PvP Running from PvP fights

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Thetmes, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Mankar Active Member

As much as it strokes my ego to have people agree with me on forums, that comment was made in error due to a misunderstanding. What the OP is asking seems reasonable. Procs putting you in combat while you are out of combat seems silly.
  2. Ucala Well-Known Member

I am confused. you want the ability to run away from pvp fights?
    but aren't you on pvp server?
  3. Thetmes Active Member

No I would actually rather have the AE turned back on so no one can run easily. However if its going to remain off which is how it looks like it will remain. Since people asked for it to be turned off ( why I have no idea ) Then a proc should not put some class into combat if they so choose to run when other class can run all day and not have to worry about a proc putting them into PvP combat. I am just asking for as even a playing field as possible for how one gets put into PvP combat. If the Devs come out and say there is nothing we can do its working as intended ........ OK no problem as I see it though and others have posted as much we do not see that this could be working as intended though.
  4. Siren Well-Known Member

Actually, even though I agree with AE being permanently removed from the game (it makes 8-level griefers' job even easier-- they should have to at least USE a few of the skills in their trays to win a PvP fight), I disagree with your idea for procs.

Just as lowbies have the *option* to run, that option should not come without a price. I'm very anti-griefer, but I don't think it's too much to ask for lowbies to have to decide to shut off their procs if they're going to make a habit of running. Most of those auto-procs don't do crap to help you anyway (especially against someone 8 levels higher, and that's who's usually chasing you). :p
  5. Thetmes Active Member

OK I see your point but turn it on the other foot. Say a lv 21 guard out questing gets jumped by a scout duo of lv 18's the guard is thrown into PvP combat by a proc and cannot run if they wanted to. Same guard then attacks an even con or better scout that is also solo scout runs off for the hills no problem brings back 2 more to help and get the update. Where in any of this would it be remotely fair/even for someone that wants to run to avoid being an update but cannot? Just change it so that procs in general will not put someone into PvP combat its not a game changer other than for those who want the ""easy kill"" of being able to put a solo low DPS class into combat. Which is what it looks like you want Siren. Yes I read your post several times and while you say one thing you say another by suggesting people run around unbuffed.. You know guards and zerks get real squishy in PvP at low levels with no buffs on right talking almost a 2 shot from an orange con with no buffs on which can happen even if you can turn and run with range auto attack doing as much damage as it does at the moment.
  6. Milambers Active Member

Procs putting you in PvP is a bug, always has been. If you find one that is you should /bug or /petition it and maybe make a post in the item section.
  7. Thetmes Active Member

Its the proc off the buff not an item. I submitted /bug will send a /petition when I get back to the house.
  8. Fetish Well-Known Member

I honestly prefer auto engage to be turned on. With the OOC health/mana regeneration rates, and the short time of snares and roots, it isn't easy for any class to catch a dedicated runner when the mechanics are set up for PvP to be completely consensual. While the current environment is ok with no AE...if mount speeds go any faster than they are now, we won't be far from the situation that caused the lack of PvP on the old red servers; Everyone just able to ignore PvP engagement. I mean if you seriously think that a hex doll root and a snare is going to give you time to kill a runner of certain classes, you are playing a class that doesn't need them. I'm to am frustrated when I'm on my non-ganking mechanics classe (Defiler sucks!), but just as much as mechanics shouldn't be weighted too favorably for gankers (Such as no zoning if attacked), the balance tipping the other way means less (or even no) PvP...so be careful what you wish for.
  9. Ilovecows Active Member

Some classes it isn't that important. The guard buff proc doesn't actually do anything in pvp. It literally has no purpose at all. But look at the dirge proc ability. It is part my main solo buff. Having to turn this off whenever I am out to be able to have the option of running away from pvp means I have to sacrifice half of my mitigation, half of my resists, half of my avoidance and around 15% of my agility. That is a serious detriment to me, especially since it makes me die way too easily. Buffs shouldn't proc people into pvp, just as they don't proc people into pve.
  10. Blaaahblahblah New Member

I posted this that it would turn into Everrun also and is a major contributing factor to the population decline of pvp servers. I was swarmed by fame huggers.
  11. Kittybock Well-Known Member

I had a creepy little beast run across a zone to get away from me yesterday, even though we were both on mounts. No idea how he was that fast. I'd already ranged him, so if he were locked in combat--like I have been when folks hit me-- he'd have been dead. Thanks for the info though, turning off my zerk buff when server comes up and looking at my other toon, etc.

From what I have seen thus far, we all need to roll Scouts, Coercers and Illys, on the Freep side ;) Just saying.
  12. Twinbladed Well-Known Member

It seems the view point on this should be looked at the other way around. You would assume to find a way around why players run in the first place.

You have people who use it as a technique:
    I don't really see a ranger/illy/cong/lock/wizard/necro/coe/fury/warden/temp/Inq/Def/Mystic wanting someone jumping right in there face with absolutely 0 response time to defend themselves. That's 13 classes that will be more effected by a change like that than any others. Which ATM would put it as more than half the classes in unnecessary situations just because someone shot an auto attack off.

People who are fame huggers:
    While I don't really understand why it is important, a lot of people play only for this reason. You make them auto engage they will more than likely stop playing, cause they can't keep the titles. As dumb as it sounds, it is a reality.

