Publishing houses giving credit to the decorator.

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Bregdania, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Bregdania Active Member

I know this subject has been bought up many times but it can't help to raise it again.
    My carpenter does all the decorating for my alts who each have to own prestige houses. I would dearly love for my carpenter Decim to receive the accolades for her work rather than her alt family (myself included) who benefit from her endeavors.
    Similarly, anyone can ask someone to decorate a home for them and then publish it. Does the decorators creativity get acknowledged? No - just the owner. That just doesn't seem right at all.
    Tariya and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. pumancat Well-Known Member

I agree, but what if you've had several decorators helping on certain items? My good friend and guildy helped alot on decorating my island with trees and my pond, Then Jazabelle started a barn, and Misstiny finished it. Angren's Hideaway is on AB server, and I wanted to give credit to these wonderful helpers also when I finally published it.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Drat...I think at this point, the only recourse we would have would be to put a ginormous blank book/personalizable card up right as people come in, and make them read it before getting around it to see the rest of the place...or just somewhere prominent, so they can't miss it. I like what many decorators and home owners do about comments, where they have something like this, or a magic mouth go off, to tell folks to send them comments/critiques (other than just "Like/Not" votes) through the mail, and they'll post them in the "guest book." At least there, the folks responsible can get their names in the credits, so to speak. :)

Uwk
  4. Bregdania Active Member

I understand what you are both saying here and I personally think it is wonderful Pumancat, to have various people help with decorating the one home. I love helping out in that way too.
    I've also used your idea Uwk of asking people to write a note through the mail and then I publish them in a "Guest Book" It works fine for those who are genuinely interested and respond. I guess that is the audience we are looking for. Other than posting on the Norrathian Homeshow, there are few ways of gaining feedback and encouragement.

I think more than anything I am referring to the instances where we have many alts but only one who decorates the places and there should be a way to nominate the alt decorator responsible rather than the owner of the home within your account. Heck if my decorator wanted all the "glory" (LOL) the rest of my crew would be living in tenements while she had all the prestige houses.
  5. Faeonara Well-Known Member

If it's a personal alt I usually tack on "by Faeonara " to the name of the house when I go to publish it .If its for someone else and they are planning on publishing it I ask them if they mind if I do the same . With so many folks giving helpful tips and suggestions I can only thank everyone for being such good hearted enough to share their ideas with me and credit them where I can .
  6. msgnomer Active Member

I do like the idea of being able to turn over credit to one other character. That way it's still one house, one design credit. Maybe there is some issue with being able to do this, but I still like the idea whether it's between alts or completely open. I can see how it could be a non-trivial task to change though. Do you add something to list both house owner and house designer or what. For now, I settled on the idea of just putting any trophies in the home of the character who does the designs. That doesn't help the people who design for other players though.
  7. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

I keep feedbacking that the devs need to include a little field in the publish house list for the decorator. It could go right under the field for house name. Then, both the home owner and the decorator could get a little recognition when people visit. I say both because, sometimes, I would never do something a certain way unless the home owner wants it. For example, Dalvaren's EF home would have been skinned entirely different had the owner not specifically requested certain colors and styles.

I suppose, if you wanted to be fair, the achievement could go straight to the decorator only, but both the home owner and the decorator could each get a trophy: one for the decorator's central hub and one for the homeowner's house. *shrugs* It's not so much the achievement or trophy that bothers me, just the recognition.

For now, putting "by Soandso" works.
  8. Bregdania Active Member

Faenora I will definitely use that idea on my alt homes now - love it! Along with a visitors book where appropriate.
    I'm glad to hear your thoughts on this too msgnomer and Sapphirius because I thought perhaps I was being a bit too persnickety about this topic LOL! Glad to see how others feel too.
  9. Pastelmm Member

I think this subject is in need of thought. I do agree the Decorator should be accredited not who made the items in the home. I feel when we publish there should be "Publish home by: Decorator or Self Decorated" as choices. However, It should game mail the person to approve if it is a different account- to make privacy a choice. :) That is my idea... :) But yes, in all, the issue should be looked at a little more serious. :) I also would like Publisher notes like 3 statements or so that we could put to say, "Bathroom and bed room done by so-n-so and living room/garden done by.... ; or what ever we see fit on that... :)
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Something that relatively complex is a good reason to have a book/card/whatever available, with a note re: "in-game mail for comments". That way, you can put all sorts of things in the front, like:

Welcome to Carpy Customer's House!
    Home Decorated By: Ima Decorator
    Furniture Made By: Number One'Carpy [sometimes, you can have at least 3 different people involved: the house owner, the carpenter who made stuff, and the decorator; often, the decorator will also be the main carpenter, but not always]
    With Assistance From:
    Ido Smallrooms
    Landscape Luv'r
    Bedroom I'z
    Thanks to all who contributed on this project! Favorable comments to follow! :->

Granted, you can't actually underline anything in the books/cards (not that I know of, anyway), but you get the idea. If they do add anything we can fill in on the Boards, it'll probably be just one line, like we can in guild member lists (if we have the permission to change personal notes; usually, most ranks do), which would limit entries by quite a bit. :-/ Perhaps all we could really do with that would be to say, "Much thanks to everyone who worked on this!" like folks in the Academy Awards speeches who have to thank X amount of folks in a short span of time.

Uwk
    Bregdania likes this.
  11. Pastelmm Member

I agree you could use the player made, cards or books, but I feel some pple do not read or even know about them. But the MOUTH thing may be awesome :) to use. Either to broadcast decorator or to say there is a book to read. However, if "they" implement some kind of decorator leader board, then the decorator could receive a type of trophy or certificate that glows or something... :) would be cool!! :)
  12. Bregdania Active Member

There are some really good ideas here but oh I do like this particularly. :)

I'd even be happy if there was provision for the "decorator" have it register in their "Achievements" list!!!!!
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

An entirely separate Board? Or maybe a separate tab in the existing Housing Board...that could work! :)

Uwk