Pure random vs grinding 'currency'

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Twofeets, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Merriel Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, some of us find grinding to be so much more tedious and mind-numbing than the rng, albeit the rng isn't always very favorable.

I have actually come to the point of very little participation in holiday events due to the exorbitant increase of prices on the merchants for items and the (mind-numbing) inability to spend countless hours grinding to obtain the needed currency.

If the devs don't think that holiday events should be an enjoyable event, and want to create time sinks instead, then I cannot appreciate these events very much at all and I will simply make do without the items I don't end up getting as a result.

I am not going to do something I do NOT enjoy doing, regardless of whatever "benefit" or "loss", however you look at it, brings to me. It simply is what it is.

I am not saying that others may not enjoy grinding, but it literally, physically, puts me to sleep within a very short time of starting the grind. Any repetitive task has the same effect on me, and I cannot appreciate any event that requires endless grinding.
    Navarre, Quillyne, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  2. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

It's sort of like Marie Kondo'ing EQ2. Have to ask yourself, does this [task/action/whatever] spark joy in you? If not, out it goes....
    Twofeets, Tekka, Cyrrena and 4 others like this.
  3. Almee Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I haven't found that spark of joy for some time now. On the plus side, I'm catching up on all the TV shows and movies I've missed over the past 15 years.
    Jaeded, Tekka, Cyrrena and 1 other person like this.
  4. Raff Well-Known Member

So much unhappiness in this thread. Geez, people...go play something else for awhile and chill. I've left the game multiple times over the years when I didn't care for certain xpacs. ToV & AoM come to mind in that respect...though there are others too.

It is not the end of the world if you don't like a particular xpac in EQ2.
    Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  5. Erudinel Conceptualized a turd in a toilet sometime in 2005

So spend 40/80/120+ on a game + sub... and the answer to voicing concerns about what we bought is, just dont play it?
    Twofeets, Almee, Tekka and 1 other person like this.
  6. Raff Well-Known Member

This thread has gone far beyond just "voicing concerns".
    Twofeets and Breanna like this.
  7. Erudinel Conceptualized a turd in a toilet sometime in 2005

Actually its been pretty civil IMO. Which I am sure is why we're still chugging along on this thread.
    Jaeded, Almee, Tekka and 1 other person like this.
  8. Shunty New Member

These valid concerns need to be voiced and ultimately listened to instead of being brushed off with ‘just take a break’ or ‘play something else’.
    Twofeets, Almee, Tekka and 1 other person like this.
  9. Erudinel Conceptualized a turd in a toilet sometime in 2005

Exactly, its been status quo for years... don't like it? take a break... Come back later when it may be better. Fewer and fewer people return each time.
    Quillyne, Twofeets, Almee and 2 others like this.
  10. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Kander says changes are coming to EQ2's Overseer. Everyone can chill. :p
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Almee Well-Known Member

And that, in a nutshell, is the problem. I spent over $1K on BoL because I knew I was going to be bed bound for 6 months while taking chemo. So far, nothing has made me feel like even a fraction of that amount was well spent.

I do see potential for BoL to become a pretty decent xpac, however, and the way things are going, with COVID-19, I might be laid up a lot longer than I expected so I might get my money's worth out of the xpac in the future.

Meanwhile, I am playing other games. I periodically check to see if the overseer quests have been fixed, and I do some of the festival features, but otherwise I'm finding non-EQ2 ways to entertain myself.

But the slow response to issues is costing DB money. I just cancelled another sub yesterday and I'm seriously considering cancelling my last two subs. Other players have stated that they cancelled their subs also.

I'm not cancelling subs out of spite--I'm doing it to finance buying and playing other games. I have a monthly budget for gaming and I can buy the equivalent of a collector's edition, of a game, for what I was spending on the 5 subs I've cancelled. Last month I bought ESO and this month it will probably be GW2 or FF XIV. I figure that will give me two alternatives to play when EQ2 is down or having issues.

I don't think any of us, who are talking about current issues, want to see DB fail with EQ2. It is more like we are brainstorming ways to improve features that are currently problematic.

It also allows us to keep our sense of EQ2 community alive since we aren't doing that in game as we would normally do. If we didn't do that, I suspect we would all just slowly drift away from the game.

That would hurt DB and EQ2 and I imagine that is why Dreamweaver lets us complain as long as we keep it civil. It shows that we are still interested in the game. When we stop complaining, it will be because we have moved on.
    Jaeded, Argosunited, Tekka and 3 others like this.
  12. Erudinel Conceptualized a turd in a toilet sometime in 2005

I think this is about more than just the Overseer stuff though. That is just one aspect of the RNG dilemma. There is no real incentive for people to run the instances in this xpac outside of raiding, aside from weeklies/dailies.

I get that they are short staffed and can only create so much content for an expansion. And that the goal is to have people run that same instanced scripted content over and over again. But to almost exclusively rely on RNG as the carrot for running on that treadmill leads to disenfranchised people who just don't have the dice. An incremental progress carrot via currency to ultimately "get the goods" combined with a random chance to get something as a drop along the way, would go a long way towards restoring group gameplay.
    Navarre, Twofeets, Jaeded and 4 others like this.
  13. Erudinel Conceptualized a turd in a toilet sometime in 2005

Sorry to hear that Almee, I hope that everything goes well for you healthwise!

ESO is a great game as long as you can handle the control scheme!
  14. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

They will probably institute another currency-based progression model for Summer Ethereals (i.e. Astral-Gloom Armor/Adornments from 2019).
  15. Nawtey Active Member

Source?

And no offense, but at this point I trust Kander less than anything you say.
    Argosunited, Tekka and Rhodris like this.
  16. Raff Well-Known Member

Honestly...why should they listen to any of you? All of these "problems" are just your opinions. And the level of discontent by a certain cadre of forumites does not even remotely approach the reality of the game.

There are a whole lot of us still playing, raiding, running groups, leveling alts and generally having a good time. This forum has become a literal hotbed of negativity that is not generally shared anywhere but here. Mostly because so many of you blow minor problems way out of proportion.....over and over and over...ad nauseum.
    Breanna likes this.
  17. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

From Discord (posted by Kander, Wednesday at 10:01 AM PST):

18. Nawtey Active Member

Thanks - guess everything's on Discord now. So much for we'll do better with our communicating in that note a month ago.

But I still don't buy it. A month ago we were told the Essence of Chaos would be useful and we'd want to hold onto them. Since then, crickets - oh, and a ban for the person that joked about Essence of Chaos and RNG crates on Discord. How long since class balance was promised? The way crafting has been treated? And above all, the deafening silence from everyone except ttobey, Kaitheel, and Dreamweaver?

The list of things being promised continues to grow and the list of things being delivered - wait, nothing's been delivered.
    Argosunited, Almee, Tekka and 2 others like this.
  19. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Kander has stated that they lost some coders and are currently short handed. I think we can see that in the "roughness" of BoL vs. CD. Though, most people are saying that they enjoy BoL over CD.

Overseer changes such as Overseer currency and merchant are already in for EQ1. I suspect EQ2 will follow.
    Breanna likes this.
  20. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Kander has set specific dates (Tuesday, next GU) for Overseer changes. The players can offer feedback on the 'Test Server' and 'Bug Reports' forum. I, for one, am grateful that the devs are listening and actively involved!
    Breanna likes this.