Producer's Letter: Coming Right Up!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Morbic Member

They are giving the quests/zones for free and seem to be charging for everything else that is part of the expansion as it trickles down to f2p/silver player access. I can see charging for expansions to generate revenue before the trickle-down effect happens since it helps offset the costs of creating said content. I just dislike being overcharged for the same content if somebody who buys it as a whole pays less for it...
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that those who buy it as a whole should pay more for it? Then who would ever buy it as a whole?

The individual parts should at best cost the same as buying it as a whole. Generally they would and should cost more, especially if the parts get sold on the Marketplace, where things like double sc will cut the cost dramatically. But bundles almost always cost less than the sum of their parts, and that discount is often the main draw to buying the whole group rather individual items.
    Alenna likes this.
  3. Morbic Member

The ones who buy the pieces would most likely only be able to do so 2 expansions later when they add it to the store. If it is still available as a whole, I don't mind, but if they remove the option to buy it as a whole later on and you can only buy the parts that make up the whole with the access to the quests/zones that were part of the expansion already available, would you really want to pay over the equivalent cost for the bundle to get those items?
  4. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

"Two expansions later" would be now, and Holly states up front that the full xpac will still be sold. Sounds like there might be some confusion as to the content, though. Age of Discovery had no zones that were part of it, unless you count player-made dungeons. The only content released at the same time was the updated City of Freeport, which is of course free content to all players.

So what they're doing now is offering the mechanics either in the current bundle/xpac, or as individual purchases. So if you want mercs and beastlords, but have no use for tradeskill apprentices and no interest in making dungeons, you can get just the stuff you want. But if you want it all, or want enough of that the bundle is cheaper than the individual pieces, buy the xpac.
  5. Morbic Member

Sorry, got some things mixed up in my head since the first post was mentioning DoV zones and AoD content.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thing is, most of the people who are complaining about not having anyone to group with are not the people who are content to experience the content by themselves going solo. ;->

Uwk
  7. Feldon Well-Known Member

Get an inch, take a mile.
  8. Cisteros Active Member

I wasn't as clear as I could have been in my original post. I was speaking of the people complaining about the introduction of the new Heroic characters and in the next breath saying they don't group now and have no plans of grouping with these insults to gaming after.
  9. Mixxit Active Member

I have loved the content updates recently with regards to the way you are deploying your quests and bringing them to life but having said that i am really struggling with the 40$ cost for generally two overland zones and some dungeons that I end up redoing to death and that I also need to (and fail) convince my friends to purchase to play with me

I understand there are not that many players playing and you have to pay your staff but if you could at least break up your expansions into subcomponents like you are planning to do with the features of AoD that might go a long way

I was a little saddened that my purchase of Velious didn't include Temple of Veeshan which I would consider to be one of the main features of Velious on everquest and I kind of expected it to come with it

I'll probably end up buying it anyway but I thought i'd give you my honest opinion - it's not the devs I have an issue with here I think they do a wonderful job I guess it's more sales dept that is leaving the sour taste in my mouth and to me EverQuest is one of the games i've adored for years and it should be the one game that I can say to people 'sony did it right'
  10. Bashem Well-Known Member

This game has become "free to pay" not "free to play" everything in the game costs real life money and we cant even buy expansions packs with our station cash any more. The has become overrun with paying soe new marketing item as well. I love the game but the marketing is too much.
  11. Ucala Well-Known Member

to be fair. Soe putting expacs on the marketplace for station cash was probably the dumbest thing they could probably do. expacs were virtually selling for like 5, 10 dollars. subs were going for like 4 dollars for a year.
    after all, this is a business.
    Wirewhisker, Feara and Feldon like this.
  12. Twyxx Well-Known Member

They're missing out now by not offering a krono type solution for xpacs. People are already trading plat for steam xpacs in open channel. They'd get more sales if a more convenient option was available.
    Alenna, Avirodar and Le Clown like this.
  13. Avirodar Well-Known Member

It was only "the dumbest thing they could probably do" because of a severe lack of foresight by marketing.

Week #1) Buying SC gives you double/triple returns. Includes SC cards.
    Week #2) Everything on the marketplace is half price! Expansions/Subscriptions are included!
    Week #3) Buying SC gives you double/triple returns. Includes SC cards.
    Week #4) Everything on the marketplace is half price! Expansions/Subscriptions are included!
    Week #5) Buying SC gives you double/triple returns. Includes SC cards.
    Week #6) Everything on the marketplace is half price! Expansions/Subscriptions are included!

Of course people taken advantage of it...

The problem was NOT the fact that expansions/subscriptions were on the marketplace. The problem was the extreme and excessive nature in which SOE ran "stackable" promotions, with what seemed to be blatant disregard for the possibility of existing customers capitalizing on the sales.

If double/triple SC purchase days were rare (and timed appropriately), and marketplace discounts excluded subscriptions/expansions, there is no reason that expansions and subscriptions could not still be on the marketplace.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Sales departments in virtually every business are like children who've been raised on the idea that they're the greatest, most important members of the family, ever, that there's nothing they can do wrong, that everything they do is incredible and everything they touch will turn to gold, regardless of whether or not that's true. Anyone here remember Dudley Dursley from the Harry Potter saga? ;->

As such, something tells me they have no real need to try all that hard, or even "work smarter." ;->

Uwk
    Feldon likes this.
  15. Feldon Well-Known Member

LOL exactly. Sales, Marketing. They've convinced the world that what they do is magical and that they are irreplaceable.
  16. Alenna Well-Known Member

if you don't want to have what htey offer you don't have to take it do you? you are free to make your own mind up on how you play given what they offer.

yes I"m glad for there are those of my friends who didn't want everyting AoD offered will get a chance to pick and choose what they want or even to get them as they can afford them.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

My main fear (and it's probably unjustified, since we still don't have all the parameters yet) is that it will be the new model for character creation. :-/

And yeah, AoD broken down will rock, I think. :)

Uwk
  18. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

Little confused on this, was under the impression that once you purchase the latest xpacs through SOE they auto-register to your account. Does it work differently if it is purchased from Steam?
  19. Thalador Active Member

Bottom line is the xpac content and innovativeness do not justify the $40 each. Back years ago they did but no longer.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  20. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

matter of opinion. You can purchase it or not.