Producer Letter: About Heroic Characters...

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Neiloch Well-Known Member

good to hear.
  2. Mae- Well-Known Member

Well to be fair, she said they will open up channelers to Heroic Characters at a later date. They just want to allow people the race for first to max lvl/aa etc. that many enjoy. Not me... I'll roll mine and probably sit on it for a few months until the leveling frenzy has died down, like I did with my BL hehe.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Mae you are now coming across as very close minded and living up to your subtitle of mean. Given that there is only a 2 week window in which to create one of these toons wtihout PAYING to create....do you seriously think they'll get to go free for all with broker if their account isn't set up that way? Calmness woman. Ommm...Ommm...
  4. Regolas Well-Known Member

I doubt that very much. If you're a f2p account, you'll have f2p restrictions. The heroic toons original gear will be unlocked, but new gear of the appropriate tier will have to be unlocked to wear.
    Kuulei likes this.
  5. Mae- Well-Known Member

LOL! I have not interpreted Holly's words like that, I am merely asking for clarification since it's very clear in this thread that there ARE people who have read what she said and taken it to mean that they will get a character with gold-level access for FREE. I just want that part clarified, because I think they're wrong and I think SOE needs to clarify before the rumor becomes "fact" and people get angry when it ends up being false.
    Zarriya and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  6. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Good point. RadarX? Your turn at the helm.
  7. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

BTW, there is also a thread in general that radar is watching.
  8. Estred Well-Known Member

If it can be interpreted as that keep in mind only unlocked Heroic Characters get this benefit which is available to F2P and P2P players alike. I know that if I can free one or two toons from subscription... I will drop 7000 SC quickly. There does need to be a very concrete answer about permanency. Unless they drop the 3500 for it, by the wording you only get a Free to Try character that can only gain one level before becoming locked until you drop 3500 SC and it's limited to one per house (meaning IP I think)
  9. Mae- Well-Known Member

Between Oct 1st and 15th, every account gets one free Heroic character (or upgrade existing character). So if these optimistic people end up being correct (again, I do not think they are), then yes, they could potentially get 1 free gold-level character on a free account.
  10. Hammdaddy Active Member

These mods getting ruthless and fast at removing relevant posts but are still letting ones posted by atan,estred, and the ****** crew run rampart around these boards.
    Pixistik, Ajjantis, Quinterra and 2 others like this.
  11. Lera Well-Known Member

I've been telling my guild for years that sooner or later we'd have a max level "easy button" - we're not quite there yet, but this is getting close. That said... the days of subscription-only MMOs are likely gone for good, but that really only matters to players who think MMOs are all about the bragging rights. If someone else wants to buy a max-level character, or even an 85, how does that affect my gameplay? All the content is there for me to level up normally and play through. I suppose someone who buys a character won't have any idea how to play it properly, but then, I don't do pickup groups. I don't really like Heroic Characters, but it's also not something that affects my gameplay.

You do realise that the devs - like the rest of us - don't work for free? The game has to make money somehow, and if the entire game were completely free to play, it would shut down pretty quickly. Would you prefer the former system, where once you quit paying your $15 a month, you didn't have access to anything? Now you can at least play.
  12. Regolas Well-Known Member

Gold is account wide, not character specific. I guarantee the heroic toons on a f2p account WILL NOT be gold.
  13. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Dunno, only post I lost so far was in a thread that was totally made to vanish.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  14. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Regolas, there was no mention of gold there...Just log on during that 2 week period and you can roll one. After that you can only trial one.
  15. Mae- Well-Known Member

And that is my rationale too, but there have been more than one post saying "She said no restrictions." And then her clarification again said "After the promotion ends on Oct. 15, all new or upgraded free Heroic Characters created from Oct. 1 to 15 will remain fully unlocked and won’t lose any functionality or features" so while I think she means that the gear, mounts and all that stuff will remain on the character, I do not in any way think she means that account restrictions will be unlocked. BUT she (or some other red name) needs to clarify to squash any rumors.
  16. Regolas Well-Known Member

Of course, I pay my sub to give money back to SOE.

I'm just saying they will lose out on people by not making the first character free. Maybe the trial period will be enough, but lets face it, if they get 1000 people interested enough to pay for a heroic character and 500 decide to subscribe, buy from the marketplace, or get 10,000 interested who get one for free and 5000 decide to stick around and subscribe and buy more stuff from the marketplace and more heroic characters, then they get more cash in the long run, and more word of mouth. The hard work is already done, once they break even on expenses for developing this feature it doesn't matter if 2 heroic characters are made that are paid for or 5000 in terms of running costs, so giving a little (1 free one per account) may result in more people and more profit in the long run.
  17. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Quick question: can the heroic character be from any class?
  18. Mae- Well-Known Member

Yes, except channelers when they come with the expansion. She said those will be released later on.
  19. Regolas Well-Known Member

The restrictions are in relation to the heroic character. As yet Holly has not elaborated on what they are, but it clearly says the trial characters have some restrictions that the non trial ones don't.

People are confusing membership restrictions with heroic character restrictions
  20. Estred Well-Known Member

I am suspecting that it means any gear obtained remains permanently unlocked which is a nice benefit that may retain players more. We need a concrete answer or we will have to pull the age old "wait and see" game and we all know how fun that is.