl_show_autoattack_bar false

# Make mercenary S T F U
    cl_ignore_merc_chatter true

# Stop Intro Movie
    cl_movie_enabled false

When you save the file, make sure it saves as eq2.ini and not eq2.txt or eq2.ini.txt -- you can change the name via Windows Explorer if you need to.

The game has to restart to use the new file.
    WhysperWynde and Ra'Gruzgob like this.
  3. Shawson New Member

Hi,

I have the .ini set correctly. I even deleted it completely and let the EQ2Maps install it for me, and it did not change.

cl_ui_skinname EQ2MAP -- This is the correct folder name
    cl_ui_subdir UI/ -- This is the correct subdirectory where the EQ2MAP folder lives.

At my wits end.

Shawson
    Ra'Gruzgob likes this.
  4. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

hail Shawson! this thing in this times doesn't setting right away.. first delete all previously made changes including files. now assign path and name from archive (unpack content from archive at once into place and don't copy). look - it named as it's named. but you give her your name anyway.. don't know if /loadui will help (i didn't need, to stick it from second time)..(it's just that all other gamers have already installed and therefore didn't answer anything [perhaps they just spit on about you]. and because i deleted this garbage long time ago because it gets me out of it because it loads my proc). and now i checked and put it once again this garbage.. did you understand? this garbage must be installed from archive at once in place and name in lower case..
  5. Ecco-Säuferin Member

By "old EQ2 maps" do you mean the default one?
    Is there any "eq2ui.xml" missing in the "EQ2MAP" folder?
    If not, maybe try to copy the "eq2ui.xml" in the default folder to that your "EQ2MAP"?

-Here are my perceptions-
    This file is the basic one.
    If you try to call it from this file in a custom folder, and it is not in that folder, it will go to the default folder to find it.
    If the base file is not in the custom folder, I imagine that everything is loaded from the default folder from the beginning.
    (It's possible that what used to be ambiguously applied even without it has become strictly applied.)
    Ra'Gruzgob likes this.
  6. Kenn Well-Known Member

Ra'Gruzgob and Sigrdrifa like this.
  7. Grumpy_Warrior It's a KILT, dang it!

Putting the lines in eq2.ini is not enough by itself. When you log in, type /loadui and choose the correct UI from the list. This will add it to eq2_recent.ini which is more important than eq2.ini. You can try it yourself: use /loadui once without anything in eq2.ini and it will load your custom UI from now on.
    Ra'Gruzgob likes this.
  8. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

it's not necessary to use /loadui for this (and there is still no confirmation on installations instruction page that they fixed /loadui - https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/faq.php?faq=howto_install#faq_new_faq_item) - i successfully installed this interface without using this command (but only from second time).. you can directly edit file eq2_recent.ini by adding not far from its cap after line cl_autoplay_world <server name> line cl_ui_skinname <name of interface folder> perhaps i'm wrong, but think it matters how interface folder is named - it's better to do this in lower case (and in US_EN layout) and mayhap there is limit on length of folder name..
    in any case, required line appears automatically in eq2_recent.ini file after required interface is appear in game and works..
    i will also have to edit this interface in order to use it as it's now unacceptably consuming processor resources.
    this almost insensibly if clock speed is higher than 3 ghz and processor doesn't have an integrated video, but if it is 2.7 ghz or lower and processor with integrated video, then operation of this interface only interferes with game.. i left note on eq2interface.com (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=ad4d006246b8704f1b6e9854c2d6f4a8&f=36) but i'm not sure if jnils will ever read this..
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

JNils isn't actively playing EQ2 anymore, I think, but he does check email. Give him a few days to answer.
    Ra'Gruzgob likes this.