People who are waiting for other players:
    Since it is not a secret that running around by yourself is the brightest idea as of the moment, turning that mechanic on to jump on top of someone while they are waiting on their group members to arrive at the scene as not to revive half way across a zone also plays into a lot of it.

People who do not want to be jumped
    This is probably the biggest reason of them all as to why it would just be a terrible idea. Most people like to go out in large stack groups, some in small groups. There is this other type of player who likes to have their pvp by themselves. So in the eye sight of someone solo, they are not going to really agree to a playstyle of being forced to get jumped on while fishing for one on one's.

People who are not readily geared
    You look at people from level 10-20 just coming in, or even on an alt. A lot of people don't grab spells and gear at low level. So they don't feel competitive enough to even associate themselves into that environment yet. You want to talk about what really kills a new players interest, it is this one right here. The idea they can't even make a toon to even learn how to play with being constantly under someone radar forced locked to them.

Cons between 10,20,30 are so off balance
    As of the moment, if you are fighting 8 levels in these ranges and come across a player that is orange con, your skill level barely matter in most these situations. You can barely land attacks, your dmg is mitigated harder, the attacks you use are most like being counter by a lot stronger ones, because until you hit 32, getting out of all your completely useless grade of spells and ca's is a grind. So this is yet another reason why people do not want to auto engage.

Just think how many players sit in each one of those populations. Then add them altogether verse this one opinion.
  13. Fetish Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct...there are soooooooo many things that would make a person want to run, that AE needs to be turned on...or nearly everyone (by your own examples) would run.

I don't like being ganked either...but there is, even at this beginning stage of the TL Server, such a disparity between IC and OOC mechanics (OOC speed buffs, health regen, mana regen), that having the default being no-AE creates an environment where everyone runs, and as you've shown with your examples...there are so many reasons why someone would, that you need to force people into combat to make things balance. When both combatants are IC then they both have sprint, both have the same regen possibilities, both have the same restrictions on ability use (evac for example). It seems that people fear that AE is used by gankers to kill people...believe me, the people who are endeared to that playstyle gain more from the lack of AE than they do by locking you into combat. Players who are out looking for easy kills for infamy/kill count/whatever are going to engage you the same way, when the odds are ever in their favor. What auto engagement will do is give the non-ganking class types the chance to fight the ganking types on a more even ground.
  14. Siren Well-Known Member

I play tanks. :p

I can't think of any defensive stance that auto-procs damage when attacked, and that's what if anything is going to help you in any fight. Those piddling dmg procs don't do beans, and you can put them on if you are going to stay and fight. Leaving them off gives you the extra option of running. I don't think they're nearly as dramatic as you're trying to make it.

And when you're wearing plate, you go down tougher anyway. Sure, EQ2 tanks (except the SK) are basically poking people with their toothpicks. It's really stuns and knockdowns that are gonna help you more than straight dmg in a fight as a tank.

If you want heavy dps in a fight and you're a tank, then team with dps classes...or roll a dps class.
  15. Slant Well-Known Member

I have never had my troub self buff put me in combat.

Auto engage only benefits the aggressor.

You want help securing kills, ask for snares to be fixed. 5 second on a 20-30 reuse isn't even enough time to close a gap. Boost them back up to their original values and suddenly runners are easier to catch. And if you're the runner and you don't like being snared, you always have the option of using a cure pot. Which of course puts you in combat =P But hey, thats your choice. As it should be.

And OOC regen is a separate issue that can be toned down separately. Adding AE because of regen is unnecessary and overkill. Its like replacing a windshield because its dirty.
  16. Efrath New Member

You know, while I personally have argued to get in AE and also tweak the fame system to compensate, your suggestion is a very good compromise that I think most would be fine with if it got implemented. Right now we do have way too many runners and it's far too easy to choose when to engage since you can just outrun your attacker with ease, even with mounts only being at 29%.

Perhaps also give Evac a longer CD when used while being attacked by enemy players, as to give a penalty to those peeps that literally stay in safe zones until Evac is up before going out. I mean, Evac should be an emergency spell, not a reliable way to keep your title safe. Or maybe even raise all evacs to be as long as SK's Evac. 15 minutes isn't that long of a wait I think and 30 minutes might be just long enough without making it too long nor short. That's just my opinion though.
  17. Twinbladed Well-Known Member

People waiting 15 minutes on evac is penalty to their own gameplay. Im hardly seeing an issue with finding people to fight at all. That's why I'm not understanding the point of this thread. As I was saying earlier you'd only be doing more harm turning auto engage back on. If the world was perfect and everyone played the same and factions were equal I could see it not being a actual issue. The truth is only a few people actually want auto engage. This topic has been shot down 3 times already. People just don't want it. I dont blame them for the most part all it does is discourage people. You can count way more problems with it, than actual fixes. Right now the server is hot. So it isnt like finding targets are difficult. I cant speak for how many q's go out and pvp, but I know I see 5+ freeps on my way to Ts in ant, more in Ts. Alot more in nek forest. Constantly in open zones, and almost every time I log in even in the cities. Im just not understanding the point of this. There is people at every turn. Every class except like 4 is able to lock down a target for a short duration. Everyone gets a free mount at the end of the newb questlines. I mean seriously the amount of cc's flying around are insane to have to have auto engage.
    Siren likes this.