Qeynos And Its Soundtrack

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Naey, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Naey New Member

I'm going to preface this by noting that I played beta through RoK on and off. I came back to play the TLE to get a bump of nostalgia and show some important people in my life what I spent nearly every waking hour of 2005-2009(ish). Part of what always impressed me about EQ2 was its soundtrack. Classic had a stunning soundtrack and getting to relive some of that music while (for example) killing goblins in Runnyeye has made this experience all the better.

That being said, and I realize this is perhaps a small gripe, I'm disappointed that Qeynos has a markedly different soundtrack now than it did during classic. I apparently missed a fair amount of that storyline as NPCs are constantly alluding to dragons, the moon, etc... but is there a reason the music isn't what it was? When did this shift happen and is there anywhere in the city to hear the old music again?

Again, I realize this is a small thing but the music of the game was always so important to me. I'd spend hours just sitting in Qeynos or Kelethin listening to the soundtrack and I wish I could do the same again but the new Qeynos music doesn't quite have that same nostalgic appeal.
  2. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I'd love to find the music for the original EQ. I didn't like it as a game, but really liked the music.
    Breanna and Naey like this.
  3. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

The original Qeynos music still plays in Oakmyst Forest. Copy that MP3 into the custom music directory that mimics the file tree for the new Qeynos music. You'll need to copy and rename the file four times I think.

The music for the original EQ is stored in XMI files for each zone. You can use an audio utility to extract them. You might need to download a better MIDI player than modern Windows PCs come with with AWE32 soundfonts installed.
    Rhodris likes this.