Producer's Letter: August 2015 Updates

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Tin Foil Hats!

Please?
  2. Charlice Well-Known Member

Feels more to me like they've now thought, 'Oh ****! They don't like that idea. Back to the drawing board.'

No tin foil hat theory on my part, it is just how I perceived the ham handed post. Ham handed? Wtf does that even mean?
  3. Naramsin Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this! This way, if two or more Naramsins are on the new server, we all don't have to change our first names, but we will need to select a surname or Last Name. Naramsinx just doesn’t sound right, and may just attract remarks like “Everything and the Kitchen Naramsinx” or “The Riddle of the Naramsinx”, lol.

Getting everything back into the same place before the merge shouldn't be a problem if you save a layout of the house or guild hall in question before the merge. Then after the merge, if anything is out of place, just load the layout from the door.

The only problem I see is if house items don't copy over from the old server to the new. I would save the layout files of my houses with the description “Before server merge” in the name. Then after the merge use JesDyr's Layout Editor to compare the contents to see if anything is missing, this includes the crate.

If anything is missing from there the best that can be done it seems is to file a petition about the missing items.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and suka like this.
  4. suka Well-Known Member

yes that is the bug that is in housing right now. you move to another server, your house and all of your items get lost. so i am assuming that part of the progress they are working on is how to fix that bug
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Naramsin like this.
  5. Naramsin Well-Known Member

Another question would be about depots. Would we lose the contents we deposited into our depots when our toons are copied to the new server?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  6. suka Well-Known Member

i think that was included in making sure we don't lose anything. i know they are working on trying not to overlook anything. i think that despite all their efforts, they will still be swamped by requests and losses after the move. i am afraid that falls under Murphy's Law
  7. Mermut Well-Known Member

This would require a big change to how last/sur names work
    1) everybody would be required to have one
    2) they could never be changed without a name change potion
    3) they would have to be displayed (on dwell, in group windows, raid windows, friends list, guild windows, etc)
  8. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

Ham handed definition:

lacking dexterity or grace
  9. Katz Well-Known Member

I think that you replied to the wrong game. This isn't LOTRO. :p
  10. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

I can't find any references, but If I remember correctly about when mentoring was first introduced it was like you are wanting. The huge problem was that you had to wait forever while your hot bars were repopulated with your old spells and gear would fly off that was over level. And then when you went back to level you had to endure the huge problem of repopulating hot bars, re-gearing, etc. It was shortly thereafter, say about a week, that they decided to use the current system.
  11. LoybalfImiavSordufjo New Member

The way I remember it was manually dealing with that stuff, it was horrible.
  12. Lera Well-Known Member

And what about the person who played a lot years ago but hasn't been back in 5 years, versus the player who's played less but is currently active? If you can't log in, get someone else to log in for you.

They could make it longer, like logged in within the past year, but then more names get preserved for players who aren't around anymore.
  13. Lera Well-Known Member

The issue with "time played" is that it preserves the name for the broker mule who stayed logged in all the time years ago (remember those, when you had to be online to sell?). I suppose Daybreak could look at the data and see how many people that effects.
  14. Charlice Well-Known Member

They generally take that into account.

15. suka Well-Known Member

mm- unless maybe they required a hyphenated middle name and let us keep the surnames. there has to be a way to make sure each name is unique without wiping our names in a transfer
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Naramsin like this.
  16. Hreysti Member

I am happy that you're so happy that the "vomit coaster" is back in the game! How can we trust anything you say or do after such comments? Any other things that you are adamantly against such as the suburbs coming back, stats having meaning again, WORTS, shard recovery, etc. If so, I might hold out hope for EQII.
  17. Alarra Well-Known Member

When you consolidate the Japan servers can you make it easier to do channel commands, the IME can be quite clunky when typing /2 etc. I found that the only channel being used when I was there was the LFG channel. They apparently only use guild and group chat as it is annoying to type in slash commands by changing to alpha then back to kana.
  18. Alarra Well-Known Member

I suspect that it will go down a little like this, they will make all names that are currently in use on one of the servers that are to be consolidated unusable for new characters for a specific time frame.
    The person who logs in first with the name will get their name.
    The next person will get an x on their name and a free rename potion.

The name issue is always the heart of the server merge issue. Hence why they didn't want to do it and go through the cross server dungeon finder path instead.

Well if another Alarra gets my name, I won't be mad, but I can probably say I have played much longer than them and they may get a few tells for a few months until they can tell all the people I know that I have changed to a new name.

I have a reputation and identity attached to my name so hopefully if I do have to change it, people will associate it with the new identity.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and suka like this.
  19. lili Member

Long time players losing their names will drive them away .... long time guilds losing their names will drive their players away ... and we all lose .... just saying ... and we already lost tons of folks over some decisions/disasters of soe/daybreak over the last year or two.

[IMG]
    there --- fixed just for you Bhayar! (sorry it was late!)
  20. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Would love to see the two name system, as ever name could have a unique # in the back on the database (i hardly think, that gave some problems, but that depends on, how the system is runing.)

But, yeah, sometimes in the mirror "Hell, what happen.... I dont know you, but i gona fresh you up :D "