PvP Time-Locked Server Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Fleshdecay, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

RoK for sure. TSO is still pushing it a bit imo, from what I can remember.
  2. Fulton Active Member

guess i could see RoK, thats it though, for mythical reasons
  3. Siren Well-Known Member

Most PvP players want a PvP server frozen in time forever BEFORE the things that killed open PvP were introduced (like level locking/shutting off XP, the AA slider, BGs, PvP gear, flying mounts/leapers, etc.)

Introducing these nails in the coffin for open PvP at any time in the future by unlocking expansion content would just kill open PvP once again. We already have Nagafen for that, empty shell that it is.

Please launch this Time-Locked open PvP server frozen in time. I picture it launching with all the classes, 100 levels and zones we have right now in EQ2, but with the aforementioned things that killed off open PvP either permanently disabled or missing altogether.

We PvPers are not looking to unlock expansion by expansion: We are looking to play the version of the game back when open PvP was at its finest and keep it there forevermore. You wore and did everything in Mastercrafted gear that you harvested the parts for out across the landscapes as you quested, killed bosses and PvPed all at the same time. See?

You could not shut off XP/level lock/have a locked twink to grief all the newbies off the server with. You did not have an AA slider.

You did NOT have to bury yourself away in phony, instanced, quasi-PvP BGs to grind endlessly for PvP gear that you could only use in those same BGs, and would be useless out on those landscapes for questing and mobs!!! You did NOT fly away on a flying mount or leap away on a leaper at the first sign of PvP trouble, you freaking turned and fought the PvPers and tried not to let any mobs get the last hit in so you wouldn't have to repair your gear! :p

You did NOT hide away in Guild Halls.

I hope this is making things clearer for you. We are NOT asking for some Ragefire progression server like EQ1 has. That is not what we've been begging for for many years now.
    Raff likes this.
  4. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

Ah so KoS is more your guys' cup of tea :p

TBH that DOES sound more fun for pvp.

How do you guys feel about Channelers and BLs though?
  5. Siren Well-Known Member

There is no reason why an open PvP Time-Locked server can't launch with every class we have now, and all 100 levels and zones we have now. Nagafen already has level restriction coding and gear and skills in place for every zone we have right now, today, all 100 levels. We don't care about unlocking expansion after expansion, and would dread and revile the PvE aspects of most of them as they came because they brought nothing but trouble for Nagafen.

We just need to launch this Time-Locked open PvP server WITHOUT all the bad stuff that drove most players off Nagafen, which I have listed in this thread already. :) You will find that is what most if not basically all open PvP players in EQ2 want.

If this can't be done, then perma-lock this new open PvP server at KoS on the day of launch and be done with it. 70 levels of awesome beats all the horrid crap that came after and ran everybody off the PvP servers any day of the week.
  6. Siren Well-Known Member

Okay Roshen and Gninja, here is Roshen's direct quote right from the Annoucements "Producer's Letter" to help clear things up (you guys at Daybreak seem a little unsure of exactly what you're offering too at certain points): https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/producer’s-letter-new-fabled-ethereal-items-server-stuff-and-more.560706/

Sure thing! /shout "INC WALL OF TEXT!"

For reference, an “EverQuest Progression Server” is a server where additional content unlocks as players progress through the content, and some criteria is met. On EQ’s newest server, Ragefire, six months need to pass, players need to defeat all of the active content (ie raid bosses), and a majority of the active players on the server need to vote to open the next expansion.

“Time-Locked” doesn’t necessarily mean the same thing. Time-Locked merely means that the content is locked at some time in the history of the game. For example a time-locked server may start on a certain expansion, and may be locked from expansions after a certain point from becoming active.

What we have in EQ is a "Time-Locked Progression server" (TLP). What we're building for EQ2 doesn't need to be a copy of the EQ TLP model. It needs to be what the EQ2 players want.

The team has been discussing what the best experience is for players on the new time-locked EQ2 PvE and PvP servers that we’ll be launching this year. That being said, your feedback is important! For these servers to be successful, they really need to be the types of EQ2 gameplay experiences that our players want. The best way for us to know what our players want is for you to tell us!
  7. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

I don't think beastlords and channelers should be introduced until their correct implementation on the time line, due to balancing issues, their mythicals, etc.
    Ecno and Surgeon like this.
  8. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

They can make the Epics obtainable somehow, I'm sure and/or the myths. It's just a matter of creativity.
  9. Drew575 Active Member

Kos or EOF is my vote. primarily

TSO is secondary ( that way ROK is included)

lvl 70 pvp with all the xpacs up to Throne of New Tunaria was the best time for me in the game personally
    Ecno likes this.
  10. Slant Well-Known Member

Moving post over from PVE progression server thread

Fetish likes this.
  11. Drew575 Active Member

Lock it and Don't touch it. Make it vote based, but voting can be easily forged (especially if you allow multiple free accounts the chance to vote)
    Fetish likes this.
  12. Slant Well-Known Member

EOF is my vote. It has plenty of contested content. KOS contested and Avatars, It has class specific set bonuses. It has items with cool affects. And most importantly to me, it has the sub class AA trees, which in my mind is what added a lot of the flavor and differences in play styles between subclasses, like bring vs swash.
    Drew575 likes this.
  13. Slant Well-Known Member

If voting is involved it should be require a sub to vote.
  14. Siren Well-Known Member

Yeah, Roshen locked the other new PvP server thread, but then directed everyone to continue chatting about it in the Time-Locked PvE thread, lol. I hope he fixes the link mistake soon and redirects people here to this Time-Locked PvP Server thread instead.
  15. Siren Well-Known Member

It seems like even the devs aren't sure what they're offering at time: This post from Roshen is in this very thread here:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2...-discussion-thread.560717/page-3#post-6210011

Fixed!

To clarify, our goal for this server is to create a "Time-Locked" server. There are no plans at this time for additional expansions to unlock as players progress through content, and thus is not by definition a "Progression Server"
  16. Slant Well-Known Member

17. Strings Well-Known Member

Maybe these two need to talk to each other (both of these are from this thread).

Siren likes this.
  18. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

They do, but I think they're basically saying "it's up to the players" in the long run.
  19. Mhoker New Member

right so this is going to be the most important post for devs to read on this thread

i played on nagafen for years

heed this warning or you may as well just drop the idea of a progression pvp server altogther

if your going to make a new pvp progression server all options,settings,peoples wants,needs,hopes and dreams are trivial other than this

USE CONTINUAL MEMORY ADDRESS RESETS FOR THIS SERVER

if you dont your new playerbase population that you get from creating this server will turn to dust because of the 3rd parties being used in pvp

i spoke with rothgar about this in bg's beta and you guys appear to have implemented something into bg's to do it

although whatever that is may not be perfect at least it does seem to work most of the time

keep the 3rd parties off the pvp server and you will have a long lasting high population server

ignore this for whatever reason and it will turn to dust like nagafen
  20. Roshen Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to cause any confusion caused by my previous post, and there may be some context lost because you only show my reply and not the OP. Let me clarify further

"Progression" won't be what causes additional content to unlock on these servers. Because progression doesn't unlock content, it's not a "Progression server" by definition (and thus why the name of this thread is now "Time-Locked" and NOT "Progression server")

Exactly.